Anyone know brush techniques??

lisamp7

Hi everyone! I am new to this site and new to really anything having to do with jazz. I am a rock drummer for 12 years.
So I am in a new band and there are a few songs I use brushes on and i really want to get the technique down..anyone have any suggestions or videos that would help? I want to get that swirly thing down =)

Thanks everyone,

Lisa
NYC[/i]

Marki777

its a simple move thats tough to get the right feel. We call it "stiring the soup". Basically both hands are doing a figure 8 pattern thats in rythm of the tune being played. Check out the Tony Bennet video (i forget what its called) but his drummer does some great brush work.

broozer

i can't remember his name, but tony bennet has one of THE best drummers when it comes to brush work. check out some of his stuff and i promise it'll blow your mind what he does with brushes.

bruce

Gaddabout

lisamp7":3vhc38j9 said:
So I am in a new band and there are a few songs I use brushes on and i really want to get the technique down..anyone have any suggestions or videos that would help? I want to get that swirly thing down =)
Important question: Are you supposed to use the brushes in a jazz brush style, or are you just playing songs with brushes? There are lots of gigs where you would use brushes but not actually play a jazz brush technique -- it would be way too quiet to cut through the first few watts of guitar.

HOWEVER, if you are needing a jazz brush technique, the simplest (cheater) method is to make counterclockwise circles with the flat end of the left brush just to the left of the center of the head, while using the right hand to comp (or perhaps in this case to keep 2&4 going). If there isn't a need for snare drum comping or 2&4, make circles with both brushes. Do that for while and the figure 8 style will eventually come to you.

Extra tip: Experiment with your left foot hi-hat. You can get some splashies and stuff in there to color.