Anyone else use Vented Snare Drums?

slingerland66

So my local guitar center in central jerz cut a deal with orange county drum and percussion. little did i know on christmas day.. i would be the proud owner of one of their snares.

its a 14 X 6 sparkle 20 ply with 7/8 offset lugs and four 3 inch vents. idk if any of you guys have tried one of these...but HOLY SHIT! the attack and body is at a perfect equilibrium especially for my drum corps. backround when i wanna cut some duple rolls etc..

This isnt my first vented snare... i have a spaun acrylic 13 X 5 "coke bottle" with two three inch vents... the DRYIEST snare ever which makes it sooo chad sexton of 311 !! since using vented, i will never go back to a "loose meaty fat" sounding snare.

Opinions?

anavrinIV

it wasnt just your guitar center...the entire corporation got a deal with ocdp and every gc across the nation had a couple of their snares at one point...the one near me in charlotte has a couple of them too. i hate ocdp with a passion though so i dont own one and never plan to.

i do, however, have an 8 ply 6x14 vented spaun snare. its not the 20 ply that i had originally wanted but a custom 20 ply was going to run me around 600 and the company that i was going to order from said they werent making any more orders...and they told me this on the day i was planning to buy one. so the next day i went to guitar center bought my spaun (i also want the coke bottle...youre one lucky sob) and i have no regrets. i absolutely love the sound of my snare.

anavrinIV

the cokebottle snare is very bright and extremely loud (especially considering that its a 13x5.5). the snare is crisp and cutting. i love the sound of it and really want to own one.

Daneman

slingerland66":1mz9fhd1 said:
its a 14 X 6 sparkle 20 ply with 7/8 offset lugs and four 3 inch vents. idk if any of you guys have tried one of these...but HOLY SHIT! the attack and body is at a perfect equilibrium especially for my drum corps. backround when i wanna cut some duple rolls etc..

This isnt my first vented snare... i have a spaun acrylic 13 X 5 "coke bottle" with two three inch vents... the DRYIEST snare ever which makes it sooo chad sexton of 311 !! since using vented, i will never go back to a "loose meaty fat" sounding snare.
The attack from the 14x6 is more influenced by the number of plies more than the vents. Vents dry out a sound because you are subtracting from the area of the shell which decreases overall resonance. At a certain point you'll end up hearing more of the heads than the actual drumshell.