Att: Death Metal drummers !

bash110

i went to my first death metal show the other night (Diskreet, Origin, Misery Index) and I was blown away!

Do most death metal dudes use a trigger on the bass drum to get that punchy in your face sound ? how does it work and what are the best ones to use and how do you tune the bass drum ? Can you play faster ?

Thanks!

T

Howepirate

bash110":d5a8xdxn said:
i went to my first death metal show the other night (Diskreet, Origin, Misery Index) and I was blown away!

Do most death metal dudes use a trigger on the bass drum to get that punchy in your face sound ? how does it work and what are the best ones to use and how do you tune the bass drum ? Can you play faster ?

Thanks!

T
A trigger is basically a sensor on your bassdrum (or tom toms or snare or any drum or pad or thing that would react to being hit) that attaches to the hoop that has a 1/4 inch jack that runs into a drum module, exactly like an electric set because all they are are triggered pads. The module produces the sound out through a set amount ot speakers, P.A.(bassists cabs if ur poor). All a trigger is is an enhancer to hear those lighter notes as u get faster and faster. Most DM dudes do a mic/trigger set-up that involves the mixing of both to get a fairly unique and audible sound of all notes hit. The best triggers ive seen are the more expensive DDrum triggers (they last longest because eventually the sensors get worn out and it mis-fires a lot). A lot of DM drummers will use birch bass drums and maple toms and metal snares and such to get the punchy bass drum, evil snare, and singing toms effect.

phil-drummer

im in a progressive death metal band ( www.myspace.com/scorcheddeity) and i havent got triggers, so until then i hav to really lay into the bass drums to get them to sound nice n loud, although pantera and fear factroy are the only 2 band with triggered bass drums that actualy sound realy awesome

Howepirate

phil-drummer":387ph0i0 said:
im in a progressive death metal band ( www.myspace.com/scorcheddeity) and i havent got triggers, so until then i hav to really lay into the bass drums to get them to sound nice n loud, although pantera and fear factroy are the only 2 band with triggered bass drums that actualy sound realy awesome
actually you'd be surprised to find out how many bands actually use triggers to cheat out a mic though live they might mix or just use regular mic

phil-drummer

really ? ha thats pretty cool , its easier to play a show if your kits mic'd up i spose, i always find u dont have to struggle so much to cut thru the wall of guitars n noise

scepticILL

Almost all extreme metal drummers trigger. It's just really hard to get a loud sound out of your bass drum at higher speeds.

drummert2k

im not a fan of metal so correct me if im wrong. but i think the reason most use triggers is because you can gate your kicks and really get them sounding tight and powerfull with triggers when you're playing at high speeds where regular mic's may sound sloppy and make fast kicking sound muddy

Howepirate

drummert2k":1ensoo2y said:
im not a fan of metal so correct me if im wrong. but i think the reason most use triggers is because you can gate your kicks and really get them sounding tight and powerfull with triggers when you're playing at high speeds where regular mic's may sound sloppy and make fast kicking sound muddy
tis true...its also harder to play with triggers because you have to play perfectly to get them to sound perfect because they are quite sensitive

writheindecay

drummert2k":2q9sv7nf said:

yeah pretty much. my kick trigger isnt set super sensitive though.
a boomy bass drum doing 16ths at anything over 200 bpm in a band setting sounds like shit imo.

one thing is for sure, if you suck at double bass, your trigger will let you know. its helped me learn to hit harder with my left foot.

Eiren

writheindecay":3al9kg2i said:
one thing is for sure, if you suck at double bass, your trigger will let you know. its helped me learn to hit harder with my left foot.
What kind of triggers do you use?

In my experience with triggers, it doesn't matter how hard you hit the bass drum, it still triggers the sample... so effectively, it's awful for making sure you are hitting the drum consistently with each foot at the same pressure.

You could hit five times as hard with your right as your left, and it would still sound the same when the sample plays.

