Bass Drum problem

drumshark

my bass drum is pretty cheap, and acouple of the brackets (the things on the drum holding the lugs, i think thats what their called) popped off, and im not putting a ton of pressure on them and just wanted to make sure that the drum is a peice of crap and im not over tightening. They should be able to hold up a lot of pressure, right?

anavrinIV

if your set is crap, your hardware is crap. its probably just that you have cheap equipment that isnt meant to do any kind of serious work.

ThePloughman

Do you mean the Lug casing has torn out of the shell
Do you mean the insert has torn out of the lug casing
Do you mean the T Rod / Tension Screw has torn out of the claw
Do you mean the Claw has torn away from the hoop because the Claw Hooks do not hold onto the hoop?

I didnt really understand your post.

Even cheap crap drums and crap hardware can be made serviceable for the most part, if properly tuned and cared for.

drumshark

ThePloughman":1mklvw59 said:
Do you mean the Lug casing has torn out of the shell
Do you mean the insert has torn out of the lug casing
Do you mean the T Rod / Tension Screw has torn out of the claw
Do you mean the Claw has torn away from the hoop because the Claw Hooks do not hold onto the hoop?

I didnt really understand your post.

Even cheap crap drums and crap hardware can be made serviceable for the most part, if properly tuned and cared for.
The lug casing has torn away, and when i look at it, the metal screws that go through the drum itself into the inside of the drum have just snapped. The real reason i posted is to ask if they would brake on a decent set, so when i get a new one i wont over tighten.

ThePloughman

Ok, having somewhat defined your problem, there are basically three things that could be the cause of this.

To make sure I understand you correctly........

The screw post on the lug casing have broken off letting the screws fall down inside your drum, and the lug casing itself to seperate from the shell?

Ok.
1. They were too tight to begin with. Over tightened fasteners will cause the screw post to snap off from the casing. Early 1963 Rogers Beavertail lugs (a very high end product at the time) have a tendency to do this, and thats why from a vintage collectors perspective I never use any sort of power tools when assembling or disassembling a drum. And also why I am careful to only hand tighten.....gingerly, paying attention to the amount of torque being applied to the fastener.
Mass produced production drums, especially lower end production drums are more likely to be produced using air assisted or power tools, and thusly, control of the torque force is less likely to be given adequate attention. They could have been too tight from the factory and just snapped without regard to anything you might or might not have done properly.
2. Bump damage, while more likely to occur on the underbelly lugs, could easily happen through general transport and handling. One good bang and you could snap one off, although you should see some indentation in the wrap from the lug being twisted as it came out of the shell. It would give and twist before it would break and seperate.
3. Severely overtightend Tension. That ones obvious, if youve got your bass head super cranked, especially if you have fewer lugs on a larger drum....... the degree of tension force is multiplied due to the fewer number of fastening points. It takes more tension force to bring a six lug per side drum to the same pitch as an 8 or 10 lug per side drum.

You will need replacement lug casings.