beginner practice kit

peacemaker

hi everybody
im a beginner drummer and i have a little experience in percussion but i would like to start practicing regularly again.. i live in a townhome so geting a full set would be too costly to not be able to use (too loud :?)
i was thinking of making a kit of practice pads (maybe with cymbals) to use in the house.
i have seen others with similar set ups for home use and i would be interested to try it as a substitute for a first kit so i can practice until i want to commit to a full kit.

i was looking through www.samash.com and found a lot of pads
(if anyone has another good site please share :))
i was wondering if you guys could help me out with your expertise and pick out a good set of practice pads..
im looking for a "set" with snare, 2 toms and a floor tom, hi hat, crash, ride, and a double bass pedal and bass practice pad

just want some good suggestions on what pads to substitute these with..

thanks for the help in advance

Shalaq

THere are two ways about pads:
1. Buy a pad set like DW makes (4 pads plus kick pad with a stand ready to use, bag included). It's great because you can set it up whenever you can and it uses little space. But of course no real playing.
2. Buy an acoustic drum set and some kind of sound-off pads (rubber pads that go on your drums to mute them) .

screamkevin

Don't forget about mesh heads. You can find them at larger drum retailers, and they replace the mylar heads on a regular drumset, rendering it silent.

Modern Drummer ran an article a couple years ago on making your own practice pad/kit. I made a practice pad when I was a kid out of a piece of wood and a cutout section of rubber from a car tire. Worked for me, and cost me about a dime.

peacemaker

Shalaq":m5e0d3fx said:
1. Buy a pad set like DW makes (4 pads plus kick pad with a stand ready to use, bag included). It's great because you can set it up whenever you can and it uses little space. But of course no real playing.
2. Buy an acoustic drum set and some kind of sound-off pads (rubber pads that go on your drums to mute them) .
i think the DW set looks like what i want... is there any way a double bass pedal would work on it?

i could get an acoustic set and silencers... i dunno i have to look at some costs and see what would be more worth it

Shalaq

peacemaker":hfdyfcs9 said:
Shalaq":hfdyfcs9 said:
i think the DW set looks like what i want... is there any way a double bass pedal would work on it?

i could get an acoustic set and silencers... i dunno i have to look at some costs and see what would be more worth it
A double pedal will work as long as you clamp it to the stand :)