Bass drum Port Hole

EOTE_drummer

can somebody tell me a good way to cut a port hole? i normally get them pre-cut, but i wanna switch out with ones i already have that don't have one. in other words, im a noob to cutting the port hole, because ive never done it. i just don't want 2 mess up the head, or make the hole uneven, wear it may eventually tear. maybe just a razor blade, but how would u get that "perfect circle"? and also will it affect the sound if you don't do it right?

drumur

Buy a template...i think Remo has them(I think they're called RemOs).
Oh I think Aquarian makes them too.
You stick it on the head, then take the head off.
Trace the hole with a single edge razor.

nordwest

take the head off and put it to the wooden surface (on which a knife will not slide and be damaged). Then press on a dish of proper size as a model and cut a circle with scalpel. Good luck.

JAdrums2k

SGarrett":3to05q8h said:
drumur":3to05q8h said:
Buy a template...i think Remo has them(I think they're called RemOs).
Oh I think Aquarian makes them too.
You stick it on the head, then take the head off.
Trace the hole with a single edge razor.
Yes.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Remo-Dynamo-3Pack-Hole-Saver?sku=442944
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Aquarian-Port-Hole?sku=449351

I like the PortHoles.
Yes yes... portholes.
Use a template that you can cut INSIDE the circle, that way if you slip w/ the knife it won't cut outside the circle, and will still be perfectly round

Rockula!

This has been advanced on other threads but I have used this method before
Take a metal can the size of the hole you want
Heat the can up on the stove (use oven mitts)
The heated can will melt a perfectly round hole in the mylar
Not only that, but there will be a small bead around the edge of the hole
Rem Os and the like would be perfect for protecting the edges of the hole
I just use electrical tape because I don't want any type of muffling (even minimal as a Rem O is)

Brother_Bong

Rockula!":1vjge98l said:
This has been advanced on other threads but I have used this method before
Take a metal can the size of the hole you want
Heat the can up on the stove (use oven mitts)
The heated can will melt a perfectly round hole in the mylar
Not only that, but there will be a small bead around the edge of the hole
Rem Os and the like would be perfect for protecting the edges of the hole
I just use electrical tape because I don't want any type of muffling (even minimal as a Rem O is)
HHHMMM, GOOD IDEA.

dbkman

heres the best way to port your head. take a soldering iron, ( after tracing a target circle ) and just cut it with that. a knife is good but when you burn it it has more strength after wards and will deal with the streching better

SGarrett

The only problem with just cutting a head is that it's prone to ripping without the re-enforcement. That's why pre-cut heads already have them on.

I don't know about you guys, but it's well worth spending $5 as a little insurance that a $30 head doesn't rip.

Scrogs

I cant say of all the holes I cut in bass drum heads, have I ever had one tear, break or sound funny, though I've only cut a dozen or so heads in my time. Burning
a hole in the head just seems like alot of effort, the only plus I see would be it might melt the plys together, but seal??? Another thing is that the bass drum head
usually doesn't get cranked down super tight, I dont know, the RemO's work for me, I've also done the bucket & razor for big holes, never had a problem...

Rob Crisp

I have a Holz re-ifnorcement ring and they do the same job, stop the head tearing. Personally I think you just need to use something sharp and be very careful.

SmellsLikeIan

I trace a circle and heat up an exacto knife with a lighter. The sautering iron sounds interesting though....I think I have one somewhere.

dbkman

SmellsLikeIan":2jxyl5qi said:
I trace a circle and heat up an exacto knife with a lighter. The sautering iron sounds interesting though....I think I have one somewhere.
ya man, it works. i havent had a rip yet and this is my 4th head doing this. you just gotta burn the edges really good. thats what gives the strength, but a ring around it definitely wouldnt hurt

dannydrumperc

EOTE_drummer":2wr4llq5 said:
can somebody tell me a good way to cut a port hole? i normally get them pre-cut, but i wanna switch out with ones i already have that don't have one. in other words, im a noob to cutting the port hole, because ive never done it. i just don't want 2 mess up the head, or make the hole uneven, wear it may eventually tear. maybe just a razor blade, but how would u get that "perfect circle"? and also will it affect the sound if you don't do it right?
I have this:

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--DMOCUTTER

Cuts a perfect hole in a drumhead every time. Adjustable from 2 in. to 10 in. I also have the reinforcement ring by the same manufacturer for protection. It adheres to the drumhead, so the is no weird rattling or anything.

SGarrett

An analogy. Do you get health insurance because you plan on being sick every day or do you get just in case you do get sick? Do you get auto insurance because you plan on wrecking your car or do you get just in case something happens?

EOTE_drummer

SGarrett":2e29kl0m said:
An analogy. Do you get health insurance because you plan on being sick every day or do you get just in case you do get sick? Do you get auto insurance because you plan on wrecking your car or do you get just in case something happens?
very wise... but what does it have to do with drums?

and P.S. - sometimes u get auto insurance because you HAVE to, and its illegal to drive without it. :wink:

SGarrett

EOTE_drummer":3baqnpv2 said:
SGarrett":3baqnpv2 said:
very wise... but what does it have to do with drums?

and P.S. - sometimes u get auto insurance because you HAVE to, and its illegal to drive without it. :wink:
It has to do with using a template for the added protection. :)