anyone here drum in a pipe band?

break the prism

i do. the snares are extremely tight to a choked tone, which is okay for marching, but i wouldn't apply it to any other type of music.

crfonck

I used to play and teach drums with the pipe band at the Univeristy of Iowa years ago. I loved the sound of the snare drums, but that could just be personal preference. Scots drums have a double snare setup (under both top and bottom heads), and sound pretty good when you play tight closed or buzz rolls, which is a lot of the drumming style. Hated wearing a sling though...had to get used to the drum wandering around a little compared to a marching carrier.

king_friday

i payed sides in a pipe band for five years. it was fun, got best drum corp in one of our competitions that i played lead tip in.

mute

yeah, i know that they're tightened to shit, with the kevlar head (right?) to keep them from snapping. i wouldn't want that exact sound for my set but i really like the idea of the dual snare. also, those drums are huge; they'd never fit on a set. i like my small, 10"

king_friday

mute":2orx0o4e said:
yeah, i know that they're tightened to shit, with the kevlar head (right?) to keep them from snapping. i wouldn't want that exact sound for my set but i really like the idea of the dual snare. also, those drums are huge; they'd never fit on a set. i like my small, 10"
you could put em on a set if you really wanted to, sometimes i would put my marching snare on my kit just for the hell of it.

mute

yeah, but how did that sound? did it mesh with the rest of the kit at all?

also, aren't marching snares pretty different than pipe snares?