Best crash?

Qbs

We had a 'best china' thread so let's discuss what makes a best crash and what is THE best crash in your opinion.

anavrinIV

my best crash is the sabian aaxplosion. i love the longer decay and raw power of it. for a crash that could be used anywhere, however, i would look at some paiste sigs.

anavrinIV

Qbs":3ovuqtrt said:
Paiste Line signature 16" full crash is the best IMHO :)
i have the 18" and its an absolute beauty, but its just not what im after. when my tastes are more refined again and im looking at some different styles, those will probably be my choice.

PureForm

anavrinIV":1maysrw5 said:
Qbs":1maysrw5 said:
Paiste Line signature 16" full crash is the best IMHO :)
i have the 18" and its an absolute beauty, but its just not what im after. when my tastes are more refined again and im looking at some different styles, those will probably be my choice.
I have both ... well, used to, till I cracked the 16" ... best cymbals ever. Don't get the 16" Paiste Signature Power Crash ... it sounds like ass! Take my word for it.

Johnny Cat

I think the Paiste New Signature Dark Energy crashes are the best I've ever heard.

Very complex, fast attack, fairly quick decay but not too fast. I like a bit of sustain. They sound dark (great for jazz) but still cut through a loud rock band, which I think is just mind blowing. And they're very musical. If you set up 4 of them of different sizes you can here a more distinct pitch differential that compliments music very very well, almost like tuning your toms to the same key as the song you're playing.

They can go from very quiet to considerably loud, and they're fantastic for cymbal swells with a pair of mallets.

Just really great all around cymbals for a variety of styles.

ganeshgiri

different cymbals for different things, but some standouts are:

Zildjian K Custom Session - nice full body, great all around cymbal,

K Custom Dark - sweet in every respect, not quite enough volume for heavy rock.

Paiste signature - sweet and shimmery, although there are times when I don't want the shimmer if you can believe it...

Paiste 2002 and Giant Beat - ideal rock cymbals, especially 18" and bigger; sweet chinas too...

Honorable mention;
A Custom Projection 18"
Z Custom Medium 17"

a crash should open quickly and speak without too loud of a particular overtone, to be more on the white noise end for smaller sizes. A definite pitch works better with bigger sizes, if it's not too overpowering; then it gets into a chime-like character that doesn't work. Paiste cymbals are very consistent, yet the variability of Zildjians produces some uncommon gems - to me each has it's charm. Not too familiar with other lines...

downshifter99

18",19" & the mighty 20" AAxplosions are the most "EXPLOSIVE",loud,bright,massive decay,brilliant,ect....

I can go on and on.

My set-up is= 14" AA sizzle hats,10" cymbal disk,17" AA rock crash,18" AA rock carsh,17" AAX studio crash,18" AAX metal crash and 21" AA rock ride w/Hand Hammered bell.

Soon to come=10"AAX china splash,12" AA splash,18" AAXplosion crash and 19" AAXplosion :twisted:

Dale

Qbs":ffx4t6wa said:
We had a 'best china' thread so let's discuss what makes a best crash and what is THE best crash in your opinion.
A cymbal that compliments the music. A cymbal that is expressive and that doesn't have just one sound.

I like many many cymbals. I've heard some great Zildjians. I've heard some really horrible Zildjians. It's the same with all of them.

draconic

i'd love to play some paiste signatures 'cause they're the most beautiful thing i've ever heard. but right now i'll stick to my RUDEs because of the music my band plays. a signature crash would be reduced to tiny bits in a matter of few rehearsals.... and it makes me kinda sad...

Will

Zildjian 16" A Custom Crash
&
Zildjian 18" A Custom Fast Crash

Beautiful, musical and versatile!

drummer_jim

I have an 18" A. Zildjian medium crash/ride that I bought in 1987. It has outlasted every other cymbal I have bought since. It is still my main crash. It's heavy, but not too heavy!! Good attack and better decay rate.

For the money on sabains side my vote is going to go to the xs20 18 crash. My future is pretty open i get some more bread. Then its going to be a ozone crash and and thin aa crash.

Peace,