Bass Drum-Finding my size

Call me Gideon

So, I'm looking to get a new kit and I really want a smaller bass drum that what I have now. I'm thinkin' a 18 x 20 or even a 20 x 20 (if they even have these). All the kits I'm lookin' at come with either 18 x 22 or 20 x 22. Are there any kits that come standard with a smaller bass drum?

stump

Check out Ddrum. Alot of custom drum companies also produce varieties of drum sizes but be prepared to pay a pretty penny. Orange County and Spaun might be worth a look. Good luck!

Howepirate

Get the 20 tall. I honestly believe anything above a 22 is retarded because thats to much air to push! Little bass drums make a boomier heavier hitting sound and they are faster because theres not as much air movement as say a 24".

Go with the 20! I wish my mapex had a 20" bass

Call me Gideon

Howepirate":1mapcvdy said:
"Little bass drums make a boomier heavier hitting sound and they are faster because theres not as much air movement".
That's pretty much the reason. I p;ay a lot of really fast bass drum stuff. On top of that I play with my toms fairly low and it would make positioning them easier. I was looking at some PDP sets and I really like them but they come standard with the 22". I can work with that but I'd prefer a hair smaller drum.

sicdrummer

stump":156qhdf8 said:
Check out Ddrum. Alot of custom drum companies also produce varieties of drum sizes but be prepared to pay a pretty penny. Orange County and Spaun might be worth a look. Good luck!

Yeah Im with him lol try shine drums too I want a kit but I like somethings small like 20" bass 10" tom 14" floor and that would cast alot or try a used yd or maybe the rydeen I dont think there good but they might have a 20 idk try something lemme knwo what you picked

Cryptmail

Yeah im all down for the 20". I have one now but i want a 20X20 those are sick. I remember playing on Abe Cunninghams kit on his baby blue tama and that was 20X20 sweet.
This kick on here you cant see that well but this is a 20" and i love it soo much i can fit my tons better and it has better punch to it.

MasterShake89

20s are punchier and cut thru a little better than a 22 imo. I'm deffintely considering getting a 20 instead of a 22 on my next kit if i ever get one.... :?
and check up on the gretsch catalina's or any other lines.

untold517

It depends on what you want to push out. I have three drumsets, all with different sized bass drums. My Ludwigs have a 20" bass, and it's punchy as hell. My Pacifics have a 22", and it's that perfect medium, between punchy and deep. My Pearls, which are my favorite, have a 24". I'll tell you, as long as there is a front head on the 24" with a fairly big hole, you can hear that sonofabitch for miles. I know, I've done it.

goatatl

I kinda think it depends on what you're after; I have kits with 20, 22, 24, and the gargantuan 28. Each one has it's own quality. The 20 & 28 are maple Ludwigs. The 22 is a birch Yamaha, and the 24 is a Ludwig Vistalite. Apples & oranges. That said, the 28 Ludwig (in the pic) will just about knock a singer's feet out from under them onstage, which you gotta like.
G

Spydr2000

I really don't see how a bigger bass drum is slower. I've played all 20 thru 26 and was able to play everything fine. All these drums had punch but your not going to get balls out of a 20" drum like you will a 26" drum.

PaulZILLA

DDRUm makes a series of sets called Dominion. and one of the models is a "pocket" kit. it has slightly smaller toms, and a 20x20 bass. they sound amazing manaand are relatively cheap. you can get em in maple or ash from ddrum. and smaller isnt always the best for fast, take John Tempesta, he uses 20x24(head) alot and he is known to play some decently fast bass stuff.

PaulZILLA

haha, personaly ive been debating a 26x16 ddrum maple dominator set, but i gota find a place to try it out. never played on a 26 for more than a few mins. so i dont know much about em.

Spydr2000

PaulZILLA":1cpve7ti said:
haha, personaly ive been debating a 26x16 ddrum maple dominator set, but i gota find a place to try it out. never played on a 26 for more than a few mins. so i dont know much about em.
Trust me it is no different than your standard 22, you'll be able to play just fine.

PaulZILLA

haha its Mr.LEE i like your 2 ddrum kits. i kinda got the idea to get that ddrum dominator, and get a second 26er to make it a double. i think itd be sick. still gona go try one out before i dedicate the cash.

break the prism

smaller kicks do offer slightly faster response and a punchier sound, but most of it depends on the way you tune them.

i have an 18x22" kick and i was upset because i wasn't getting the funky, punchy sound that i wanted out of it. then i started talking to a few funk drummers up at Hartt School of Music and they told me that tuning my batter head to two full steps lower than my low tom, and the resonant head at the same or a highter tension than my low tom, then i would get the delivery that i wanted. i tried it and holy shit, did it work. a higher reso head tuning and a lower batter head tuning will get you a quick sound out of a bigger bass drum.