bad technique or bad sticks?

I Wear Emericas

I've got 5b Vaters and they just keep snapping. I've got like 7 pair, so they'll do me for awhile. Unless of course they keep breaking at this rate. Any recommendations for sticks? Or anything I could do different to keep them from snap snapping? I play alternative rockish stuff so...

drummert2k

sounds like you hit fairly hard and nail a few rim shots on the snare. also, when you hit your cymbals, do you really hitting the eadge and noticing your sticks getting chewed up? same for the hi hats. if so, you might wanna lower them so you can hit down on them rather than "into them" but 5B sticks are pretty big sticks to break. i play rock in my one band as well and use 5A's or 7A's and have no problems breaking them. i've even used quite a few vater modles and loved them. they held up fine.

but if you are a pretty hard hitter you might wanna look into a thicker stick or maybe oak or a stronger stick.

otherwise, check how you're hitting to make sure you're hitting down on the cymblas and hi hats and not into the sides of them. and if you're using a lot of rims shots.

Robot Jones Drums

Here's from my perspective.
I'm a hard-hitting drummer, and I lowered all my cymbals and that actually helped a lot on the long-lasting factor of my drumsticks. I use X5B VicFirth sticks. I hit rimshots quite a bit, but I think the most common problem I have on these sticks is that they break straight down the middle. I don't break them in half really anymore. I think it's more of a "stick defect" because sometimes it happens on new sticks.

That...or my hands send shock waves through them pretty thoroughly; and I think if that was the case, my hands would be in pretty bad shape. Haha, they're not. =)

matt

bleh i hate vater sticks >.< i had a 6 pair pack of 5A sticks. broke em all in a month or so, and im not even that hard of a hitter. Then i switched to pro mark 5B japanese oak with nylon tip or sumthin like that and they held up for like 4 months until my stupid friends came over and broke them. The I tried some vic firth and loved em. Definetly never playing with vater ever again.

stump

I found that correct positioning of drums and cymbals made a great difference when it comes to breaking sticks. If you set your kit up with the drums and cymbals at a slight angle it will let the sticks glance off and not get chewed up. Not only has this worked for me but I noticed that my nephew was breaking sticks right and left and suggested this to him. Needless to say, he has not broken another one since. Also note that I am a very hard striker and I have only broken 1 or 2 sticks in the last few years. Try it and see the difference.

rto254425

i agree with most. cymbal angle and tom angles are important. i try not to rimshot on my toms. i figure the best tone is hitting the middle of the drum. i tend to chew up my sticks, and very rare i splinter or break in half.

i use promark 707 hickory simon phillips model sticks.
i've only used promark sticks. the 707 oak sticks, 747s all wood tips.

i've also heard that the laminated sticks are a little harder to break.

i would look at your set up and technique of how you are hitting the drum. then maybe a slightly thicker stick, with the word being slightly.

Peace be the journey! Cool runnings.

Ruben

Jesse

I hit with more of a "whiping" motion rather than a dead on hit. By doing a swing like motion transfering the energy from butt to tip without using my forearm like a hammer i've found that my sticks last much longer (i've had the same pair of 5A sticks for 8 months and I am a decently hard hitter).. Of course cymbal/rim angles matter as well. Just pay attention as to how you hit your cymbals and rims. And if that doesn't work, Vic Firth American hickory hasn't done me wrong. But, to each his own.. : )

KAden

What wood are the Vaters? Generally speaking a hickory stick is less prone to splitting lengthwise down a grainline than a maple one.