Are self taught drummers likely to have the wrong technique?

\m/-Kyon-\m/

Thanks to a post from paabs (thanks paabs) about pro drummers technique, I got to thinking, what about self taught drummers? Being self taught completely ive always wondered if im playing with the wrong technique, but I've never experienced any injury or serious uncomfort during, or after playing. I've read some books that show proper technique, and ive always tried my best to do it the right way, but i still wonder. Any help would greatly appreciated. Thanks

DrumsPlus

I think it really depends on the individual. Some people naturally have good technique, and really they just need fine tuning. Others, can develop bad habits early and it stays with them.

When I think of someone having a natural ability to just play without formal training, I think of Chris Adler. His technique is clean and exacting. So I think it is possible, but maybe not advised.

\m/-Kyon-\m/

DrumsPlus":3f0uev25 said:
I think it really depends on the individual. Some people naturally have good technique, and really they just need fine tuning. Others, can develop bad habits early and it stays with them.

When I think of someone having a natural ability to just play without formal training, I think of Chris Adler. His technique is clean and exacting. So I think it is possible, but maybe not advised.
Awesome thanks man! Chris Adler is one of my favorite drummers hands down so thats reassuring to know a bad ass drummer is also self taught!

DrumsPlus

\m/-Kyon-\m/":23yoz5r2 said:
DrumsPlus":23yoz5r2 said:

Awesome thanks man! Chris Adler is one of my favorite drummers hands down so thats reassuring to know a bad ass drummer is also self taught!
Just remember that he said it took him years of practicing up to 8 hours a day to get where he is. He has also said that he has a problem articulating things to other musicians without training.

I use to think it was pointless when I was younger and still my parents made me take lessons. As I got older I found out that with lessons, I can communicate better, changed my technique to help me with stamina and breaking things, and generally playing better.

My son is 11 years old and has been playing for a year now. He comes to lessons with me, and I give him more lessons at home. I have seen him blow the doors off of guys who are self taught and have been doing playing for 2 to 3 years longer than him. I often tell him that he will pass me by, by the end of next year. It just helps that much.

\m/-Kyon-\m/

DrumsPlus":2uvol6t6 said:
\m/-Kyon-\m/":2uvol6t6 said:
DrumsPlus":2uvol6t6 said:

Just remember that he said it took him years of practicing up to 8 hours a day to get where he is. He has also said that he has a problem articulating things to other musicians without training.

I use to think it was pointless when I was younger and still my parents made me take lessons. As I got older I found out that with lessons, I can communicate better, changed my technique to help me with stamina and breaking things, and generally playing better.

My son is 11 years old and has been playing for a year now. He comes to lessons with me, and I give him more lessons at home. I have seen him blow the doors off of guys who are self taught and have been doing playing for 2 to 3 years longer than him. I often tell him that he will pass me by, by the end of next year. It just helps that much.
Yeah i see. I wish i was in a spot with a teacher readily availabe but i live on a ranch and cowboy for a living so the nearest pro drum teacher is like 3 hours away. lol. i put everything ive got in to drumming though.

Metaldrummer89

i played french grip for my first year playing.

went to lessans and the teacher made me switch to american grip.

3 years later i relearned french and learned german aswell.

if it hadn't of been for lessons i would have probably stuck to french, and never learned the others.

lessons are good for expanding your horizons so to speak.

but i think beginners will usually figure out one of the three on their own just for comfort reasons.

DrumsPlus

\m/-Kyon-\m/":1nqsbw8t said:
DrumsPlus":1nqsbw8t said:
\m/-Kyon-\m/":1nqsbw8t said:
DrumsPlus":1nqsbw8t said:

Yeah i see. I wish i was in a spot with a teacher readily availabe but i live on a ranch and cowboy for a living so the nearest pro drum teacher is like 3 hours away. lol. i put everything ive got in to drumming though.
There are some great videos out these days. I would suggest find a few of them and practicing with them. If you can video tape yourself and then maybe send it to an instructor, they maybe able to give you tips over the web. Technology can get great.

dwtoast72

I'm completely self taught, as well. But, I have experience on other instruments and thus have been exposed to those who are trained drummers and I learned to mimic their playing techniques and ran with it from there. Sometimes that's what you gotta do..

pdp

I think it depends on the person. I taught myself and I would think I have good technique.
But for other people, it may take a while to get good technique. Look at Keith Moon. In some of
the early footage of him playing he had a very weird technique.

imjeffcanudigit

i wish i would've started playing earlier than 16 but it didn't interest me but as of now i'm self taught and plan on getting lessons when i have a job and time.

break the prism

There will definitely be discrepancies between your technique and that of people who have had training, but that doesn't really make them wrong. I'm self taught and there are a few things that I do differently than friends of mine who have been taking lessons for longer than I have been playing, but I've never run into problems.

Brother_Bong

Howepirate":3hdqrv9f said:
youtube.com

drummerworld.com

Everything you need is right there.
Exactly, self-taught, as a term, is old school. The new self taught drummer has access to the net, tabs, vids, online forums.. :shock: , and everything that youtube has to offer. We are taking lessons by proxie. Now, this may work for some, but some guys need to be told to sit up straighter, bring your elbows in, look to where you are playing, so, I think lessons should be for people that think they need them.

Manzo

in my grammar school, we had a school band there starting in 3rd grade. I started in 3rd grade and played till 8th. That was really how I got started on drums cos I wanted to be like my dad because he played drums when he was a kid I guess. It was just like a snare thing, not a drum line or anything (i wish). However, we had really shitty teachers and only told us how to play the songs, not explain the basics of playing. I didn't know the name but I always played in a german grip since as far as I can remember (i know that now of course). In high school I didnt want to join the band because if I did, I would lose my study hall and god help me I need it :? I use youtube and these types of fourms as my tutor. If you know how to self tutor right, its fine and it saves money.

oh yeah, and I can not understand the damn french grip, I really wanna master that, im straight out german gripper.