bass drum holes?

I Wear Emericas

how the mugg do I go abot getting one of these things.

they give your bass drum a good sound, at least I think so. But I just don't wanna go cutting my own.

anyone know anything?

thanks =)

drummert2k

the purpose of them is actualy to be able to get your kick mic inside the drum up close to your batter head. they do effect the sound though due to the fact that you're taking away a 4 to 8 inche circle out of the head. but their purpose is to get a mic inside the drum. you can get color plastic ones that snap onto the head or black or white adhesive ones. the company that makes the snap on ones ( bass drum holz ) also makes a cutter which makes cutting the holes super easy and you dont have to worry about ruining the head.

truemusician

its not that hard to cut your own if you have a coffee can, a razor, and a steady hand. just trace the rim of the can, its a decent size hole. you can do whatever you want to the edge, foam or electrical tape or something, but if you did it right, you wont have to worry about it ripping. but yeah, the main purpose is for the mic to go inside. when i went into the studio they put one mic in about 2 inches from the inside of the batter head, and then a mic about 2 inches into the hole. so it was double miced, one in and one out. sounded great.

FelterSkelter

I Wear Emericas":3qigmpwv said:
how the mugg do I go abot getting one of these things.

they give your bass drum a good sound, at least I think so. But I just don't wanna go cutting my own.

anyone know anything?

thanks =)
Do I read this correctly.... you want to put holes in your bass drum? Use a drill. :D

Beej

I think most of the drumhead makers offer heads with holes installed on them professionally and it's not much more than a standard head. If ya don't care it looking really professional, I'd used the coffee can and razor method.

lousypadrummer

If you use a coffee can or a lid, you run the risk of the head splitting. The hole templates you buy are adhesive. You cut the inside circle out and the ring keeps the head from tearing.

xdoseonex

dont cut your own hole. ported bass drum heads are as readily available as non ported heads, in fact theyre alot easier to find. the bass drum heads with holes in them have a reinforcing ring around the inside to keep iit from tearing. if you cut your own you wont have that. i also use one of those holz things for further reinforcement