Bass Drum Size(help)

PaulZILLA

ok. so ive been drumming for a fair time now. as ive gotten better, ive began playing many different styles. for a long time i was primarily into speedmetal/death metal and things like that so i was really heavy into double bass and things like that. lately ive been doing alot of jaming with my kit in a classic configuration. bass-1tom-1floortom-snare. im looking to get a 5pc kit, maybe 6. but i want to get a big bass. with 1-2 toms. 2 floor toms. snare. ive heard alot of really really good sounding 24x18 and 26x16 inch bass drums. but ive never played a 26 for very long so i havent really gotten to try one out. the style ive been playing lately ranges from jazz/funk to latin/hip-hop and even classic rock and sometimes i do some heavy groove drumming like putting some down tempo death metal vibe into a really pocket heavy groove like you would find in jazz and classic rock. the kits im looking at now, most come with a 26x16. im mainly looking at DDRUMs dominion dominator maple. and the DDRUM diode dominator acrylic. the acrylic kit i have played on once at a local drumshop for about 3 mins before being kicked off. but i liked it. the price is a lil up for my range and then its just for a shell pack. but the sound i liked. the maple dominator i havent played on, but ihave heard is extremely good. ive played maple and for the most part its good. the maple kit is literaly the exact same kit as the acrylic, but wit non tube lugs, solid maple shells, and a wood snare. and it comes with a hardware pack. thats the only real difference. im pretty sure im going to use Aquarian TC SuperKick1 bass batter heads, and prolly Aquarian Coated Response 2 tom batter. the reso heads for the toms will be Aquarian Classic Clear(in ebony color to darken the tone some) and the bass reso will be an Aquarian Regulator(not sure on ported or not). any info on 26in bass if its a good idea or not please post. (im primarily experienced with 22x16 and 20x18 bass drums for reference)

Alcyon

IMO 26"s are really boomy and too big, but a 24" is what I'm looking into getting for my next kit and there are quite a few companies that sell them. PDP (Pacific Drums by DW), Taye Drums, Mapex, and ddrum are the four main companies I've been looking at, and I'm probably going to go with Taye because they're HQed here in Vancouver.

I'm in both a metal band and a kind of Alexisonfire-style hardcore/alternative band and for the second I've been using my kit as a 4-piece (1 rack tom, 1 floor) and I like it a lot. I'd really like to get a 18" floor as well and make it a 5-piece.

Good luck finding a kit that works for you.

PaulZILLA

well. ive played a couple 24''s and they are ok. only problem is getting them tuned to the sweetspot and keeping it there. all of my friends with 24s have had problems with adjusting muffling(not much to adjust usualy) and tuning batter vs reso. and then the right port size and location and all that. now if i could have the mike marsh 24in(head)x22in(depth) bass i would have it made. ive really been looking at the ddrum dominion dominator maple with the 26 because i know ddrum are good. and priced really well. plus its maple. ive heard of many ways to get a 26 sounding the way i want it, they only problem is i rarely see a 26 within 3 hours drive and most of the time then your not alowed to touch the drum much less play on it and adjust the tuning. i plan on going toa local shop and ask the crew there. they are actual drummers not just tryin to rip people off. and they have alot of kits up there. ive concidered the 24, but im not wanting to have to put alot of dampening, i like my drums to be pretty live and open, with as little muffling as possible. i dont mic every drum usualy. just b ass, sometimes snare, 2 cymbal overheads with -20db rolloff active, and shockmounted condensers on the left and right side behind me with windscreens and poppit filters and things. this is when i perform at a good venue. other times they just mic the bass and a single overhead vocal mic. i tune my drums to sound open,because like shalaq i like the open sound. also ive found that the sound i hear is always louder and more open than what audience and mics pickup. the bandmates have NO say in my sound, because myd rums my sound, i can always find another band. i dont adjust my equipment to them, because i play with multiple groups/styles/and such. i do alot of solo jaming so i set my gear to suit me. even when mic'd each drum gets a mic they still mainly pickup the attack and some of the lasting tone. and then when mixed unless the house mix is really crappy the only thing that transfers and cuts in is the attack. one reason i like triggers. but i hate the idea of paying all that money for a truely beautiful sounding kit, and nobody hearing it. mapex makes a really nice PRO M(ROCK) kit that i like. 24x18 bass, 14tom, 16 and 18 floor toms. 8x14 snare. and comes with a 7x13 side snare. i really like it. in the end odds are im going to go to a few local shops(one is a licensed mapex dealer, and the other sells anything you could want or dream of.) and ill try out a great many kits. but im pretty sure i want at least a bigger bass drum. ive played some 22x20s that i like. but again they require muffling. ive got my 22x16 sounding pretty nice. i used an old trick. i put a custom cloth head on the reso side(i wotn tell my secret as to how it was made) and it works really well. records great and mics better. if i get a 26 i am thinking of doing something similar. if all else fails DDRUM, Mapex, Pacific, and Gretsch make some awesome kits. (currently looking at the ddrum ktis mentioned above, that mapex kit, and a 4pc catalina gretsch kit with 22x20 ,12,14 toms and 5x14 snare. in a really nice red/black sparkle.)

