audition tips??? PLEASE

slingerland66

werd... so i just did an audition for a band. they complimented my playing and enjoyed me enough to ask me back for a second audition. Now, heres my dilemma. they are also auditioning another drummer who is semi pro... ive been playing for 12 years, but dont have much of a portfolio.. everyone ive tried to make a serious band with has flaked out.. i dont think being center 1st snare in the drumline really counts... or that i contributed to best percussion 4 years ina row..

i did play their songs FLAWLESSLY tho... and have been told by my jazz professor in college i have great feel chops and creativity.

what advice can you guys give me to get the upper hand for my next audition on saturday night???

thanks,

-Phill-

zen_drummer

Do what you do best.... BE YOURSELF!

Play the drums... play them well and leave your ego, if any, at the door. Show the band your personality between songs... they are deciding on a band mate and sometimes the person they enjoy hanging out with will get the gig instead of the guy with the best chops. Having the best chops helps, but it's not always going to get you the gig. Having good chops and being easy, and enjoyable to hang with is a winning combination.

rlrrll

zen_drummer said:

Play the drums... play them well and leave your ego, if any, at the door. Show the band your personality between songs... they are deciding on a band mate and sometimes the person they enjoy hanging out with will get the gig instead of the guy with the best chops. Having the best chops helps, but it's not always going to get you the gig. Having good chops and being easy, and enjoyable to hang with is a winning combination.
I totally agree with Zen. Just do your thing and let them decide if that's the vibe they want for their band. I say be early, be friendly, but most of all, be professional and play your ass off!! After that, it's up to them.

Once I went to an audition where the guitar player showed up about 30 min late. As he walked in, I said "YOUR LATE!" in mock anger, which got a good laugh from everybody, and broke the tension in the room. I think that it helped them to warm up to me, so when I played there songs, they were more open to liking me.

tc

BillRayDrums

Play the songs as YOU hear them. Keep all the important parts- the "signature" elements such as punches, dynamics, any sort of unison lines or very key drum fills...which will reveal themselves to you...if it sounds cool chances are they want that fill there. Be open to suggestions. Take a little recorder in and discreetly record the audition. For your ears only, mind you.

You have a fingerprint like no other. Live in that spirit and you'll always appreciate your own uniqueness.

Oh, and forget everything you learned in school. Play for that very moment. There's no right or wrong. If it feels good then you'll get the gig. IF you worry about small crap that will reveal itself too. No one wants to be out on the road with a worrywart. Just....Be. That's all you gotta do.

(Note- I went and read the other posts AFTER I made mine. What they said!!)

Good luck.

drumur

I would second everything everybody else suggested.
My own suggestion that has worked for me is, do your homework and be prepared enough to emanate confidence (not ego), don't overplay unless the style of music calls for it, play to make it feel good and to make the band sound good is a priority instead of trying to show them your chops, Have fun and love what you do (it shows and is contagious).

Most of all Good Luck

Rob Crisp

The other guys have covered most of it.

Another thing when joining a band, it's different to being a paid musician on a job. If you can find common ground outside the music, that will help. Bear in mind you will be spending a lot of your time with these peeps and possibly in tour vans, hotel rooms etc etc. Even if the other drummers were all to smoke you in terms of technique, if they like you as a person and are happy with your playing that could be a real benefit!

rufus4dagruv

What everyone else said! Haha!

Seriously though, if you do everything everyone has mentioned, no matter what happens you will know that you did your best. Always be as relaxed as possible.

Also, don't worry about the other guy. By the time you get called by for a second audition, your resume should be the least of your concerns. If you didn't play well or didn't vibe with the band after the first audition, you wouldn't have gotten the call back. Playing is very important, but like it's been said, if this band is serious, they want someone they can get along with, ESPECIALLY if there is going to be any touring involved. Good luck. With all the positive reinforcement from the board, you'll NAIL IT!

NG1284

Don't let the other dummer they're looking at psyche you out!

I got into my band over another drummer who was reasonably more skilled than I am because I had a better feel with the band and they felt like I'd be more dedicated.

dwtoast72

these dudes are giving you sound advice,..... do what comes natural.... don't think you have to impress someone... If you're natural style suits their needs or desires then you'll be much beter competition for the other drummer.... and don't fret if you don't the next call back... It's probably not the project you need to be involved with...

bash110

I think Eric Carr had the same anxiety when he tried out for Kiss, he was a no-name local drummer who was working as a gas range repairman during the day and he was going up against very stiff competition.
I think you should be yourself and go for it and not worry if you don't get it but it's good practice to audition under pressure.

slingerland66

hey guys thanks for all your advice!!!!

the reason im crackin up a bit over the other drummer is because im not the ideal college student... im 22 and im getting OLD and im just waiting for a flippin break! well im gunna go practice for an hour or 2. THANKS dros!!! (drum bros)

-Phill-

kylevater

rlrrll":2rnolrui said:
zen_drummer":2rnolrui said:

I totally agree with Zen. Just do your thing and let them decide if that's the vibe they want for their band. I say be early, be friendly, but most of all, be professional and play your ass off!! After that, it's up to them.

Once I went to an audition where the guitar player showed up about 30 min late. As he walked in, I said "YOUR LATE!" in mock anger, which got a good laugh from everybody, and broke the tension in the room. I think that it helped them to warm up to me, so when I played there songs, they were more open to liking me.

tc
i dont mean to sound mean to you but youre very lucky that the people were cool enough to know it was a joke or they coulda told you to go home right there