Are all drummers simple minded???

thedrizzle81

I have been very fortunate to have been a working drummer for the better part of my adult years. After years of watching different bands, going to clinics, and reading drum magazines, I have decided that, we as the collective community of drummers, are snobs. Now before you jump down my throat, think about this for a second. If you are familiar with the publication Modern Drummer, everytime that fine periodical has the most current "it" band's drummer on the cover, you immediately start reading in the next month's letters to the editor how it was a shame that "you (the magazine) felt it neccessary to sell a few more issues than to put Buddy Rich or John Bonham on the cover." Ok, how many times do we need to be reminded that Buddy was AMAZING? or that Bonzo was a giant behind the kit? I really feel like so much more could be done to say, "hey if you like (insert current up and comer here), you should check out this guy, this is the guy who influenced him." Are you serioulsy going to tell me that since
?uestlove from the Roots doesn't play 32nd note fills in odd time signatures that he isn't a good drummer? There are a lot of solid drummers out there and I think its real destructive to tell the younger guys "oh, this guy sucks b/c he plays this style of music." I know that its hard to watch drummers that aren't anywhere near your ability level get fame and adulation but if you are that dedicated to your craft, you won't let it stop you. So, dig the drummers that you like and let the haters worry about who is "the best drummer since Buddy Rich died." I love the all the greats that made drumming what it is today, but I want to be recognized for being myself behind my kit.

BillRayDrums

I gave up being a "drummer" and started being a "musician" when I got my first major gig. The threat of having your paycheck reduced to zero (docking your pay for mistakes) or losing the gig was enough to smarten me up.

Granted, we all love to play lots of notes, bend time around metronomic boundaries, piss off guitarists and those with lesser metric skills with our abilities to play convoluted fills and whatnot.

Ever have a conversation with a self-absorbed egotist that uses lots of big words and tries to dazzle you with his knowledge about everything under the sun? Well, It's kind of like that. When you become a great listener, put others (including the music) first, then you stand a chance of getting many phone calls. Just because your feet are able to sustain 300bpm of 32nd notes will NOT get you hired for anything unless you have something upstairs to back it up, and that something is the ability to LISTEN and play in congruence to the situation.

Funny- I went through an old phone book of mind from like, 10 years ago. One of those old SHARP 128k organizers...the kind with the little typing keypad. I had about 500 drummers names in there and like 80 guitarists, 100 bassists, etc. Now WHERE DO YOU THINK I'M GONNA GET MY WORK FROM? Sheesh- other drummers are trying to hold on to their gigs!!

OK gotta go! I gots things to do today.

break the prism

i'm actually the most intellectual member of my band. i'm the only one that plans to further my non-musical education, and i tend to be the one who comes up with newer ideas.
as for Modern Drummer...for some reason i just can't really get into magazines. if a drummer writes a great book on technique, showmanshiop, or theory, i'll read it and reread it. but i can't look at a magazine for more than five minutes unless it's a medical journal or something.

thedrizzle81":3552jd0u said:
I have been very fortunate to have been a working drummer for the better part of my adult years. After years of watching different bands, going to clinics, and reading drum magazines, I have decided that, we as the collective community of drummers, are snobs. Now before you jump down my throat, think about this for a second. If you are familiar with the publication Modern Drummer, everytime that fine periodical has the most current "it" band's drummer on the cover, you immediately start reading in the next month's letters to the editor how it was a shame that "you (the magazine) felt it neccessary to sell a few more issues than to put Buddy Rich or John Bonham on the cover." Ok, how many times do we need to be reminded that Buddy was AMAZING? or that Bonzo was a giant behind the kit? I really feel like so much more could be done to say, "hey if you like (insert current up and comer here), you should check out this guy, this is the guy who influenced him." Are you serioulsy going to tell me that since
?uestlove from the Roots doesn't play 32nd note fills in odd time signatures that he isn't a good drummer? There are a lot of solid drummers out there and I think its real destructive to tell the younger guys "oh, this guy sucks b/c he plays this style of music." I know that its hard to watch drummers that aren't anywhere near your ability level get fame and adulation but if you are that dedicated to your craft, you won't let it stop you. So, dig the drummers that you like and let the haters worry about who is "the best drummer since Buddy Rich died." I love the all the greats that made drumming what it is today, but I want to be recognized for being myself behind my kit.
life is unfair and there are people in every hobby or career that are simple and/or closed minded and all that. but you know YOUR not and there are thousands of people out there that feel just like that, thats why i dont really pay much attention to the drum magazines these days apart from bits n bobs. the only thing i can say is that there are other musician communities (cough guitar cough) that is alot more ignorant and closed minded than the drumming community and for that i am still proud to be a part of it. if you want the real story you gotta go to the real drummers... thats why i come here.

