Big bass sound in rap songs...

Joezeppi

Hey guys I'm trying to get a trigger or pad that can create that big Bass sound I think it's referred to as 808's but I'm not sure actually. I'm talking about the big bass hit that sounds common in rap songs and I've also heard Korn use it before. Can anyone tell me what this is called exactly and is it something that is sold as a particular instrument or is it a sound that is simply programmed in a trigger or what. I'm pretty clueless on how to achieve this.

dave lynch

One thing I liked to do is use reverb on the kick and have a separate
channel to control it..You can add a ton of low end and it will have a long sound without pushing/blowing out the low mid speakers on the mains and the low end subs..!!

skitch

Joezeppi":rzojbmkr said:
Hey guys I'm trying to get a trigger or pad that can create that big Bass sound I think it's referred to as 808's but I'm not sure actually. I'm talking about the big bass hit that sounds common in rap songs and I've also heard Korn use it before. Can anyone tell me what this is called exactly and is it something that is sold as a particular instrument or is it a sound that is simply programmed in a trigger or what. I'm pretty clueless on how to achieve this.
You are talking about the TR 808 Sine wave by Roland which was first introduced on their TR 808 drum machine. It has probably blown more woofers.......

It is pretty much standard on any electronic drum module.