best way to muffle

igloo962

What is the best way to get rid of some of the resonance? My drums resonate alot and it's not bad I just want less of it.

druming=life

when i got my first set i duck taped cut up wool socks on the heads, i wouldn't suggest that unless you were really low on money, and if you are talking about overtones, then i suggest rings or moongel

stump

I use moon gels if over tones get bad on the res head. Also make sure it is tuned properly. Some people think that the res head is just there to be there but.....NOPE it serves a purpose. Good luck!

anavrinIV

i use one moongel on my snare, and not all the time. if your toms have overtones you should learn to tune and if they resonate too much you should get different heads (hydraulics would be your best bet). if you do muffle, use moongels (or sticky hands if you can get them) becaus those remo rings are crap.

Kaos

I also agree with moongel they are great but you have to have a tuned drum too. As my tuning has gotten better I find I don't need to muffle my drums any longer. If you're learning to tune drums the best thing I have found to help is the drum dial. Its a great help until you learn how.

FelterSkelter

anavrinIV":vbpi4tpl said:
i use one moongel on my snare, and not all the time. if your toms have overtones you should learn to tune and if they resonate too much you should get different heads (hydraulics would be your best bet). if you do muffle, use moongels (or sticky hands if you can get them) becaus those remo rings are crap.
I used to tape and moongel everything but I have found that just getting the right kind of heads (hydraulics for me) really helped to control the drum and get it to sound the way I wanted. You can also try thicker resonant heads (i.e. - coated, or pinstripe).

Solix

anavrinIV":u4hkqhec said:
I loves me my hydraulics and all (on my toms), but I tried one on my snare once... and that lasted about two weeks. I don't really know why, but it just didn't sound all that great. However, if your main goal is to eliminate high-end ring, it will work wonders in that respect.

phil-drummer

i used to moon gel my sanre to the max, but now ive put them on my floor toms instead, my snare sounds much better now and so do the floors

hey I have a gretsch snare that i play and part of the bands/my act is to grab my spare snare and "take it to the crowd" this is fine and i have no problem, except my snare (being wood) is sooooooo ringy, in a large place it sounds awful what can i do to cut it out, ive tried different heads and my heads are tuned. and i cant use rings and dont want to buy an internal muffler and deface my snare... will the moongel do the trick? any ideas please would be most welcome

Wayne

scotttyrcha

I like to use moon gel. Great little product! Remo has the rings that you place on your toms to cut some of the overtones. I've also used those as well. It comes down to what you can afford. Plain old duct tape works well in a pinch.