Bad Drumming Days

Irish

Does anybody else feel some days they just completely suck at drumming? I have days where I feel very productive, and then the next day I feel I can't think of anything to drum. Today was one of my bad days, but I haven't played in awhile because I was waiting for new heads. Does anybody else have bad drumming days?

dave lynch

Yup !! It's a roller coaster ride..just as you get sumptin down U R ready for sumptin new..That draws ya down a tad..in time the intervales get closer and cloaser..don't stop...just keep goin and you'll be fine..a bad day is the beginning of good days to come..!!

Mxpxdude189

Heh... I absolutely know what you mean. Lately, it feels like every day is a crappy drumming day for me. Maybe i'm just trying to play harder, more complicated beats than i used to, so i get frustrated when don't get them right. I don't know. I think i need to focus more like I used to. My band took an unexpected break for a month just before the new year, due to one of the members quitting, that kind of set me back a little. I'm still trying to get back in the groove and do my best.

I'm gonna keep on going, because i know things will turn around and i'll be further than i was.

Irish

Thanks guys for the great replies! It's nice to know other drummers go through the same thing. I'm sure even Buddy Rich had a sour day!

wombat_drums

oh yeah, some days you stick everything perfectly and others it just doesnt happen. It usually goes down hill a bit when i havnt practiced for a while, like i cant stick fills or some tricky kick drum stuff. sux, but u get over it. after all, tommorrows another day.

Piddywiffle

writheindecay":99zcnt6q said:
i dont think ive had a good day yet :(
I smell B.S!

No seriously, don't let something trivial like a rough practice ruin it for yourself. Everyone has bad days. I sometimes can't make a fill for the life of me. Other days, im on top of everything and am so badass I want to take it to the company and get sponsered.

I dunno.... the note for today I suppose is that, "everyone has the shits, but everyone can adjust their diet and fix all that."

And I just made that up. And honestly..... I think it hits home.

But then again... I'm drunk and am just maken stuff up as I go along.

But seriously. Everyone has a bad day, And everyone has a badass day.

moral is.... "never give up"

The End,
Sincerely and all that,

Kye

dirk

It never goes away. Not after 32 years (in my case). However it is an important part of the overall experience. It makes you feel so much better when you have one of your "super pro" days. The bad days help me to find out what parts of my technique I can still work on to improve my way of playing. Sometimes we just think we're not doing well because we are moody (yes, I know that this is a genuine girl's thing) or not well up. Doesn't matter, one will never be perfect!

nv1bddrmmr

There is nothing worse than having one of those bad days on show day. I had one a few months back and it was all hell. But funny thing is the next show I was determined to show what I was about and I practically stole the show go figure :lol:

Piddywiffle":25nuo8i8 said:
I dunno.... the note for today I suppose is that, "everyone has the shits, but everyone can adjust their diet and fix all that."

And I just made that up. And honestly..... I think it hits home.

But then again... I'm drunk and am just maken stuff up as I go along.

Being drunk and making shit up as you go along, is the BEST thing for a bad drumming day!!!!

No one can play perfectly everytime man.

phoenix7289

I hate it where usually I can keep a very fast kicking rate with my right foot (I play with one bass) and then sometimes, I just CAN'T kick very fast at all!

Oh yeah, the tough part about having bad drumming days are trying to explain it to your bandmates.

There are some, days apart from the band, that I sit down at the kit and it doesn't feel right, so I might change seat hieght or whatever to compensate, and finally (after playing a little) come to the conclusion that I'm having another bad drumming day.. They suck man.

SideshowBob

I get these on occasion. i usually just cant think of anything to play.
what i do normally to get past this is to play a some-what difficult song i know already. this usually helps me get into the groove a little bit more. but not always.

Flatliner

I remember reading an article where a drummer was talking about foundations. That he worked really hard on his foundations so that on days whenhe felt like he wasn't playing very well because of the solid basic chops he had built up he would at least be able to rely on a basic level of performance.

phil-drummer

i used to get this drumming block quite alot, but now i onyl get to play drusm at the weekend due to gettin home late from college,

i find if u stay away from drums sumtimes by the time you get back to them you'll be wantin to play them so much that i usually would come out with sumthin new and spontanious , so that aproach works

I hate bad drumming days and I definitely agree that everyone has them. I'm also an avid golfer, and to me golf reminds me of drums in the way that when you think you've got it figured out and that you're doing great, it kicks your butt and humbles you lol.

this happens once in a while but we all have our days when we play like we are the best and we have those days like where we cant play that well and were hitting the rim in tom fills and hitting the cymbals wrong. it happened to me a couple of days ago. when i dont play my drums for 2 days or more i find i invite new beats and do certain things very well.

lemoncleanser1

it is totally common.... I can tell right away it is gonna be a bad drumming day when I find myself getting stuck in my "default beat"....I will have a bad day EVERY time i try to play with just the smallest amount of alcohol in my system.

one thing I do like about the Bad days..... the accidental discoveries....

groovemeister

good to know this is a trend amongst other drummers besides myself. bad drumming days are probably the most frustrating thing. some days, especially when I'm really worn out and tired i just can't get into the groove and really kick it, and i end up feeling really shitty. however, sometimes, on such days after playing for awhile i suddenly find the groove and lay right into it. on the contrary, there's nothing better than having a good day and just letting the groove juice flow to the extreme.