anyone else use a drum dial?

... if so... what are your opinions?

i like it because it allows me to tune my kit in a 1/4 of the time.

it also allows me to tune my kit exactly the same every time i change my heads.

it's also great in situations where i've gotta tune without making much noise.

at the same time, the few negatives i've notices:

it scratches the hell out of your heads.

i'll often times try to tune my heads to, say, 75. one tension rod will be torqued pretty good and be sitting pretty at 75. the tension rod next to it will barely be finger tight and at 80, making it impossible to bring down to the right tension (hell, you could probably take the tension rod out and it'd still be too high...)

this happens even when heads are new and are seated properly on the drums.

very frustrating.

Call me Gideon

I own one that I bought over a year ago and Ive only, really, used it one time. It didnt seem to be speeding the process up for me so I kinda just set it to the side and havent picked it up since.

i bought it mainly with the studio in mind.

and while i could / can tune a drum set, i like the fact that with the drum dial, i can get my kit to sound exactly the same all the time.

though i've gotta say the thing's faults are almost annoying enough to stop using it.

drummert2k

drum dials are good until your rods and lug nits start getting worn and dont hold tension quite the same as the next. then it kinda makes the dial useless.

i actually came out of the womb with 2 great drum tunning devices already built in. my hands to use the drum key and my hears to hear the drum. thats all i've used and all that needs to be used.

Shalaq

There has already been a topic on this. Use the search engine.
The dial should be used to tune up to 10 point on the scale. Get all the wrinkles out, cross-tune all the lugs using small incements until you hear a slightly lower tone from that which you want the head to be tuned to. Then use the dial to just tweak the head. Lastly, check for high/low pitches. Usually when one lug sounds higher, the opposite sounds lower. Tweak them to get even tension, muffle to your liking and your good to go.

Shalaq":1r23h54l said:
There has already been a topic on this. Use the search engine.
sorry dude, didn't mean to ruffle your feathers.

i used the search engine and couldn't find s**t on drum dials except for one post about using them on bass drums.

i didn't realize that it was brought up so frequently that it would irritate someone to have it brought up again.

drummert2k":1r23h54l said:
drum dials are good until your rods and lug nits start getting worn and dont hold tension quite the same as the next. then it kinda makes the dial useless.

i actually came out of the womb with 2 great drum tunning devices already built in. my hands to use the drum key and my hears to hear the drum. thats all i've used and all that needs to be used.
yeah. i can tune by ear as well. i just picked one up because i thought it'd come in handy in the studio and in situations where i either didn't have the time or the luxery of tuning and tapping on my drums repeatedly.

my rods are fine. my kit's brand new. really strange. i find i have more problems with it on my floor toms than on my rack toms.

Shalaq

It's not irritating, I just said that there were some topics (at least two). Strange, because I also can't find them at the moment.

Anyway, you said that it scratches the heads. Do you slide the dial on the head? Because I don't slide my Tension Watch on the heads and they're not scratched.

drummernick

yea dude just because its a new set doesnt mean the rods wont be messed up or watever wen i got my tama custom superstar i put new heads on it and had the same problem. honestly just go by ear and sum times wen i am putting new heads on i tighten them up leave them for a little while to get worn in then i tune them to my desir4ed sound an i use the tuner more for my snare drum an i dont use it for my bass drum because itd take to long. mostly just fine tuning an that stuff