Bass drum head selection

loop

Hey guys!

I have a wonderful tama starclassic performer 22x16 kick. I want to change both heads on it. Currently I have attack 1-ply no overtone batter head and a stock tama reso with a definitely too big mic-hole cut. I like the attack batter head, but it is a bit worn so I'm thinking about a change. What head combo do you suggest? I definitely want the reso to be white with a small hole. I thought about clear evans emad and white aquarian regulator rsm combo. What do you think about this?

paul89

It's interesting solution :) But I think ,that evans emad and evans remad is better (for me of course) :) I don't know ,how this combo will be tone :)

loop

paul89":15iglyop said:
It's interesting solution :) But I think ,that evans emad and evans remad is better (for me of course) :) I don't know ,how this combo will be tone :)
Does Evans make remad in white?

paul89

Of course not :) But I think ,that sound is better :p Would you like white remad ? Hmm.. So I don't know :)

GuRu

I suggest buying REMO PS3 clear and ebony at reso. My drum techer has got such combination on his 22x16 Pearl BLX bd and for me it is the best sounding kick drum on the globe

Shalaq

GuRu":1fwkki8y said:
I suggest buying REMO PS3 clear and ebony at reso. My drum techer has got such combination on his 22x16 Pearl BLX bd and for me it is the best sounding kick drum on the globe
But he doesn't want an ebony head on the resonant side :)
@Loop- I have a clear 2-ply attack no overtone clear head at batter and 1- ply no overtone coated on reso. Check it out. I'ts a great head for the reso side. At this point I have a lot of muffling(half of drum filled) in my kick and it still resonates and gives a nice warm low end.

POWERHOUSETAZ

WHAT I USE WHEN PLAYING ON A TAMA KIT LIKE YOURS I PUT ON THE FRONT IS EQ3 WHITE OR CLEAR RES. HEAD AND ON THE BATTER SIDE I USE A EMAD2 :D :D

loop

POWERHOUSETAZ":17gsjbzq said:
WHAT I USE WHEN PLAYING ON A TAMA KIT LIKE YOURS I PUT ON THE FRONT IS EQ3 WHITE OR CLEAR RES. HEAD AND ON THE BATTER SIDE I USE A EMAD2 :D :D
That's quite interesting suggestion but I haven't seen emad2 in local shops:( Does anyone use Regulator RSM?

nemesss

For me Aquarian = Dead Heads. They sound great in the studio cause they offer no real tone.

EVANS IS THE ONLY CHOICE. Depending upon whether you want attack or full body, Evans will have a head for you. If you go to a store or check their website, they have a chart that will help give you an idea of the "sound" you may be looking for with the appropriate head suggestion.

I use Emad (single ply) with Retroscreens on my 80's Ludwig Double Bass Kit, my Sonor Kit and on my new DDrum Kit. Why? Emad 1's allow the drum to sing and the Retroscreens allow the right amount of air to escape and control the tone.

Having played practically every drumhead available (as a former Guitar Center Drum Department Manager), Evans has proven itself time and time again in ALL situations.

Good luck on your choice...Roger Allan

vintage

No holes, why ruin a perfectly good drum head. Plus for real tone, nothing sounds better than a Remo coated ambassador on both batter and resonant. If thats a little to "alive" for you, try a Coated Emperor on the batter, and add felt strips till satisfied.

(manifest)

the best combination i have found in ten plus years of playing is a clear ps3 batter and either a coated or smooth ps3 resonant.i have the combination on a vintage slingerland 24 and it sounds amazing.

Rob the Drummer

Aquarian Superkick II. Honestly, its a great kick sound. You're right that Aquarian are pretty much toneless, but how many times have you heard someone say, "have you heard the tone of that guys kick?" The Superkick II gives you that awesome kick sound you want. As for resonant head, just get one of your manufacturer kicks with the hole already in it.