Asama Percussion?

Dillanm

Hey guys,

So since I've had my kit, it's always had this gorgeous 14x7 Snare drum in this amazing red striped wood finish. (pics soon)

But, I've never heard anything from asama before and was wondering if you guys knew anything about them.

It had legs (marching, I presume) and it's got about 12 lugs, although it looks closer to 16

Any help is appreciated =]

Dillanm

Right, pictures, eventually. Sorry for the wait :

I just got around to fixing the strainer mechanism. Because it is so old, I had to replace all the bolts holding it together as they had either fallen out or rusted.
I'll get around to taking everything off and polishing the finish up at some point :p

Alan_

I don't think it's that old, judging by the design of the lugs/throwoff/bottom rim, although that muffler adjuster design does look pretty oldschool.

The wood is most likely Phillipine Mahogany (Luan). It looks like there's an outer ply with a stain/lacquer on it. I'm gonna guess that there's a ply of another wood on the outside, but since I've never seen Luan stained/lacquered I really couldn't tell you.

Dillanm

Yeah it's a lacquer. I really need to clean it up. I recently took the skins off and just resanded the bearing edges and it made a little improvement. The snare throwoff is really old school though, like really.:p

Alan_

would you mind posting a picture of the snare mechanism on the other side of the drum? from this side it looks like a parallel action mechanism.