Beater Question

cjdubya17

I have the pdp boa double pedal which have a felt beater with a plastic core. the problem is is that the core sticks out about a millimeter or so farther than the felt, so im practically just using a hard plastic beater, which is damaging my bass head quite easily. i was wondering if any of you guys had any idea if i could like file the plastic part down or something without damaging the felt and also keeping the face of the beater even.

thanks

cjdubya17

yeah the beaters definitely facing the right way haha, I wouldn't be able to play it the wrong way. no I dont have a pad, but im going one for my next head

cjdubya17

the other side of the beater (the side that actually hits the head) has plastic in the middle of the beater, which is surrounded by the soft foam (or felt or whatever it is).

basically if you could see the complete other side of the picture alan posted youd be able to see

SGarrett

Ok, so you're saying that little peg dealy goes through to the very front of the felt and is actually poking through? If so and it's a newer beater, you might be able to get a warranty replacement at the drum shop.

cjdubya17

well its not neccesarily a peg, its a flattened off round core, about 5 or so centimeters in diameter. it doesnt necesarilly "poke through" it just makes contact with the head sooner so the felt part doesn't really absorb the impact as well as i'd like

SGarrett

That's a peg, to me. :)

From what I've read, that's pretty much the point of using that beater. Maybe try switching to a regular DW beater?

metldrummer2112

Yeah it's the exact same thing mr paul posted. If you hit the bass drum softly the foam will hit it, if you hit it harder than the harder peg inside is what will hit the bass drum.

If you hit hard, just switch to a regular beater

cjdubya17

yeah, thanks mr paul for the picture. and yeah im probably gonna end up having to buy new beaters. damn i dislike the boa pedals the more i have them, i wish i just got something more simple and conventional like dw 5000's or eliminators

jnewlon_drum

SGarrett":ftf5qkvc said:
Do you have a kick patch on the head? Do you have the beater facing the right direction?

get a beater pad?...they stick on ur bass drum and save ur head...
or get new beaters to lol ;P

AmnestysLowEnd

Thorsteinn":2m4moabt said:
Isn´t this supposed to be adjustable? How far the peg extends in relations to the foam base?
Yeah I think you loose that tiny allem head on the beater and adjust to your liking. They are called"Hardcore" beaters meaning the core is mean to be harder for more punch.