BIRCH VS MAPLE!!! HELP!!!

WesNyle

Hello, ok im buying a new kit, its a Mapex not sure if I want the <A HREF="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Mapex-M-Birch-6Piece-Drum-Set-with-Free-8-Tom?sku=449727">M Birch</A> or the <A HREF="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Mapex-Pro-M-Studio-6Piece-Drum-Set-with-Free-Snare?sku=449148">Pro M (Maple)</A> PLEASE HELP!!! Ive been playing for about two years and can play decently but dont know alot about the DRUMS themselves, PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

drummert2k

im a fan of birch myself. maple has a really great uniformed level of lows, mids and highs. all about the same with great body and warmth.

birch has the low end and mids of maple but the highs are boosted just a bit. i find it helps the attack but still maintains the body and fullness.

i'd tell ya to go to a music store and find a birch kit and a maple kit and give a few hits so you can hear for yourself.

anavrinIV

im also a fan of birch. ive always found that birch sets sound deeper than the maples i compare them to and the sound is spectacular.

i think the only thing better might be african mahogany/bubinga.

Howepirate

drummert2k":sy2470n8 said:
im a fan of birch myself. maple has a really great uniformed level of lows, mids and highs. all about the same with great body and warmth.

birch has the low end and mids of maple but the highs are boosted just a bit. i find it helps the attack but still maintains the body and fullness.

i'd tell ya to go to a music store and find a birch kit and a maple kit and give a few hits so you can hear for yourself.
You couldn't have said that better.

iatemygoat

drummert2k":1lxmww6z said:

you read that right from the wesite didnt u? haha

im actually in the same boat as this guy but am definately leaning towards the birch more and more. same kit i think. the 6 piece with the free 10" tom. black forest green, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Sway

I think its more about what you like. The Pro M is bigger tom sizes so if you like a lower sound id say get those. I have an M Birch and you can get bigger toms on that too and you also get a free tom so i would get the M Birch. You'll just have more to do and stuff and you can always take a tom away if you need to.

devilspain

dude if you thinking about M birch and Pro M kits dude go for the pro M its has better hardware! both sound awesome but your get more options for the Pro m and better finishes!!

devilspain

Sway":24wdk6lj said:
I think its more about what you like. The Pro M is bigger tom sizes so if you like a lower sound id say get those. I have an M Birch and you can get bigger toms on that too and you also get a free tom so i would get the M Birch. You'll just have more to do and stuff and you can always take a tom away if you need to.

In the USA the tom sizes are the same in both range of kits. but in the UK the all ready made shell packs you get deeper tom depths in the M Birch not the Pro M's, it has smaller tom depths!

you can though buy most tom sizes you want from Mapex.

i still say go with with the Pro M.

drummert2k

iatemygoat":2uf2xunl said:
drummert2k":2uf2xunl said:

you read that right from the wesite didnt u? haha

im actually in the same boat as this guy but am definately leaning towards the birch more and more. same kit i think. the 6 piece with the free 10" tom. black forest green, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
no, i actually just pulled that straight from the old keester. i've looked for websites tons of times that have specific details about differant shell material but everything just has generic info and bar graphs that dont show very much. i build kits so thats how i new about the differance between the 2. i have no life outside of drumming so i actually just sit around learning these stupid little details. haha

iatemygoat

haha awsome, man i would love to do that.

its funny cuz i was just on the mapex site and musicians friend looking up on the stuff and then saw this thread and ur description was practically identical to those haha.

RogersDrummer

I prefer Pinecone wood myself. And Balsa wood. Really gets a nice horrible sound.

Actually I love the sound and Maple. Also Walnut is fantastic. Birch has always been a little too "hard" sounding for me. I just can't get into the tone for some reason.

In my opinion, out of all the woods, I'd have to say good ol' African Mahogany is the best by a far margin.

glenndrums4life

i've got a mapex birch series and it has done we great justice, it's a great recording kit specially for a bouncy tom sound , and they're cheap, but maple in my opinion is better i recently bought a yamaha tour custom and it is fantastic sounding i love mapex and will buy a saturn nxt but it's down to you my friend every drummer has their own like style and sound my set up you might hate or someone else might love etc mapex do some great deals personally now for quality go for the pro m you can get so many deals online with like free snares etc