Bagged a set of Rogers BIG R's

Steaky

Just bought a Black set of Big R's on Ebay for a song. They comprise of 24",13"14"18". Seller believes they are circa 1979. Looking forward to bringing these pups home. I have my eye on a set of XP's to put with them in 20"12"16". Will these Drums blend well sonically or are the shell designs too different?
I will let you guy's know when I pick them up!!

Steaky

He's the Man!
I gather they make good studio Drums. My old R360's were really warm and woody. I sold them 10 years ago, I'd had them since I was 11 years old and had played them(15 years) tiil the Bass Drum spurs finally collapsed. Too be honest I have never had a kit since that sounded as woody and warm as them. So I have high hopes for this new kit.

Mitchell?

Yeah, but it's like a really good describer. When you come across drums that are really woody, you will immediately think 'Those sound woody' because it's like the best word. :wink:

Ize so smart. :)

ThePloughman

Your 1979 Big R ........is a five ply or XP8 eight ply shell? Being 1979, it could be either one. If they are eight ply, they will mix well with any XP8 drums from 1979, the year they were introduced, through 1984.........the year Rogers drums production ceased in the USA. And ...... the best drum company ever, died.

Steaky

Thanks Ploughman. I'll go for the XP's anyway for now until I find a better replacement.
As for the "woody" expression, I get that it could seem a daft adjective to use, but since those R360's (entry level kit in their day) the only other kit I have played with such character are my £400 70's luddy's, but they are still quite different. I've had 2 premiers, 2 pearls, 3 other ludwigs a gretsch and a DW, plus played umpteen hire kits, studio kits and support drummer share kits. I've had smooth, warm, subby, light, dark, flat(also known as shit), boomy, dead, bright, focussed, but never that "woody" thing. It's the only way I can describe it. Maybe Ploughman can back me up here.

Steaky

Just secured the XP's. Thats the Big kit for £250 and the XP's for £350!!!! Total £600 for 7 pieces(2 bass drums and 5 toms!!!!!!!). I couldn't buy an Export for that and these Drums where top line and have matured over 25-30 years. Hope this plan works out, I'll let you know.

ThePloughman

Woody.

Its that warm sound you get with quality. The new 1984 set I gigged out last night............ were not tuned as a set, I spent three evenings tearing the drums down to nothing, cleaned, waxed, buffed, all hardware polished, reassembled, and bench tuned. Cased up.......... and hauled off to a gig yesterday evening. Just some slight fine tuning with the drums together to more define their tonal range, and then........ l

That lovely, warm sound that in the music makes people wanna dance.

Steaky

Ok got the Big Kit home last night. Left the heads on it and set it up as is(as the last owner did for 2 years since he bought it) and it sounds bloody lovely. Very full sounding, and the Toms don't loose too much when mounted on the Bass drum. I love the floor tom, Bass drum has that vintage subby boom sound. This is gonna make one hell of a studio kit.

Now here's the deal with the shells. They are the straight side design(no internal hoops) and painted grey. Could these be XP shells? I think there's 8 or so plys from what I can count on the Bearing edge, this could be great news as the other small kit (yet to arrive) is an XP kit. Anyway all for £250. On sound alone it should be worth £1000+. I don't want to offend any Rogers fans but the kit reminds me a little of a couple of same sized mid 90's keller shelled DW's I've played over the last year or so but with a slight 60's vibe in there.

p.s. Tap tested the 13" with my 60's luddy 13", um it makes the luddy sound thin and weedy.

ThePloughman

You have XP8 drums, I surely do believe. I have ran across a set or two that were XP8 and painted flat gray, and Ive seen a couple that even had that Zylotone trunk paint just like the 70s Big R drums.

Not offended........ Who do you think DW copied?