Axis X-L2 Double Pedal

metldrummer2112

New member
Instead of a Ddrum Defiant double bass drum set (Which I've been told os horrible), I'm looking at an Axis longboard double pedal. But I have one question about them. What is the difference between XL-2s and AL-2s? I know the AL2s come with the Sonic Hammer beaters, but is that the only difference?
 

xdoseonex

New member
Brother_Bong":umajqbsq said:
yup, doesn't the X also have a wider footboard?
my A longboard footboard and my X non-longboard footboard are both the same width. The footboards on my older model A non-longboard double pedal are skinnier. Go figure
 

metldrummer2112

New member
xdoseonex":32d2qf33 said:
Brother_Bong":32d2qf33 said:
yup, doesn't the X also have a wider footboard?
my A longboard footboard and my X non-longboard footboard are both the same width. The footboards on my older model A non-longboard double pedal are skinnier. Go figure
Well, would you say that Axis AL2's could probably improve my bass drumming? Right now I have a cheap $120 Dixon single chain drive double pedal, the absolute cheapest one I could find. I've read reviews of them helping people who used to play Iron Cobras so I figure it would have to help me. Am I right?
 

metldrummer2112

New member
Howepirate":i3rwh134 said:
Pedals will never improve your drumming.

Yeah I worded that wrong. masonvonritchie got what I meant. I know that I'm not gonna put the pedals up and automatically increase my abilities. I should have said could they help improve my drumming.

You will.
masonvonritchie":i3rwh134 said:
They won't improve your drumming, but they will allow you to progress further than you would with your crappy pedals.
That's what I meant. Those pedals are heavy, cumbersome, cheap, and they even feel like theyre holding me back.
 

Howepirate

New member
metldrummer2112":2v4b677e said:
Howepirate":2v4b677e said:
Pedals will never improve your drumming.

Yeah I worded that wrong. masonvonritchie got what I meant. I know that I'm not gonna put the pedals up and automatically increase my abilities. I should have said could they help improve my drumming.

You will.
masonvonritchie":2v4b677e said:
They won't improve your drumming, but they will allow you to progress further than you would with your crappy pedals.
That's what I meant. Those pedals are heavy, cumbersome, cheap, and they even feel like theyre holding me back.
I've been playing my Axis X longboards for over a year now and I can go just as fast on other pedals. In fact, since I didn't happen to have tools to fix the stupid pedals, I had to use someones Eliminators and I used their settings with maximum spring tension and could go just as fast.
 

metldrummer2112

New member
I'm not buying them for speed. That takes time and practice no matter what pedals you use. I'm buying them for the feel of the drive. I don't really feel the need to go 300 bpm nor do I really want to. I want them because they're going to be way smoother and have a better feel than the absolute cheapest double pedal I've ever seen. My pedals are so heavy that I have some trouble keeping blast beats acurate, but I've done it on other pedals. I want feel and consistancy.

So, in THAT aspect, could they help with my improvement?
 

metldrummer2112

New member
Empyrean Drums":3pb0wzth said:
They will respond to your feet better than a poorly engineered and constructed pedal
That's what I want. I was thinking about getting some Elims first but I figure if I can afford these I might as well get them.

I'm not buying them as the cure all fix to my drumming. I just want some good pedals :mrgreen:
 

xdoseonex

New member
metldrummer2112":4z7tok9q said:
I'm not buying them for speed. That takes time and practice no matter what pedals you use. I'm buying them for the feel of the drive. I don't really feel the need to go 300 bpm nor do I really want to. I want them because they're going to be way smoother and have a better feel than the absolute cheapest double pedal I've ever seen. My pedals are so heavy that I have some trouble keeping blast beats acurate, but I've done it on other pedals. I want feel and consistancy.

So, in THAT aspect, could they help with my improvement?
theyre help a bit. they're be smoother and more consistand. that will make playing the parts easier on you. but they arent gonna improve your drumming at all.
For what my double bass advice is worth, i'd say don't even buy them untill you can fly on the pedals you have now.
 

metldrummer2112

New member
xdoseonex":1rb6b8dh said:
metldrummer2112":1rb6b8dh said:
I'm not buying them for speed. That takes time and practice no matter what pedals you use. I'm buying them for the feel of the drive. I don't really feel the need to go 300 bpm nor do I really want to. I want them because they're going to be way smoother and have a better feel than the absolute cheapest double pedal I've ever seen. My pedals are so heavy that I have some trouble keeping blast beats acurate, but I've done it on other pedals. I want feel and consistancy.

So, in THAT aspect, could they help with my improvement?
theyre help a bit. they're be smoother and more consistand. that will make playing the parts easier on you. but they arent gonna improve your drumming at all.
That's all I care about.

And by improve, I just meant make the playing easier so I have more room to improve
 

nydubber

New member
I know what you meant and what others are saying....

on my old school Gibraltor whatever you call them I felt like a better double bass drummer as I was comfortable w/how they made my playing feel.

Then I got a DW9000 double pedal and felt retarded for a long time before I got accustomed to how they worked.

The Axis pedals WILL help you in the long run, and as others have said and you acknowledged...only you using them properly will help your speed/ability.

Get 'em and tell us how they are - if I didn't do my DW's...I was looking at these so I always like reading about how others like them or dislike them.
 

metldrummer2112

New member
nydubber":33jyj13m said:
I know what you meant and what others are saying....

on my old school Gibraltor whatever you call them I felt like a better double bass drummer as I was comfortable w/how they made my playing feel.

Then I got a DW9000 double pedal and felt retarded for a long time before I got accustomed to how they worked.

The Axis pedals WILL help you in the long run, and as others have said and you acknowledged...only you using them properly will help your speed/ability.

Get 'em and tell us how they are - if I didn't do my DW's...I was looking at these so I always like reading about how others like them or dislike them.
Yeah I've heard it can take a while to get used to the Axis Pedals, I'm gonna so much fun since I'm having a band practice a couple days after I get them.

And if they're more comfortable (which I hope to god they are, my pedals right now hurt my left ankle for some reason. I think it's a little weaker than my right) I think I'll be able to improve better on them and play better on them in general. I'm pretty sure I use my pedals right, and I had a drummer of 30+ years experience watch me play and point out flaws, and he didn't mention anything about that.

I'll be sure to let you guys know how they are once I get them.
 

Howepirate

New member
Your left ankle hurts cuz you're staining it. Try and reconsider your position over the pedals and throne height.
 
Top