BEST snare sound ever recorded

ViciousCircle5

There was a topic on worst snare sound ever recorded (Lars' snare on St. Anger hada resounding victory) but...

what about the BEST snare sound ever recorded????!

Some of my favorites are:

No Doubt's "tragic kingdom"
Most Van Halen records have a kickin snare sound.
Deftones "White Pony"
311 "soundsystem"
I hate to admit this...Limp Bizkit's "Significant Other"...Too bad such a shitty band has such an awesome drummer.

NWCrusher

Denny Carmassi on Coverdale / Page

Joey Kramer on Aerosmiths 90's records

Troy Luccketta on Tesla's records

Jimmy D'anda on Bulletboys first two releases

Alex Van Halen, and John Bonham win the big prize.

Qbs

Any album from A Perfect Circle with Josh Freese on drums :) his snare always sound great. Also, I'd agree about Deftones' "White Pony" and Limp Bizkit - I espescially like the snare on two tracks "Re-arranged" and the one for Mission Impossible OST (can't remember the title...)

JimmiRock

when i saw this thread i was just about to add John otto's snare on the mission impossible theme...it's is STUNNING!!!

it is a shame, what a waste of a good drummer! :p

Qbs

JimmiRock":292hfacw said:
when i saw this thread i was just about to add John otto's snare on the mission impossible theme...it's is STUNNING!!!
exactly :)
I've found the title btw. it's "Take a Look Around" great track :)
do you happen to know what snare he was playing back then?

ViciousCircle5

exactly
I've found the title btw. it's "Take a Look Around" great track
do you happen to know what snare he was playing back then?
I beleive he was using a few different custom OCDP snares. One 14x5.5 with a plethora of vents (20-ply), the other a 14x6.5 (30-ply)

Qbs

ViciousCircle5":m6tnb0uz said:
I beleive he was using a few different custom OCDP snares. One 14x5.5 with a plethora of vents (20-ply), the other a 14x6.5 (30-ply)

JimmiRock

Shalaq":3g9qawla said:
I really liked the snare sound on At The Drive-Ins "Relationship of command".
i love that album..i always thought the snare was abit grotty!! each to their own, mind!!

ratfinkdrummer

"Same Old Story" by Taste, Rory Gallagher's band circa '69-'70. John Wilson, ex-Them on drums. I'm pretty sure it's a Ludwig 5x14 Supraphonic. Bonzo on "Livin' Lovin' Maid" and "The Lemon Song". Jerry Shirley of Humble Pie on "Thirty Days in the Hole". Both 6.5x14 Ludwig Supra's.

grimey mike

limp bizkit are a musically amazing band, people just dont respect them cus of fred! john otto's style is so good its annoying! shame he loves crack now! haha

Johnny Cat

I wouldn't say it's the greatest snare sound ever, because there are just too many, but one of my all time favorites is Neil Peart's snare sound on Rush's "Exit...Stage Left" live album.

It's his number one snare "old faithful". A cheap Slingerland wood snare that he picked up in a pawn shop I believe for $67. He suspects that someone filed down the snare beds, because the snare is both sensitive at the lightest touch, and aggressive as well, and never chokes.

I think that snare sounds best on that live album. Especially during "Red Barchetta" and "YYZ".

jwoo10

Ya know that the credit (for the way a snare...or any part of the kit).. most generally goes to the master mixer.. NOT the musicians.. cause lot's of the time the tracks are layed and from there the musicians don't have any more control..

However I vote to give kudos to Queenryche and their Empire cd....

Johnny Cat

jwoo10":2gfd47fq said:
Ya know that the credit (for the way a snare...or any part of the kit).. most generally goes to the master mixer.. NOT the musicians.. cause lot's of the time the tracks are layed and from there the musicians don't have any more control..

However I vote to give kudos to Queenryche and their Empire cd....
I agree with this for the most part, being a part time sound engineer myself. However, I feel that it is the engineer's job to try and capture the true essence of the way the drums (or any other instrument) sound, as accurately as possible. And I always welcome the musician's input. It is afterall, THEIR sound. No one knows how our kits should sound better than us right?

Mind you, it is of course true that many engineers like to take their own liberties. It's a give and take thing.

Scotto123

I'll have to give this to Bonham on Led Zep II, Mike Portnoy on Scenes from a Memory, and Vinnie Colauita's Snare....amazing.

drum2you

You always knew it was Van Halen as soon as you heard that snare crack. Bonham could have made a Radio Flyer snare sound good.

phee

Good call on Josh Freese. The first A Perfect Circle album has a beautiful snare sound, and while they are mixed low, the toms on that album are the best I've heard. Along with that album, my favorite snare sounds are:

Dream Thater's Awake album

Guns & Roses Use Your Illusion albums

Pretty much any Tommy Lee recordings

Fireflight's The Healing of Harms gets an honorable mention, haha

Basically, anything that has medium pitch, no or little compression, some gated reverb, killer attack, and pure open tone. Never trigger/digitally alter the snare!!!!!!

I totally agree that the snare sound is completely controlled by the engineer/producer unless you are a household name in the drumming world or unless the producer/engineer just doesn't know what he is doing and has to ask you how it's supposed to sound.

Uhhh, i mostly prefer super tight sounding snares.
Loved Brooks Wackerman on Suicidal Tendencies album "Freedumb". Anything by Chad Sexton (311), Jon Theodore (ex The Mars Volta), Tim Alexander (Primus, Attention Defecit etc..), Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater), Jose Pasilias(sp?)(Incubus), John Dolmayan (SOAD) and of course, Virgil Donati.
Id have a list a mile long if i could think clearer right now.
That should do tho.

mattkinel

I love Neil Pearts black slingerland that he has used on almost every album. Who dosent like Bonham's snare? Thats whay I play.

P.S. The secret to Bonhams snare tuning, here it is -
Coated emperor batter, and the resonant side is a coated ambassador, just liek what you would use on a tom. Put on the 42 strand snares to cut through the thick bottom head and tune the drum like a tom, medium tight top, and the bottom head tuned tighter than the top. You do need to break in the heads on both side, and have the 42 strand snares wear through the coating on the ambassador head. Try it out and youll see it sounds exactly like Bonzo.

-Matt