blaming equipment.....

MasterShake89

i know its wrong, and i refuse to do it. It seems like my double bass progress has plateaued, im stuck at about 150 bpm solid 16th notes. Im playing heals up trying to use swivel tech as much as i can on a DW 4002 Pedal. I know it cant be the pedals fault, but i just feel if i had a better pedal i could play better......am i wrong for thinking this?

edit: my right foot owns my left foot in consistancy, stamina, and speed.

Mongore

I have blamed gear so much.

Mainly when i'm playing a show i'm using another drummers drumkit...which usually sucks.
Thing I hate:

REALLLLLY old Hit Hat stands

Nuff said

stump

Sub-standard equipment can be a pain and I agree that it can effect your playing. I have played kits that were nicer than mine and tended to play better and the same goes with a crap kit I tend to play less effectively. Maybe it's a psychological thing?? Peace on ya!

phoenix7289

MasterShake89":wu5j1loy said:
i know its wrong, and i refuse to do it. It seems like my double bass progress has plateaued, im stuck at about 150 bpm solid 16th notes. Im playing heals up trying to use swivel tech as much as i can on a DW 4002 Pedal. I know it cant be the pedals fault, but i just feel if i had a better pedal i could play better......am i wrong for thinking this?

edit: my right foot owns my left foot in consistancy, stamina, and speed.
Same with my right foot.

BillRayDrums

It's all psychological. Years ago when I was teaching lots of kids I would set them against the metronome. The ones who were concerned with numbers I would tell them that they were "at 100" when in fact they were at 120. We would get up to 150 or faster and when I revealed my deception they were amazed.

Some advice- stop thinking about numbers. Start thinking about feeling. To play faster, you squish the space out of the musical passage you are playing. In other words, you aren't playing more notes per se, just less space. See it from the other side rather than thinking about the one angle.

Another thing to try is slide your feet farther back on the pedals, closer to the hinge. This will give you a different leverage to play with.

PDP9000

Ya some times i think my DW 5002 pedals are not letting me get my full BPM but its all in my head just stop thinking about the numbers and just play

Spydr2000

It's all about control. I've heard great drummers do amazing fills and foot work on crap gear. The gear might not be your own but you can't really think about that while playing..just play.

Brother_Bong

BillRayDrums":1j1y0pvw said:
It's all psychological. Years ago when I was teaching lots of kids I would set them against the metronome. The ones who were concerned with numbers I would tell them that they were "at 100" when in fact they were at 120. We would get up to 150 or faster and when I revealed my deception they were amazed.

Some advice- stop thinking about numbers. Start thinking about feeling. To play faster, you squish the space out of the musical passage you are playing. In other words, you aren't playing more notes per se, just less space. See it from the other side rather than thinking about the one angle.

Another thing to try is slide your feet farther back on the pedals, closer to the hinge. This will give you a different leverage to play with.
Agreed, speed does not come before consistancy, gear can also be to blame, but only to a point, skill will overcome. As far as the left foot thing, stop using your right foot. Put everything(single pedal stuff )on your left foot.

BleechDrummer

Well im sure alot and probally most of it is a psychological thing but I do think equipment comes in at a point. And I feel the same about good and bad drum kits......but I think it just keeps you inspired.

sabian13

all i can say is, keep at it mate the more you practise the better you get. you want notice any change straight away but in a few weeks u will realise how much u have improved

Spydr2000

I think the problem is that DW 4002 pedal... I owned DW 5000's and never had a problem. I purchased a DW 4002 for my tama kit which is just a practice kit thinking this pedal looks like my 5000's and I just could not do the foot work I could normally do with my other DW pedal. I'm not sure why that is but that pedal is the only one that ever gave me a problem.

phil-drummer

i tend to blame my stickswen they break but who doesnt. aboutn the pedals. Im using crapy pearl p120ps which are like as beginner as they come and i can get over 150 bpm dudes, so just try tightening the springs a little on the pedalls .it helps alot

drummer4thefreaks

I have a DW4002 also. I dont think about what speed im playing, i just play it, no questions asked. The only time i ever blame equipment is when something breaks mid-play, but a lot of the time thats my fault for neglecting to notice it lol.

The whole difference in equipment is all phsycological i think, like someone said earlier. If i play a 4002, then go to a 9002 in the local store, i'll play better, and thats cos its been drilled into your head that its 'superior' equipment. Sure there are slight improvements (and tbh a much much better looking pedal board ;)), but the pedal is still only responding to what you're doing with your feet. 4002s are heavier i think, so if you can get yourself to play great on the "worse" pedal, you're a better player than someone who can only play it on a upgraded one.

freakinparis

You may wanna try taking a metronome and focusing on your left foot for a few more minutes than your right foot when you do your warm ups. You left will eventually catch up to your right. As far as the pedals go, yes pedals can somewhat hinder your progress however ultimately it comes down to a matter of techniques you are using to double pedal and how often you practice it. One thing that has always helped me out is putting on a CD and playing along.

pyrokatana

I think it may be the type of mallet you have...
The DW comes wth the gigantic rubber/felt dealie, whereas something like TAMA comes with the small plastic felt batter.
Less mass, less inertia, less effort to pla them, more response from the pedal. If you slam down on the pedal with the DW the mallet ends up whacking your foot.. with the TAMA style mallet, you get that sometimes, but definitely not quite as much.

sooo DW...

odl and busted...

and TAMA...

new hotness...(i've been watching Men in Black II...)

there's my two cents.. either that or its just a setting that you haven't messed with. spring tension, you're own leg blah blah.
good luck, man
~pyro

galgano16

gear is only half the battle, skill is also needed 2 achieve greatness, good gear+good play skill/technique can = greatness