Best way to learn a song

metalhead94

i have benn going through my ipod looking for a few songs to learn. one i already picked out is "within destruction" by "As I Lay Dying" i can do the seperate parts by themselves but im just haveing trouble memorizing it altogether. the only other song i've reallly ever learned to play is "I Wanna Be Sedated" by The Ramones and i played that at a bar with my ex-stepdad's band, and that was easy, so im looking for something more difficult. can someone please help me to learn songs!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

drumur

I can tell you what I do.

I like to listen first to become familiar with the structure. Then I might work it out and play along on my lap or while driving. Take a copy with you and listen in the car or on a portable. You might have to keep going over certain parts that are difficult.

Also, I think it helps to use a practice pad kit because you don't over power the music. It's easier to hear what the original drummer is playing. If you have to, keep stopping it and playing a part over until you get it. Then try to play through the whole song. This works for me.
For some, it helps to write it out or make a cheat sheet.
Good Luck...I hope these suggestions help a little.

SGarrett

drumur":18ao812a said:

I like to listen first to become familiar with the structure. Then I might work it out and play along on my lap or while driving. Take a copy with you and listen in the car or on a portable. You might have to keep going over certain parts that are difficult.

Also, I think it helps to use a practice pad kit because you don't over power the music. It's easier to hear what the original drummer is playing. If you have to, keep stopping it and playing a part over until you get it. Then try to play through the whole song. This works for me.
This is the same thing I do. If I have a number of songs to learn in a short period of time I'll make cheat sheets, otherwise I prefer repetition.

eml

I remember songs quite well because there's so many memories from our practice sessions, I can relate almost any part of a song to a memory of someone doing an error. I agree on the cheat sheet though, I have two ones prepared for our upcoming gig, for some I've written reminders such as "start after second 'wind of change' on snare edge + hi-hat". :)

dbkman

I agree with the other guys. Learn the song. But I suggest away from the kit first. So you can really listen. Then get behind the kit with an ipod or something and go for it. And cheat sheets don't hurt either! ;)

keith bushey

Ditto on all that stuff guys!! It all works great! I also will pull up the drum tabs to look at funky back-beats and such in a song that is a pain to learn.

Another thing I like to do is hand write all the lyrics of the song. It really helps to figure out where you belong "dynamicly".

racefan33

Yeah, the Ipod is the greatest invention ever for learning new material. I just put the new songs in a playlist and let them repeat until the songs are burned in my head. If there are complicated parts I will write them out. If there are a bunch of songs and little time I'll write out simple charts of the structure of the songs (verse, chorus, solo, etc...)

Lancelot Frosty

drumur":3aswqrxe said:

I do the same.