Back Problems for Drummers? Who Has them?

pepperspray

I just barely turned 30 and I'm already experiencing
some lower back pain which is worse when i sit down so
needless to say, it bugs me when i'm at the kit.

It's just a sharp pain on the right side down in my lower
back. It started at the beginning of the year but the more
i try and strengthen my core, nothing seems to cure the
pain except Advil.

Anyone experience pain like this?

pearlgirl

hey im 16 and i do, age isnt the thing, it obviosly the way we people sit at the kit, i was told to get a stool with a back rest, and try straighten my back properly when i drum....

JAdrums2k

oh yea..... I've had back problems for a few years now.
The greatest advice ever given to me was to find a good chiropractor!!!

My back would get twinged and I would lose muscle control in my legs, making them lead.

A twinge that would take 6 WEEKS to correct itself, now takes 5 minutes to fix at the chiro...

Try a backbelt too.... anything to keep from straining the lower portion of your back

DrumFiend0206

I have back pain, because

1) I used to powerlift, and started doing it wrong when I first started.
and 2) I'm overweight hahaha.

Invest in a throne with a backrest. It helps WONDERS. I've got a Roc-n-Soc and I love it. Helps immensely with my back pain.

SGarrett

DrumFiend0206":7znpusiz said:

Invest in a throne with a backrest. It helps WONDERS. I've got a Roc-n-Soc and I love it. Helps immensely with my back pain.
I did that with Power Cleans. I thought I had it down enough to put weight on the bar. I was wrong. :D

BillRayDrums

This is precisely why I rail so hard on proper form, proper posture, etc.

I am 39 and aside from playing drums, live a semi-sedentary life. I am not much for exercising regularly, I eat OK, sometimes I drink too much GreyGoose or Belvedere and I am lucky that I don't have back pain!

I attribute it to maintaining good posture, finding my center of gravity, and not trying to harbor a certain "look" about myself as I play.

Imagining yourself with an eyebolt growing out of your chest and having a balloon lifting you upwards is a great visualization towards keeping good posture. It's done me good all these years.

SGarrett

BillRayDrums":1joaxfgn said:
This is precisely why I rail so hard on proper form, proper posture, etc.

I am 39 and aside from playing drums, live a semi-sedentary life. I am not much for exercising regularly, I eat OK, sometimes I drink too much GreyGoose or Belvedere and I am lucky that I don't have back pain!

I attribute it to maintaining good posture, finding my center of gravity, and not trying to harbor a certain "look" about myself as I play.

Imagining yourself with an eyebolt growing out of your chest and having a balloon lifting you upwards is a great visualization towards keeping good posture. It's done me good all these years.
That's a great point. I did the whole Lars thing of leaning into my kit for a long time. That was a hard habit to break and I'm actually still working on it.

break the prism

my back aches because of my throne. it's really really low end. but until i'm done with this semester and get a job i'm stuck with it.

DrumFiend0206

SGarrett":2mw5gdrx said:
DrumFiend0206":2mw5gdrx said:

I did that with Power Cleans. I thought I had it down enough to put weight on the bar. I was wrong. :D
Mine was squats lol. WAYYYY too much weight when I was first starting...BIG mistake lol.

And I used to lean into my set too. I still do sometimes when trying to get more speed on my double pedal. Just a habit lol.

With my backrest though, I lean AWAY from my drumset. Just so I can have the extra support, especially when my back starts to hurt.

matthewkadi

i had terrible mid to lower back problems from mid teens until now (25). I recently joined a gym and have been working out for about a little over a month and my back problems have almost gone away. Ive even tried acupunture. It worked for a couple weeks but the same problems came back. Only working out on a regular basis has helped.

GO TO THE GYM!

-matt

~DrummaGuy~

Its mainly in posture. I've got a powerbeat throne. a simple piece of crap circle thing with padding in it. generally should be a nightmare for back. but i've never had problems sit up straight and a little forward on the seat. if you have a crap throne like mine i sometimes find that sitting close to the edge is comfortable and ergonomic

bapudi

i have a back back and two broken rips.

but the pain never stops me from doing any thing sence i have a high pain tollernce. but with my back i just crack it every time there's enought time for me to imbetween songs.

JohnRobMHIM

~DrummaGuy~":ubyi6rmv said:
Its mainly in posture. I've got a powerbeat throne. a simple piece of crap circle thing with padding in it. generally should be a nightmare for back. but i've never had problems sit up straight and a little forward on the seat. if you have a crap throne like mine i sometimes find that sitting close to the edge is comfortable and ergonomic

Totally true of my set up as well, I sit with my back straight (i have good posture anyway, i used to march), and closer to the edge of the seat so that none of my leg movement is impeded by the throne. If your back is giving you problems definitely try stretching before you play, I stretch for my legs and arms, but I'm sure it helps my back too. Also make sure you sit up straight, this is prolly gonna help the most.

BillRayDrums

JohnRobMHIM":8cr7y8jk said:
~DrummaGuy~":8cr7y8jk said:

Totally true of my set up as well, I sit with my back straight (i have good posture anyway, i used to march), and closer to the edge of the seat so that none of my leg movement is impeded by the throne. If your back is giving you problems definitely try stretching before you play, I stretch for my legs and arms, but I'm sure it helps my back too. Also make sure you sit up straight, this is prolly gonna help the most.
Your most important piece of gear is your throne.

I don't believe in the back rests, as they promote slouching. Hold your own self up!

TrunJun

The best cure for back problems is having a g/f who doesnt suck at giving massages. lol...

just kidding. back problems aren't really my specialty, i've never ran into them. good posture is the most important thing for drumming, so just try to correct how straight your spine is when you sit.

I run more into the problem of pulling tendons (specifically my pinky and ring finger tendons) than i do back problems, but then again I guess we all have our flaws in our play styles :\

pblmt

Hello all, I'm a drummer/Neuromuscular Massage Therapist. I have good posture when I drum, but have had many a morning after a 3 hour show or a tour where I could barely get movin...

The bad news is, drummers will always have pain in their backs because the pure action of drumming aggravates two main muscles that affect the lower back. When you sit on the throne and are working the pedals, the pulling up action works an deep muscle in your abdomen - the psoas muscle - it attaches to the spinal column from the front and runs down to your lower pelvis where it can pull your leg up. When you push down, you are using your hamstrings (the back of your upper leg).

By constantly working those muscles, they will react by tightening up and putting strain on the lower back. The usual symptom of this is a pain dead center of your lower back. The cure is to get a qualified licensed therapist that knows neuromuscular therapy to work the psoas muscle and your hamstrings. You will get off the table most everytime pain free.

If you can't swing the cost of NMT then I would suggest some good PSOAS and hamstring stretches.

Cyph

I play drum for 16 years now and i,of course,i started having back problems.Mos of them come from bad posture.One thing that helped me A LOT was putting my throne a little bit up;in a position that moving my legs wouldn't interfere with my torso(i hope you're understanding,my english is not very good).And i starting making some exercises to reinforce the muscles around my spinal column,simple stuff but that had great results.Hope i made my point and i apologize for my bad english again.

Cheers for all you guys(and girls)!

Cover me in chocolate and throw me to the lesbians

stu

I've never had back pain while playing but reading all of this is really making my back tight. Just kidding. All the advice I have seen has been very good. Another thought might be, get rid of the thick ass wallet. Buy a thinner one and take it out of your back pocket when you drive and play or sit for any length of time.