Are Kick-Drum Patches A Must??

NoDrumsForYou

hey hey. i just put down $40 for the Aquarian Super Kick II's and i was wondering i should get a patch or whatever for it.

do they mess with the sound at all??

or is it worth it to get one?

loop

Drum patches are worth the money. They will make your head last really long and they focus the sound, but just a bit.

Scott_Hurford

as loop said, they are well worth getting. if your paying high prices for your drums head and u want to preserve its life i suggest you buy a patch

cgaffka

u can always do it the free way, or atleast cheaper way. take an old snare head or any head really, i like using snare heads mainly because of the batter. cut a rectangle, or square if your not using double bass, out of the head big enough to fit the area of your pedal mallots. use some good ol duct tape and patch it right onto your bass drum head. works great. problem with the bass drum patches is they never stick! they always peel n just dont work for me. usin an old head is basically the same thing!

usmdrummer

Buy the Aquarina patch. It's heavy duty and won't wear through or come off. I have the double bass patch on my Superkick II. Sounds awesome!

Rob Crisp

cgaffka":3bn7q1gz said:
u can always do it the free way, or atleast cheaper way. take an old snare head or any head really, i like using snare heads mainly because of the batter. cut a rectangle, or square if your not using double bass, out of the head big enough to fit the area of your pedal mallots. use some good ol duct tape and patch it right onto your bass drum head. works great. problem with the bass drum patches is they never stick! they always peel n just dont work for me. usin an old head is basically the same thing!
REALLY! I find I always get the sodding patch off centre and then it won't come off! :p

pphunk

Patches are pretty much a must, but Super Kicks have sucked for me in the past even with a patch. Hell, even with two patches. I tried the single ply at first and that lasted about a month, the two ply about a month and a half. I tried three differnt beaters, same deal. I have a Remo something or other now-sorry i'll have to check later tonight for the exact head-and i've had this for about 5 months now. Anyone else had bad luck with Super Kicks?

McSleeps

I have a Super Kick I (1ply) with a REMO flam patch, and i use plastic beaters. I haven't had any problems with it at all, I like using a 1 ply skin because i find it louder and less muffled, but with the plastic beaters the patch is definatly nessesary. Theres almost no wear in the patch and i've had it for at least 3 months. I used to use the Evans patch (black felt like patch) but it usually wore through in 2 months. Anyways i would recommend the Remo falam patch.

dougthedrummer

Even though I use Evans heads.I use Remos falam patch.It is much thicker,and durable...Or if you plan on cutting out a hole in your front head..use the left over material for a patch.

AMTJake

I've used gibraltar, evans, and aquarian and the gibraltar lasted the longest but the evans allowed for a bit better of a sound I thought.

Kustom56Merc

No drums for you, have you ever ripped a hole through your bass drum head? If not than there is no reason to get paranoid prolonging the life of your head. Sometimes the patch will tone down the warmth and thundering sound of a well made bass drum. Try playing with out when and if you don't like the sound than get a patch. The remo flams have worked for me, but like someone said they peel off after a while, and then it's time to buy another one or use crazy glue.

zen_drummer

I've been using gaffers tape and it seems to work just as well as the patches I've used.

It's not as pretty though...