Ari Hoenig and Chad Sexton

FiestyRedDrummEr

Wow...all I can say is wow. I met Ari Hoenig today. and just wow. He had like a 4 hour long drum clinic. He is amazing. and I have decided I'm going to marry him.
He is just wow.
And so nice. Very very down to earth. Like he walked up to me after, and actually asked me my name and gave me a hug. I was a lil star struck. But he is great.
And Chad is nice too. But I've met him before.

FiestyRedDrummEr

oh. and he plays his brushes matched.
I brought up the subject and I asked him if he thought it was better to play trad or matched on burshes (before even watching him play brushes)
He plays matched. But its the most unique grip I have ever seen. It's intersting. Watch it. Youtube Ari Hoenig. you might be able to catch it. and his whole reasonign behind it makes perfect sense. Also it doen't affect the sound. You still get the whole "swiiishhh" sounds as if i would be playing trad brushes. Amazing.

rufus4dagruv

Ari's sick, no doubt. I've never seen him play live, but I have seen a bunch of the YT and drummerworld vids. His touch, especially on his cymbals, is incredible. I have a feeling that he could make even the worst sounding piece of brass sing. I can't remember a vid where he was using his brushes though. I'll have to go back and try to find it. If anyone else does, would you please post a link? Thanks.

FiestyRedDrummEr

mos def. I will try to find some tonight. If I can't I will post up some pictures of how he holds them. So you can get an idea.
he goes from his own grip into matched and then back in his own grip throughout the piece. He is great. I'm dumbfounded.

rufus4dagruv

His main pic on the drummerworld page has him holding brushes standing behind his kit kinda leaning on his cymbal stands, but I just assumed that grip was more of a pose rather than his preferred grip. I'll keep a look out for a link to the pic or video. Thanks.