bearing edges?

Zim

brian":ql75ejsy said:
first of all what are they? and do you have to have them?
when you change your heads look at the inside top edge of the shell thats the bearing edge and it should be a 45 degree angle inward . Your head sits on this so it can ring out loud and proud and yes I do believe you have to have it or your tuning will sound like shit!! I may be wrong about needing it any body got more to add?

jbreshears

I don't know if you need it... if i'm correct i believe that most acrylic drums don't have them either but i may be wrong, i don't remember seeing that on the vistalites

RogersDrummer

hello,

yes, every drum that is a drum has bearing edges. Without them, it would sound horrible. Different companies use different bearing edge angles for their toms, snares and bass drums. For instance, Gretsch uses 30 degree bearing edges. Yamaha just started using 60 degree bearing edges on their Tour custom sets.

It is said that the rounder the bearing edge is, the more tone you will have when you tune your drums lower. If you have sharper bearing edges, you'll be able to tune your drums higher, and they will have more definition. Alot of older vintage drums need to get their bearing edges re-cut because over time, the wood seperates and/or the shell warps, or just from years of abuse.

If you want to be able to tell how well a drum's bearing edge is cut, run your finger along the edge, see if there are any bumps or dents. then place the drum on a flat surface. place a light inside the drum. See if there is any light coming out from the bottom. Most new drums have well built bearing edges. The vintage ones are the ones you need to look out for.

cheers

brian

one more thing what are snare beds? cause i am looking at building my own set out of keller shells and i just want to be on top of everything!

RogersDrummer

Hello,

A snare bed is a smoother area in the bearing edge. The edge of the snare wire frame rests on it. It is said that with snare beds, there is more clarity and contact with the snare wires to the snare head. Some snares do not have snare beds. They were used alot in the old days and not so much anymore.

Personally, I do not care for snare beds, because they cause minor damage to the head when tunning higher.

Older calfskin heads used to conform to snare beds because they would dry up and shape themselves around it. The new plastic heads that we see today, do not do this. So it does cause slight damage to the head, and it effects tunning in a bad way

rob