Triggers are great for massive venues and death metal... but death metal done well, sounds far better with non triggered drums (as witnessed at the Malevolent Creation/Incantation gig I saw last Saturday).

Damagedrummer

phil-drummer":2k3vatbk said:
You're right!! Those bassdrumsounds are awesome!! But I'm not sure if vinne paul triggered his bassdrums. I know of one way he used to record the drums by putting a mic in the toms, and one on the outside. Maybe he did that with his bassdrum too. PLUS he used to stick big silver dollars to his beaters to get that extra attack in his bassdrum. Nowadays that attack is created by triggers, but he just did it the 'ol texas way!

What is also a big misunderstanding with triggers is that they would make you faster or make you play much easier or much tighter, like the triggers would do all the work. The opposite is actually true I think, because although you don't have to kick so hard to hear your bassdrums clearly...you do have to play ass-tight, because with triggers you hear everything! So there's no fooling around.

Damagedrummer

drummert2k":2qfkav2x said:
Yeah but you can always gate your mic's too. But playing with a sample is way easier than, getting a perfect bassdrumsound that has all the punch and boom you want.
For soundengineers triggers are really easy, they just clamp on the thing and you have a sound. But it takes a good engineer, to really get a GOOD sound out of the module and to calibrate the trigger in such a way, that is doesn't have false triggering from the bassplayer or whatever..

Damagedrummer

scepticILL":21ehr72q said:
Almost all extreme metal drummers trigger. It's just really hard to get a loud sound out of your bass drum at higher speeds.
I do know a cool quote from Ariën van Weesenbeek. He's is a dutch deathmetal drummer and a really good one too. He's the drummer of God Dethroned, and a while ago did some touring with aborted.
When he heard bands with triggered bassdrums he's never heard of triggers and thought it was just the way those guys played...So he started practising to be able to get that same sound out of his kick....untill somebody told him there where little things called triggers. Then he said to himself never to use triggers, and just always kick it straight out of the bassdrums! And he plays like hell!! Live he has a great sound, and he is one of my favourite dutch drummers!

It's almost like a fairytale bedtime story for young drummers :lol:

writheindecay

Eiren":9kkz02e7 said:
writheindecay":9kkz02e7 said:
What kind of triggers do you use?

In my experience with triggers, it doesn't matter how hard you hit the bass drum, it still triggers the sample... so effectively, it's awful for making sure you are hitting the drum consistently with each foot at the same pressure.

You could hit five times as hard with your right as your left, and it would still sound the same when the sample plays.
).
i use a ddrum bass drum trigger and an alesis dm5 module. speed metal kick, shifted to +3. velocity at 7, gain set at 85 when im practicing by myself, 99 during band practice.

thats EXACTLY why theyre so popular. i dont care who you are, your left foot is not going to hit the bass drum as hard as your right, especially if youre using a double bass pedal and one bass drum.

a bass drum trigger is not "awful for making sure"
the way mine is set up, you cant barely tap the head and it trigger, you have to actually try, since my left foot is weaker, i have to hit harder with it to set the trigger off. thus proving my point that my trigger has helped me work to improve my playing.
its also way easier to tell when someone sucks at double bass when theyre triggering, an acoustic bass drum sounds pretty muffled at around 200 bpm in a band setting, so you never really notice.

and theyre great for all venues, most sound guys are morons and dont know how to run live sound well. and if they do, theyre usually really good at indie rock mixes or something. i dont trigger my whole kit, my toms sound way too good, my bass drum sounds good too, but i like the consistancy having a trigger gives you. the show we played tonight, small venue, i brought my own pa for my trigger(peavey 118 black widow , yamaha 110 with horn and a yamaha powered mixer) and i was the only drummer whose bass drum was audible. mics pick up background noise, triggers are dead silent.

ive heard people talk down triggers and then talk about wanting an electronic kit. :lol: :lol: :lol: