Black Panther snares. whats your view?

devilspain

simple as subject says.

ive got a Hammered steel BP snare. i think its got a great crack and spot on response. articulates everything.

anywways want to know if you've played one or havent got a clue.

id love to try there wooden snares.

Shalaq

I've got a BP Walnut 14x6.5. I great, throaty, warm and very versatile. Depending on the tuning you get a sound that is good for jazz and rock.

Adonis2121

I have a Black Birds Eye Maple BP, 6 1/2 x 14, its an amazing Drum . Its actually one of the first run of its kind I was lucky to get ahold of it. One of the better Maple snares of its size that Ive heard or own. Incidently I own about 15 snares.

devilspain

cool i would love another one. prob get one in the new year. for new gonna invest in a decent 2ndary drum. now to decide maple or walnut or stick with metal? i dunno.

Shalaq

I'd buy a wood snare, to have 2 different timbres. My next snare is definitely going to be metal(Probably DW copper 14x5.5).

necrovore

Yeah I'm with you lot, they're a sweet drum, I used to have a Birdseye Maple 14 x 3.5 though being as small as it was it had a real full sound with good response. I've since started using metal snares as I like the raspy sound and a good amount of ring, trying to get 'em to sound like swords clashing haha.
So the hammered snare, Im kinda interested in these, I saw one at the local shop and was giving thought to buying one, ive been stuck on an electronic for almost the past year :shock: , i really miss that feel and the thumping from real drums.. its been to long :!:

quikstang2

I love BP. I don't like to use anything else. I need to get one that's 6 to 7 inches deep. I'm tryring to decide between maple and hammered phosphor bronze...probably going with bonze because the set I'm going to buy comes with a 7x14" maple snare already.

Adonis2121":1045jltf said:
Qbs":1045jltf said:
I've happened to play a Black Panther 10x5,5 Maple - great aux snare! :)
I actually own one, its killer.
I've got one too. It's the older one with the flat black birdseye finish. I love this thing. Loud as hell with a nice crack. I've used it as an auxillary, a tom, a timbale and a main snare. Got it used for $100.

I've also got a 3.5x14" phosphor bronze. I love how everyone tells me that they won't hear it because it's too shallow and has not bottom end and then after I play they all come back over and tell me how sweet it sounds and that it has a decent amount of low end for a regular depth snare. Got this one used for $100 too.

Adonis2121

quikstang2":39p5ad0z said:
I love BP. I don't like to use anything else. I need to get one that's 6 to 7 inches deep. I'm tryring to decide between maple and hammered phosphor bronze...probably going with bonze because the set I'm going to buy comes with a 7x14" maple snare already.

Adonis2121":39p5ad0z said:
Qbs":39p5ad0z said:
I've happened to play a Black Panther 10x5,5 Maple - great aux snare! :)
I actually own one, its killer.
I've got one too. It's the older one with the flat black birdseye finish. I love this thing. Loud as hell with a nice crack. I've used it as an auxillary, a tom, a timbale and a main snare. Got it used for $100.

I've also got a 3.5x14" phosphor bronze. I love how everyone tells me that they won't hear it because it's too shallow and has not bottom end and then after I play they all come back over and tell me how sweet it sounds and that it has a decent amount of low end for a regular depth snare. Got this one used for $100 too.
Right on!
I have the same one

Copelandesque

Got a Black Birdseye Maple 14x5.5" meself...not the best tbh... only really works well at mid to high tuning on the batter and the resonant cranked up to the max.. the wood is audible.. but doesnt record or particularly play at low tuning.

Adonis2121

Copelandesque":l35m2rwq said:
Got a Black Birdseye Maple 14x5.5" meself...not the best tbh... only really works well at mid to high tuning on the batter and the resonant cranked up to the max.. the wood is audible.. but doesnt record or particularly play at low tuning.
How are the bearing edges?

Adonis2121

Adonis2121":2zachgk5 said:
Copelandesque":2zachgk5 said:
How are the bearing edges? I actally had the ones on my 5.5x10 redone , just cuz I wanted a bit more clarity.

The Gede

Well, My next snare its going to be metal, Hand hammered B...Im sure, but, i own a RMV Purple Heart Shell and its amazing, very warm, very loud, with a dry sense, its a very special snare sound...amazing...!!..

Copelandesque

Adonis2121":2nwwh7pv said:
Adonis2121":2nwwh7pv said:
Copelandesque":2nwwh7pv said:
How are the bearing edges? I actally had the ones on my 5.5x10 redone , just cuz I wanted a bit more clarity.
There fine, the drum is pretty much immaculate. changed the head type though, from an emperor to an emperor black dot, the drum sounds more pleasing at lower tunings now. Bought a Limited edition pearl free floater in hammered steel with reference fittings.. now thats a snare drum!!

devilspain":3gqhel9m said:
simple as subject says.

ive got a Hammered steel BP snare. i think its got a great crack and spot on response. articulates everything.

anywways want to know if you've played one or havent got a clue.

id love to try there wooden snares.
ive got the same snare, but the piccolo version. and yes your right, it does have an amazing cracky/poppy/snap to it. really cuts through everything. im thinking of getting a 30 ply wooden snare though. gonna have to start saving soon...

Drumodad

I love my Maple Panther!
Came with my Orions, Tranparent Violet finish.

Was at Guitar center awhile back,sat behind a really sweet DW set,looked down and they had a Pork Pie 6x14 Pig Lite snare on the kit. Man, that snare rocked, loud is an understatement. Articulate at lower volumes, great ghost notes. I was so impressed I asked the guy how much for THIS snare. $199.99.
My mind was set,as soon as possible I am getting this snare.
A few days later I scored a slightly used one on Ebay for,,,,,,,,,,$137.00.
Why anyone would sell one of these is a mystery to me.