PaulZILLA

yes. 20s are faster. but i dont really like the overall sound from them. good for pocket jamming, and things like th at.

Spydr2000

Alcyon":2dseqwcw said:
IMO 26"s are really boomy and too big, but a 24" is what I'm looking into getting for my next kit and there are quite a few companies that sell them. PDP (Pacific Drums by DW), Taye Drums, Mapex, and ddrum are the four main companies I've been looking at, and I'm probably going to go with Taye because they're HQed here in Vancouver.

I'm in both a metal band and a kind of Alexisonfire-style hardcore/alternative band and for the second I've been using my kit as a 4-piece (1 rack tom, 1 floor) and I like it a lot. I'd really like to get a 18" floor as well and make it a 5-piece.

Good luck finding a kit that works for you.
I disagree... I've always played big bass drums never had a problem with boom. I personally think all these people playing 20" kick drums with no muffling have a boomy sound and really to me sounds like crap. The only boom I wanna hear in a kick drum is for jazz playing. My preference to kick drum sound is they all need some kind of muffling. I don't mean stuff the drum but adding enuff to control the sound. I get plenty of attack, slap and body off the way I tune and muffle my drum.

PaulZILLA

alas. those who really want to help and really can, will read it all the way through. it wont hurt and wont take but few minutes. besides shouldnt all fellow drummers be willing to help each other in things of this nature. i really appreciate the info ive gotten so far. i dont really think 26s will be boomy. and i for the most part agree with spydr that 20s sound more boomy than alot. me i dont run muffling usualy.at least not enough to even count.i really am having the biggest time trying to get info ab out the feel and all of that ab out it, i can find ways to tune and adjust tog et the sound i want. but the fact the beater hits below the center of the head kinda has me a lil inquisitive as to how the feel and response and alol of th at is. on a good note. i found a webstore that sells the diode acrylic set and maple set for the exact same price,(acrylic minus the hardware) but thats still a freakin deal. 1239.99 for either.

genx3117

a 26in bass drum can be a bitch for many reasons. transportation is one. its hard to get that damn drum in and out of normal size cars, not to mention if you play a gig with limited space. sometimes, also, 26" drums can be alot to control (or ty to control). if your guitarists/bassits dont have very big amps, they can and probably will be lost in the mix, you know?

drummert2k

i perfer and 20 or 22 in diameter by 18 deep. the 20 has a little more "tightness" just because theres less head to make a sound. still gets really really boomy in a good way. lots of thump.

or a 22 to get a little thumpier of a sound.

i wont go any bigger though. i've had 24 and 26 inch kicks and they were just to boomy for me. in a bad way. i was using the emad batter and reso heads and still had to pack it full of pillows to get the defintion i wanted. and by that time the purpose of having a big kick was gone. the batter had to be deadened so much it didnt have very much balls to it.

