Best drums heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

m

clear? Coated? What style music are you playing? What kind of tone are you looking for?

I use a wide variety for different sounds.
I think any of the main brands are going to be of similar quality.

My choice lately has been Evans clear G2s and EC2s for an open, punchy tom tone. Evans Emad for bass, and various heads for various snares.

I've got a big batch of Aquarian sets coming in soon, hope to report on those shortly. Supposedly their Super 2 series is very close to the Evans G2 flavor. We'll see. Also trying their texture coated series, they say it's warm with a sort of vintage vibe.

DevintheGreig

well i bounce around, i always have ebony ambassadors on bottom as a reso head, and i switch normally between coat ambassador, pinstripe, and clear ambassador for my batters. My style consists of mainly metal, hard rock so i dont want to use anything like renissance, theyy break way to easy. but im looking for a punchy lower sound.

m

I heard some Peartisms in your solo, I think...?

I think Evans clear G2s or Aquarian Super 2s would be right up your alley.
There's a video clip on Youtube of various Aquarian heads compared to each other, but it doesn't have the Super2s in it.
I could track it down and post a link if you'd want to see that.

I still use the PEACE heads that came with my drums, right now money is kind of tight so yeah, but if I had to I would most deffenitly go with REMO

anavrinIV

coated g2s are my choice. i have a set on my kit now that i love. theyre warm, deep, punchy, and have no overtones if tuned correctly.

Call me Gideon

I like Evans E2s clear, thinking of switching to coated. If you like darker tones you cant go wrong with the Evans Hydraulic Black heads.

DevintheGreig

heard some Peartisms in your solo, I think...?

I think Evans clear G2s or Aquarian Super 2s would be right up your alley.
There's a video clip on Youtube of various Aquarian heads compared to each other, but it doesn't have the Super2s in it.
I could track it down and post a link if you'd want to see that.
do you mean my myspace drum solo, if not check it out. because it way better recording than on youtube. its not perfect recording but its better.
www.myspace.com/devingreig
i havent updated pics of my new set though still my really old one.

zerodogma

Heads (just like anything else a drummer chooses) is pretty much up to personal preference. I like a slightly warmer, focused attack without having to dampen with rings or gels... my top 3 heads for toms (currently) are coated Evans G2's, Evans EC2's, and coated Aquarian Studio-X's. For bass I am sold on Evans EMAD, and for snare I currently use the Evans Genera Dry.

The only problem with trying out new heads is the cost! LOL

Good luck in your search... there are virtually hundreds of different combinations of heads to choose from.

skitch

Kick drum - Remo Powerstroke 3, ambasssador front.
Snare - Coated Ambassador
Toms - Clear Ambassadors, top and bottom

balefullybenign

i have remo ebany pinstripes on my toms and an evans emad with the thick ring on my bass. i really like the deep sounds that i get out of them.

BloodWings17

i am an evans man myself i have power center on top of a hazy 300 on my snare, my toms i have ec2's on top of g1's and i have an emad on my kit i couldnt be happier with the sound

uncoatedtitan

For my toms I prefer Evan's EC2 series heads. They create such amazing tones. I use an Evans Genera Dry Batter Head for my snare.

loosesticks

i'm trying the evans g2 coated now but with a remo power stroke bass and to me they make a great combo ,again its a personal choice thing

Mikkey

For the most part I have no problems with most brands of drum products. I'll use three or four different cymbals companies, any company for hardware with a good product...etc etc. But when it comes to drum heads, I'm very strict about what I use and don't use. I think anything by Evans or Aquarian is good but I'm not a huge fan of Remo. Hey, I used to buy and use pinstripes all the time. I loved the powerstroke 4 for the bass head. The problem with Remo as opposed to Evans or Aquarian is they have no quality control. I've got four pinstripe heads in the mail that have three different sounds. The "crimping" on the sides of the heads where the film meets the hoop is often slipping or not done evenly throughout. So maybe I've just been burned too many times, but I don't like Remo...at least not anymore.

I like Evans snare heads. I absolutely love the Hazy 300 resonant head. Man, so versatile. Haven't try to much of their tom heads. On my kits at the moment I'm an Aquarian guy. True, they often are much pricier than Evans or Remo but when I'm looking for quality I'm willing to pay a little more. I love the Hi-Frequency resonant tom heads. Blew my old diplomats out of the water. I love the Response 2 heads (clear) for the toms. The Performance 2 are interesting as well if you're looking for that Thin Lizzy toms-are-loud-and-bassy-as-hell-and-the-only-thing-you-can-hear-during-the-fills sound. I like the Studio X coated with the power dot too.

But I always recommend people to try different stuff out and a head might sound crappy on one drum might work good for another. The example for me was the Evans genera head which sounded great on my SC maple 13-ply 14"x5.5" but didn't sound so great on a maple and birch "14x6.5" snare. Experiment!

krzykorean98

i like the blue Evans Hydraulic they have a real nice tone to them and i think its a g2 on my snare adn it has a realy nice bright sond to it also on the Evans Hydraulic what is the diffreence between the blue ones and the black ones

Brack

I prefer Evans on everything except my bass drum. For my 22 inch bass, I use the Aquarian Superkick II. For my toms, either EC2s or G2s. For snare, I either go with Remo Ambassador or Evans Genera Dry.

It all depends on the style you want to play and what wood your drums are made of. For my set, most Remo heads sound inferior to any of the Evans I have tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.