bass drum tension question

iatemygoat

ok so heres my logic. if your snare head is tighter your stick rebounds faster hence allowing you to play faster. does the same hold true for a bass drum head?

if so how can i tune my head tighter without losing the deepness it gives out? i feel like if i tuned my bass drum head tight it would sound like trash.

Hack_and_Slash

I have my bass head really tight and it still sounds as deep as before. I do have a lot of muffling though. I have one evans pillow against the reso and one against the batter. I also have the emad ring. So that probably effects it a lot. And the beaters rebound much better since I tightened it. Try using the nylon side of beaters for more rebound also.

iatemygoat

cool cool. im currently using 3 bass drums all tuned differently for 3 different practice spaces. one i can FLY on because ive got like a full size blanket in there, and the other two just a small amount of muffling.

so thanks for the info, ill try a couple different things with the one i currently have at home when i get back from SPAMALOTTE TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob the Drummer

Your theory is correct. A tighter bass drum does get more rebound. You'll just have to balance out rebound/sound...Also, 20 inch kicks are faster than 22's and 24's. Just simple physics!

xdoseonex

yeah, snmaller bass dfrums are faster cuz theres less air to move and they rebound quicker,i'v never been able tio get a good thud with a tight batter head so i keep min ein the middle, i gant play as fast as i could with it toight but i do ok

dave lynch

Well I'm gonna go against the grain a little when it comes to being pure...As far as speed and even beater volume and sound between the two beaters of a double pedal I have noticed for me, that having a small (shallow) pillow that is long enough to reach both heads ( batter & reso ) with nothing on the head ( those little round protectors for the beaters ) and hard beaters worked the best for me..Yeah the pillow will kill the leangth of the kick tone..it will shorten it, but there always seems to be a scrafice for what ever I do..lol I do mic my drums just about everywhere I go..At least the kick so that helps get me low end..!! Oh and I tune it a bit above wrinkle but tight enough for as even of a tone I can get for both beaters..Same with the reso head..A little above wrinkle..!! oh by the way..Plastic or wood beaters agains an unprotected head will get costly..but for me there is no better feel and sound than a beater against the head with nothing inbetween....Yeah my .02