Bass Drum sliding...

MuzZle

Hi I am having a nasty problem recently with my bass drum where when I play the bass drum starts sliding away and it becomes a pain in my ass because i try to scooch forward while I am playing which makes for a funny image haha. Anyways, when I am practicing with my band I have been using a concrete cinder block to steady the drum however, I have a show in a week and don't want to have to bring a cinder block on stage, what do all you drummers do!? haha thanks in advance for your help!

The Heel

Get a rug. Dig the bass drum spurs into it.

Get a 5x7 rug and carry it around. My rug is part of my set and is used always.

Rob Crisp

I bought a massive heavy duty shop entrance rug, with grooves on it of the net.

Drums don't go anywhere anymore! :)

quikstang2

I had problems with my vintage Premier 22x14" birch bass. It weighed nothing and had no toms or cymbals attached to help weigh it down. The thing would dance all over the place.
I got on of those clamp skile deals that you put on your front hoop, I think Cannon makes it, but they way it's bolted together was a pain because it would loosen and the bolts came out and the spikes fell off.
I had a friend weld the two pieces together and it worked awesome for the one show that I used it after that. Then I stopped play that set and lost the thing and I'm bummed.

Other than that, get a rug.

cgaffka

get a nice 8x10 foot rug, this will fit the whole set on it and help in 2 or more ways. rugs look kick ass under a nice set, get a nice black one or somthin. then like the person above said, dig them legs into the rug that bass drum shouldnt go anywhere, and your problem is solved. my rug goes everywhere my bass drum goes part of the kit! theyre also very cheap, go to home depot n get a nice 8x10 for 10 or 15 bucks, thats a hell of a deal!
hope this helps. rock on!

The Heel

8x10?

Thats big enough for the guitar players to spill drinks on in my opinion.

And I would spend about 40-90 bucks and buy something that has a good grip on the bottom side and short double loops on the front side so that your stuff can dig in good.

Believe it or not... an Oriental 5x7 looks pretty nice under a nice drum kit. And it works beautifully.

Plus you gotta carry that 10 foot rug around man ;p.

cgaffka

lol yeh sorry, we got some pa speakers next to my kit, n they like putting stuff on mine, cuz its up on a platform usually... thats probably why i like the extra room!!! but yeh 5x7 works n idk man my $10 rug works like a charm, looks fine, grips the floor nice, its like some sort of rubber slip-resistant material on the bottom, ive never had a problem with it...

paiste01

I used to beat the hell out of bass drum but overtime I found out that you don't have to kick so hard relaxe your legs the low end will carry that should help. and of corse an rug will also help.

phoenix7289

A rug is probly my best advice.... I don't use one, and my bass drum is fine, but who knows, I should see if the rug will change ANYTHING.... lol Go for the rug, even some professional drummers suggest it!

m

I use a crash pad (click for link) too. For about $40, you know nothing's going anywhere on your kit.
Years ago when I just started gigging, my bass and hihat would creep really badly. Tried a railroad tie in front of the bass, but that's no fun to carry around.

The crashpad comes with a carrying bag that makes it really easy to fold up and transport. I'd highly recommend it.

REVEREND_HUDSON

I didn't have time to read all the posts, someone may have mentioned this already. Of course the rug. Also, my DW stuff has velcro on the bottoms of the pedals that is invaluable. It keeps them and the bassdrum usually from sliding around. The velcro is pretty heavy duty....

drummerjeff88

Definitely a rug.

I'm not a gigging drummer (not in a gigging band), so I don't own one, but probably the only time I've ever played without a rug was at my jr. high school (in their jazz/rock band). There, the bass drum slid all over the place, including when I performed... including during both my drum solos for the whole school. So, that situation would've been much better had I had a rug. Also, I think the school's crap bass drum only had one leg.

At home, my drums are set up in the basement, which is carpeted, and at my school, we have a drum mat. So it's all good. I never have to worry about bass drum slippage. Or any drums. In jr. high, I think the hi hat slid as well. I also once played a small gig once, and there wasn't a real stage, but half the room was carpeted, and that half was used as the stage. So the moral is... always play on carpet.

Dale

MuzZle":3dl1i77y said:
Hi I am having a nasty problem recently with my bass drum where when I play the bass drum starts sliding away and it becomes a pain in my ass because i try to scooch forward while I am playing which makes for a funny image haha. Anyways, when I am practicing with my band I have been using a concrete cinder block to steady the drum however, I have a show in a week and don't want to have to bring a cinder block on stage, what do all you drummers do!? haha thanks in advance for your help!
Sand bags and a rug.