bass drum sizes and sounds....

jonny33

ok people im getting ready to get a custom kit made for me and i want a smaller bass drum but i dont know.
i want a 20x18 instead of a 22x18 because i want my toms a little lower and i can move my rack system around more.
but heres my question, i play metal and fast stuff and i love the good deep sound and everything.
if anybody has a 20 inch bass drum can you please tell me if theres a big difference in sound between a 22 inch bass drum and a 20 inch? ive never played a 20 inch one before.

thanx alot.

BillRayDrums

22" will have a lower fundamental tone. A 20" will have a way punchier tone and with the 18" depth you will be completely enamored with it's sound. IF you need more volume, mic' it up. I use a 16x20 and it's just killer.

dwtoast72

BillRayDrums":2na75hfz said:
22" will have a lower fundamental tone. A 20" will have a way punchier tone and with the 18" depth you will be completely enamored with it's sound. IF you need more volume, mic' it up. I use a 16x20 and it's just killer.
if tuned right, a 20 x 18 will have more definition... I'm kinda in the same boat... I want a 20x18 along side my 22 x 20 for that extra bass voice and I tried one out here in germany about 2 1/2 months ago, and I thought it was great.. Great reaction to double kick licks

dwtoast72

Howepirate":2t333ej5 said:
20" bass drums also happen to be faster.
but I would use at the MOST a DW kick pillow for muffling to keep it from being too fast, know what I mean?? Try to preserve the drum's sound, as it is smaller...and faster

ZaQ[MTG]

Im having a 24x20 made...ive never heard a more agressivce and killer bass tone than a 24in deep kick

but if smaller is your thing then go with 16x20