Best drum solo drummer of all time?

DrumsPlus

Not really a solo, but Buddy Rick vs. Animal. It's the first thing that got me interested in drumming to begin with and now my 4 year old daughter has to watch it at least twice a week and then goes and plays.

likelight2flies

king_friday":1uu6qx8w said:
i know im gonna get a bunch of crap for this but...i think drum solos are kinda stupid.
In a song context, I would agree. I'm not a huge fan of drums solo's. However, some are kind of neat. You can pick up some tricks you can use for fun, if for nothing else.

ChrisNichols

I like drum solos if they at least stay interesting...I can't listen to long-winded solos that keep starting and stopping all over the place.

My favourite drum soloists would have to be Ginger Baker and Roger Taylor. Their solos tend to just flow and roll along. A long Ginger Baker drum solo I can listen to (his 'Toad' performance at the Royal Albert Hall a couple years long was about 10 minutes long and kept me interested the whole time), and Roger Taylor always keeps his solos short and sweet.

BillRayDrums

I am soooo gonna get crap or this but here goes.....

...who gets thousands of people, drummers and non-drummers alike, air-drumming at a show? I would say Neil Peart gets my vote.

I have not listened to him for years but I can say that ANYONE who has such an impact on an audience deserves the award. :)

One observation though- As he powers a legion of air drummers through the moves, Neil has the hardest job. I mean, he has to play the song **EXACTLY** as it is on the recording, otherwise the entire energy of the room shifts should he deviate from the norm. :)

Yeah there's better players out there. NP carried on Buddy Rich's legacy and then some.

But I still like Bonham's groove better. :)

ChrisNichols

Yeah, Bonzo was all about the groove really. He did a mean drum solo but his work in songs like 'When The Levee Breaks' or 'Kashmir' was much more enthralling for me.

And what's wrong with voting Neil Peart? Of course he's an amazing drummer! And again, love the fluidity in his solos.

Dude_on_Drums

John Bonham. After all, he Was a beast !!!
Cozy Powell...Amazing groove !
Tommy Aldridge : Same drumsolo for the last twenty years, but still a treat to see it

By the way... Brian Tichy (ex Pride and Glory, Ozzy Osbourne, ...), currently hitting 'em with Forreigner, combines the best qualities of the masters I named above. Check him out!!!

Rockula!

king_friday":1kqheib0 said:
i know im gonna get a bunch of crap for this but...i think drum solos are kinda stupid.
I agree
Most drum solos have nothing to do with entertaining the crowd
They have everything to do with the drummer's ego
The best solos are the ones that attempt to be as musical as possible
Peart has been attempting this all along
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Bozzio
He managed to make drums musical by esentially building a "drum xylophone"
If I see a drum solo, I usually take that opportunity to visit the "little Rockula's room" which is perfect for expressing my opinion of said drum solo

cableman26

BillRayDrums":1fue4nje said:

...who gets thousands of people, drummers and non-drummers alike, air-drumming at a show? I would say Neil Peart gets my vote.

I have not listened to him for years but I can say that ANYONE who has such an impact on an audience deserves the award. :)

One observation though- As he powers a legion of air drummers through the moves, Neil has the hardest job. I mean, he has to play the song **EXACTLY** as it is on the recording, otherwise the entire energy of the room shifts should he deviate from the norm. :)

Yeah there's better players out there. NP carried on Buddy Rich's legacy and then some.

Yea, Neil is not my favorite DRUMMER, but this is my favorite SOLO:<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1bIchqJoxFQ&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1bIchqJoxFQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Atmerrill

Buddy Rich, Buddy Rich, and Mr. Buddy Rich. No one - no one, ever did what he did one the set. Neil Peart couldn't carry his stick bag, much less "carry on" his legacy.

Bonham was more creative than Peart. Louie Bellson, Rod Morgenstein, Tony Williams, Carl Palmer, Simon Phillips, Les De Merle, Barrett Deems, Butch Miles, Billy Cobham, and Dennis Chambers (individually and collectively) wipe Peart over the canvas - he's not even in their level of competition. Peart is/has been overrated - must be nice to only play with one group - not much of a testament to his prowess to play/conform/adapt and blend with others creatively. I look forward to the day when he goes away. Period.

zen_drummer

I am so pleased to see Barrett Deems mentioned here! He was dear friend, my teacher, and incredibly sophisticated showman.

Barrett once told me he thought Krupa was the king of the drum solo and that Buddy Rich was the crowned prince because Rich picked up where Krupa left off. Interesting way of looking at it.

Atmerrill

zen_drummer":15g5plb0 said:
I am so pleased to see Barrett Deems mentioned here! He was dear friend, my teacher, and incredibly sophisticated showman.

Barrett once told me he thought Krupa was the king of the drum solo and that Buddy Rich was the crowned prince because Rich picked up where Krupa left off. Interesting way of looking at it.
Hey Zen,

I had a chance to see the "World's Fastest Drummer" in the mid seventies. Very much the showman - really fine hands. Truly, a generation apart of a lot of players. Kinda like watching Sonny Payne play with Basie - they just brought something special to the drums that made you want to go home afterwards and practice - there's not much higher praise for any drummer than that.

Regards

zen_drummer

Atmerrill":1egpbmr2 said:
I had a chance to see the "World's Fastest Drummer" in the mid seventies. Very much the showman - really fine hands.
Barrett and I went through a period of time when he would call me at 4 AM after a saturday night gig... I'd just be getting home from playing, he was in Chicago and I was in NY, so his call was coming to me at 3:00 AM his time... we would talk about the gigs we just played and unwind from our shows. For several months he did that. This was the early 90's and he was still pretty spry and had his regular gig at the elbow room.

He had a raspy voice and when the phone would ring he would say... "Morgan... how was your gig?... this is Barrett... Barrett Deems..." as though I would't know who was calling me at 4 AM sunday morning. (and that I might have more than one friend named Barrett so he needed to clarify by adding a last name)

The man could kick the hell out of a big band... no? TINY little guy with a HUGE sound!

SHOGUNWARRIOR32

BillRayDrums":8ralsakn said:

Atmerrill":8ralsakn said:
Buddy Rich, Buddy Rich, and Mr. Buddy Rich. No one - no one, ever did what he did one the set. Neil Peart couldn't carry his stick bag, much less "carry on" his legacy.

Bonham was more creative than Peart. Louie Bellson, Rod Morgenstein, Tony Williams, Carl Palmer, Simon Phillips, Les De Merle, Barrett Deems, Butch Miles, Billy Cobham, and Dennis Chambers (individually and collectively) wipe Peart over the canvas - he's not even in their level of competition. Peart is/has been overrated - must be nice to only play with one group - not much of a testament to his prowess to play/conform/adapt and blend with others creatively. I look forward to the day when he goes away. Period.

WTF???

Bill Ray's exactly right!... so why do these always turn into Peart bashing threads.. sorry Atmerrill.. but your reply is just such immature nonsense..I refuse to believe it came from a school teacher. Will we ever see a packed soccer arena in Rio, with people of all ages, air drumming to Rod Morganstein's drum solo when he's in his 50's?

It's really getting old how someone mentions Peart and it offends so many people. I thought this was "who do you think the best solo drummer of all time".. not "list whoever you think wipes the canvas with Peart".
Are you a true musician? Would you ever see Peart in an interview list 10 drummers that wipe the canvas with another drummer? Of course you wouldn't..he's a true musician.. true professional.
It really is getting old...

Just my humble opinion.

Shogun

ThePloughman

zen_drummer":17rhhbi6 said:

You are a fortunate man.