Bass drum foot speed

Spydr2000

I have been playing drum for years and have lots of experience under my belt. I would consider myself a old school 80's/ 90's drummer. I have learned most cover tunes I ever played to perfection. I recently started getting back into the band thing and playing new material and I'm having a real hard time pulling off some of these bass drum licks that these drummers are doing with one foot.

Drumming has changed so much over the years. I personally think the drum arrangements are alot harder and alot more to remember. There is alot more technique involved. Anyone else having these problems?

fuzionman

ever heard of Nicko McBrain? watch some of his stuff and his approach to bass pedal. he really emphasizes getting both feet to pull off multiple beats. one that has helped me over the years is practicing with my heels down. that excercises the foot muscles a lot, to the point where it becomes possible to play faster beats and multiple beats with one foot. also, practicing rudiments with the feet helps. try doing stick control with your feet. colin bailey's books are pretty good as far as developing bass technique. also check out thomas lange's approach to bass drums...his motto is that your feet should be able to do anything your hands can do. i'm still trying to get there myself, so i know what its like developing those stubborn feet.:) hope that helps.

Howepirate

i didnt learn any rudiments and crap for my bass drum technique...its fast its heavy and its quick....try learning some all shall perish songs, and newer all that remains songs

amontholdDrums

alright well.. the heel toe technique works.. i forgot who does this but i swivel my foot and that works for me.. ive been doing it a while so i can control it but i hear the heel toe technique works incredibly..

but for basic speed.. you can work on those techniques or as i have always done.. learn the basic idea of a technique and do simple things.. ive done eights with my feet.. but i am opposed to using double pedal alot.. i keep my double pedal excersizes away from when i want faster single pedal.. try just keeping steady eight notes with you foot and do quarters with you hand.. get faster and faster.. simple.. keep your work outs simple for things like this.. its not coordination your going for you going for better technique and speed.. it will all fold together if you learn it properly.

Spydr2000

I forgot to mention I do use the heel toe technique, I've been using that ever since I started playing drums 25 yrs ago. It's really nothing new. I'm still puzzeled by Morgan Rose of Sevendust awesome foot speed. This is the bass drum work I'm talking about. Busy 16th and triplet phrases done with little effort.

I even find Nickleback's song 'animal' uncomfortable to play with just a simple pattern of 8th notes accept for on beats 2 & 4 snare hits. I don't know if I just don't have a comfortable spot on the pedal or if I have re-learn my technique to adapt to todays styles. I notice from seeing other drummers live playing beats like this that they get tired from this quick repetitive motion and it starts to sound sloppy. I've having this problem anyone else on here have this problem?

will_1

I've found a good way to build up bass drum speed on a single pedal is to practice sixteenth note and triplet exercises with simple quarter/eighth notes with the hands and snare on 2 & 4. just start out nice and slow. There's no need to rush on to higher speeds, the main goal is to get them sounding nice and relaxed. Over a short period you can speed them up. Also trying broken up/syncopated patterns in different subdivisions is good because it challenges your technique. Learning when you can relax your foot in between beats is really important so you don't waste energy or get tense.

Damagedrummer

Yeah indeed. If you wanna get more speed in your feet just play like 8th or 16th notes in a relaxed tempo and then for like 15 min. non-stop. Do that each day for a week and then try it for a half an hour at the same speed. And so on, graduatly building your muscles. If you do that for 6 months your technique and speed WILL improve...

chachaman02

I have been playing drums for about 5 years. i've recently started to work on advanced foot tech. u should try playing both styles heel up (lifting ur whole leg to hit the pedal) and heel down (keeping ur heel on the heel board). it will help a lot with pedal speed.