Anyone Like Big Bass Drums???

justin headley

I use a 20x26 a 16x28 or a 48x22

i hate 22" bass drums you cant get the lowend or the punch like a bigger bass drum. anyone else use bigger bass drums???

meta L ucas

i must object. for a tight, big sounding bass drum, i would use a 22'' or smaller. anything bigger than a 22 takes way too much energy to play and is a lot more troule to transport.

MasterShake89

22s are my favorite size bass drum. not to big, not to small. tuned right it gives me the medium right between punch, pop, and low end, lets u stand out but not overpower, and you dont have to deal with a whomping kind of sound

drummert2k

justin headley":4ugxn09f said:
i hate 22" bass drums you cant get the lowend or the punch like a bigger bass drum. anyone else use bigger bass drums???
looks like you need a new sound guy if you dont hear the low end and punch you want. or re think your tuning process

Timekeep69

I have 24x24's on my kit. No extra effort to play them, they have plenty of low end and a crap load of volume.

screamkevin

The best naturally-sounding (no mics) bass drum I ever played was my buddy Rob's 18"x20" DW. Smaller bass drums still have bottom end, and are so focused it's amazing. I love my Yamaha 17"x22" kicks, and wouldn't trade them for the world. I get tons of punch and bottom end from them. It's all in the tuning, mic'ing, and tweaking from the soundman.

r2ndrummer8

I use a standard 22 bass and I like it. but I would reather have a much larger one. The 22 has a good kick to it when it is miced. Other than that it is pretty basic. I would love to have a much larger one though. The Bigger the better. I am with you on that one man. haha Nate Young from Anberlin has a huge one. I have seen them play live a few times and that thing kicks pretty awesome, it has quite a thud too it. There is only so much you can do with the smaller bass drums, It depends on how you tune them and how they are miced. Def. Go big :lol:

Jee

I use a 1969 ludwig 28" and it is the best sounding bass drum in the world! Sound men love this drum as much as everyone. I used to leave it emty but now I have been puting stuffed animals in it to dampen a little. There is no way to get this big of a sound from a 22". End of story.

golfchance

My favorite kick drum is my 14" x 28" - it rules! Not sure what the shell is. It's obviously very old - probably a marching drum that someone converted to a kick drum. It's been retrofitted with Ludwig Classic lugs and spurs, and a Rogers cymbal mount.

charliemac1962

I HAVE TO SAY FOR MY BEST TONE,I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEM WITH PUNCH WITH A 22 OR 20 FOR THAT MATTER.I THINK TOO MUCH LOW MAKES MUDD. SAME WAY WITH A BASS GUITAR, IT NEEDS TO BE CLEAN. YOU NEED TO HEAR EVERY NOTE. 24" CAN WORK IF YOU HAVE A GOOD HOUSE ENGINEER AND THE RIGHT TUNING BUT WHY FIGHT IT. STAY WITH A 22" AND MY PREFFERENCE 18" DEEP. CHARLIE[/i][/b]

charliemac1962

TALKING ABOUT PUNCH FROM THE BASS DRUM, I CAME UP WITH A COMBINATION THAT HAS WORKED VERY WELL LIVE AND STUDIO. I USE A WOOD BEATER AND A PIECE OF LEXAN[KINDA LIKE PLEXAGLASS], BUT PLEXIGLASS WILL SHATTER IN SECONDS. I USE DIFFERENT THICKNESSES DEPENDING ON MANY VARIABLES. MICS OR NO MICS, SMALL ROOMS OR LARGE, MANY THINGS CAUSE ME TO CHANGE THICKNESS. THIS MAKES MY B.D. SOUND LIKE WHAT OTHERS HAVE CALLED IT A CANNON. SO MUCH ATTACK WITHOUT COMPRIMIZING TONE AT ALL.THIS ADDS 1000 PERCENT MORE PRESENCE ON STAGE AND VERY CLEAR AND DEFINATE.HOPE THIS HELPS IF SOMEONE IS HAVING TROUBLE WITH KICK ATTACK CHARLIE

i use 18"x24" kick drums, I stopped using 22"ers,me personlly i like the big fat and wet sound in my kicks. I also have a 16"x20" kick i pull out everyone once in a blue moon..