tomeleefan

agree completely. my last girlfriend and I broke up because she thought I came off as acting better than everyone else. also, if there was ever a band playing I was so critical of the drummer as opposed to having fun. it sux but I worked my aas off to get to this level, fuck em'.hahaha

EnTropY

me ? simple minded ?

chances

I would have thought it was the other way around, I thought most drummers have a great understanding of things...?

well I can assure you, all the good ones do

Jaki

most drummers have no idea what is going on most of the time.. but they understand everything...weird

MrMcFetus

Yeah, I don't think I ever was a "drummer" but always more of a "musician" And I only think that is so because I started off on clarinet, then worked my way to tenor, then picked up drums. It's other drummers that don't know what a key is, or don't know what enharmonic spellings, or that really don't know much about music theory in general, but still think they know everything. There were many of those kind of people on our drumline, and that is why I quit, and went to marching tenor.
And hey, even if you don't know music theory, you should pick it up. Make your self a "percussionist" not a "drummer."

Moo

The question of simple-mindedness really just depends on the individual. It has little or nothing to do with which instrument they play. Simple as that.
Personally, I'm very analytical, and I tend to be most critical of band members who's professionalism and dedication to the music aren't a priority, regardless of their skill level. Simple answer,....the best drummers can't afford to be simple-minded, ...the worst drummers don't realize they're simple-minded.

andybfrank

MrMcFetus":3v08gbfd said:
And hey, even if you don't know music theory, you should pick it up. Make your self a "percussionist" not a "drummer."
In my first semester of college, one of the older and wiser percussion majors asked me if I was a drummer or a percussionist. I said, "Can't I be both?" I understand your point about being a percussionist, but sometimes its fun to be, and the music actually calls for a drummer. I am not ashamed to say that I am a drummer and a percussionist.

skitch

BillRayDrums":13riy3ti said:
I gave up being a "drummer" and started being a "musician" when I got my first major gig. The threat of having your paycheck reduced to zero (docking your pay for mistakes) or losing the gig was enough to smarten me up.

Granted, we all love to play lots of notes, bend time around metronomic boundaries, piss off guitarists and those with lesser metric skills with our abilities to play convoluted fills and whatnot.

Ever have a conversation with a self-absorbed egotist that uses lots of big words and tries to dazzle you with his knowledge about everything under the sun? Well, It's kind of like that. When you become a great listener, put others (including the music) first, then you stand a chance of getting many phone calls. Just because your feet are able to sustain 300bpm of 32nd notes will NOT get you hired for anything unless you have something upstairs to back it up, and that something is the ability to LISTEN and play in congruence to the situation.

Funny- I went through an old phone book of mind from like, 10 years ago. One of those old SHARP 128k organizers...the kind with the little typing keypad. I had about 500 drummers names in there and like 80 guitarists, 100 bassists, etc. Now WHERE DO YOU THINK I'M GONNA GET MY WORK FROM? Sheesh- other drummers are trying to hold on to their gigs!!

OK gotta go! I gots things to do today.
I second that!

stump

I believe that one of the definitions of simple minded is the word Artless. I also believe that an accurate definition of Artless is, without skill or talent and clumsy. Music is an art in every sense and in my opinion, if you are a drummer then for the most part you have some level of talent. Now I agree that there are some people out there that don't have any business behind a piece of percussion equipment but are all drummers simple minded??? By definition...No! Some who are closed minded and arrogant....well who can argue with that.