..... and yes, i do know how to tune. i know someone would have said that if i didnt write it.

PaulZILLA

well as far as transportation goes. i have a truck. a fairly large one at that. not those big suped up mudders. just your standard long wheeled base 90's pickup. great for transporting drums. as far as tuning goes. ive heard many ways to tune to get the sound i want. and i feel that once i can get the tuning down, i will b e perfectly able to have that big bass sound and lots of balls. but still not all steroid injected and uncontrolable. for performin g, i dont perform in small places. and everywher i play the guitars/bass are always micd very well too. i dont like small drums for many reasons. the main reason, im 6ft 5in tall. and about 270ish lbs. so im a big fella. i gota have a lil substance to my kit, or i feel i look funny. besides i find the bigger bass and tom sizes work more for my advantage.

drummert2k

PaulZILLA":2iic207n said:
well as far as transportation goes. i have a truck. a fairly large one at that. not those big suped up mudders. just your standard long wheeled base 90's pickup. great for transporting drums. as far as tuning goes. ive heard many ways to tune to get the sound i want. and i feel that once i can get the tuning down, i will b e perfectly able to have that big bass sound and lots of balls. but still not all steroid injected and uncontrolable. for performin g, i dont perform in small places. and everywher i play the guitars/bass are always micd very well too. i dont like small drums for many reasons. the main reason, im 6ft 5in tall. and about 270ish lbs. so im a big fella. i gota have a lil substance to my kit, or i feel i look funny. besides i find the bigger bass and tom sizes work more for my advantage.
just going by your height, for comfort reasons i can see why you'd want a bigger kick. but remember that the bigger the kick the more sluggish your bass drum will feel. that is something theres really no way around. just play on it and build your muscles up

PaulZILLA

yea. they are alot more comfortable. what i will likely wind up doing, is going to a dealer/drumshop with the cash for the most expensive kit of the ones i want. and try out alot of different ones and find what works best. i really want a bigger kick than my 22x16 though. i like it, but its not the sound i want, its a little bit too poppy and not enough boom/bass in it. ive very strongly concidered getting a Bonham kit, or the buddy rich signature kit, with the 26x14 so its a very controlled 26. but i think the 26x16 will work for me. ive had alot of thought about the feel of a 24x18. ive even concidered to take the time from building drums for other people, and build me a custom 24x20 so that i get that nice deep sound and the tighter feel of the slightly smaller drum. mike marsh has a usa custom ddrum 24x20. and i think it sounds killer. i may wind up doing that. im just going to hav eto try alot of sizes out

drummert2k

if you want a boomy bass sound try to get away from the 16 deep kicks. find an 18 or even 20 deep. you wont go back to a 16 deep once you've played something bigger.

PaulZILLA

ive concidered a 22x20 ddrum kit. i li ke that bass. just havent tried one with my prefered head combo. ya know

drummert2k

if you're talking about the ddrum diablo series you're gonna wanna keep shopping. in my opinion, they are horrible kits. they are deffinetaly bottom of the line ddrum. ok beginner sets but thats about it.

PaulZILLA

the new diablos are ok. they upgraded alot. Gretsch and Tama make a22x20 now. so ive concidered the Gretsch Catalina with that size. but its a 4pc. bass/snare/tom/floor i like it though. and Gretsch are keller shells. so they are good. man. this would be easier if you could message me on amessenger like MSN or yahoo. my yahoo is thisismyname_notyours and my msn is Shadow_Metalus@hotmail.com

drummert2k

PaulZILLA":i5nele9y said:
the new diablos are ok. they upgraded alot. Gretsch and Tama make a22x20 now. so ive concidered the Gretsch Catalina with that size. but its a 4pc. bass/snare/tom/floor i like it though. and Gretsch are keller shells. so they are good. man. this would be easier if you could message me on amessenger like MSN or yahoo. my yahoo is thisismyname_notyours and my msn is Shadow_Metalus@hotmail.com
the catalina's are nice kits, feel great, sound great and look great!