beginners notation and tabs

Biz

I am looking for tabs and notation for beginners .I would like examples of different styles -rock, blues, funk, reggae etc, anyone know where I can get some which I can print off free?, cheers Biz.

drummert2k

you'd be music better off to just spend the money and get some good books on these style. dont waste your time with tabs.

I also recommend books. There are such a variety of styles in most books that you'll be able to go back to them over and over again and keep learning.

65Premier

Lots of good advice..thanks! I will definitely stick to the books when and if I need to venture into a "style" lesson.

SGarrett

Tabs are for lazy people. They cheat you out of both learning how to read and learning how to use your ears.

If you want to learn how to read notation, go to Google.com and type "how to read drum notation" and/or "how to read musical notation".

Blitzer135

i cant find drum notation, i dont have money to buy books and i tab most off the stuff i need my self, so does that make me lazy?

SGarrett

Blitzer135":8nhe8x80 said:
i cant find drum notation, i dont have money to buy books and i tab most off the stuff i need my self, so does that make me lazy?
Didn't give that even a minute's thought, did you? Tabs all the way...to the dumpster. You can't afford $10-20 for a book that will make your playing incrementally better? I wonder how many sodas you drink a week or how often you eat fast food? You're not willing to take a step further and learn free information from the internet that will make your playing incrementally better? That is lazy. So is recommended other people take shortcuts.

I don't use notation to learn songs, I use my ears. I use notation to make my playing better by being able to read new patterns and to be able to write out patterns I've made up. I've never once used a drum tab to learn a song. If you rely on tabs to learn everything what are you going to do when you need to learn a few songs for an audition with a local band? You're going to have a really hard time learning them. I'm learning four hard rock/grunge songs for an audition right now, two cover songs and two original songs, along with tracking two songs each for a pop/rock engineer and a classic rock engineer. Listening is one of the most important skills you need to learn as a musician.

stephenchong

Biz":2p4nz2h9 said:
I am looking for tabs and notation for beginners .I would like examples of different styles -rock, blues, funk, reggae etc, anyone know where I can get some which I can print off free?, cheers Biz.
Download the " Drummer's essentials " free book by Rick Kettner. It teaches you how to read drum notes and has a variety of styles to start you off. After that you'll have to start depending on yourself i guess. Get better books maybe ? Free books are rare on the internet.

rlrrll

The problem with tabs is that there are no note values. They don't show long sounds or short sounds. It's just "on" or "off", like computer language.

It's actually quite easy to read tab's if you understand the standard notation of 16th notes. But I'm with SGarrett on this one. If you want to communicate with other musicians, you must learn to read standard notation.

Then again, I am a bit of a notation Nazi! I find writing note for note transcriptions of drum parts fun.

Spend the time now to learn standard notation, and then you can use both systems with ease

rlrrll

kylevater

i recommend rock drum basics
i got one at gutar center, and it gives you a notation key and starts you off with learning to use your hight hat along with songs, which i wish i learned when i started playing