Anyone else have this problem?

Metal Mickey

When doing paradiddles... I've been practising them quite a lot over the last couple of months, and some days I do them really good; but then I get periods where my left hand just won't comply at all, it ends up doing a single hit when it needs a double, and it buggers the whole sound up.

I'm thinking two things; either I went too fast and need to start learning them all over again, building speed very gradually; or I need to warm up my left hand a bit before I start doing them...? I just hate the inconsistency.

zen_drummer

The tendancy is to try to run before you can walk...

Slow down, and practice them daily at a slower speed, and HOLD yourself at that speed. Use a metronome.

Each day, increase the speed by a few percent, again using the metronome.

If you get to a day when it's falling apart, practice at that speed for as many days as it takes to get that speed perfect, then move on.

This is all about developing muscle memory, and time is your friend, the more time you spend at each point, the more solid you'll be once you move on.

Metal Mickey

zen_drummer":k7aahyo8 said:

Slow down, and practice them daily at a slower speed, and HOLD yourself at that speed. Use a metronome.

If you get to a day when it's falling apart, practice at that speed for as many days as it takes to get that speed perfect, then move on.

This is all about developing muscle memory, and time is your friend, the more time you spend at each point, the more solid you'll be once you move on.
Cheers.

I think it's very true about running before you can walk. I've been pretty strict with myself, only been playing for four months or so, but I've been trying not to learn too much too soon - I'm not staying really basic, I'm incorporating some more complicated stuff like odd time signatures, bass hits in my fills, ghost notes and accents, triplets etc., but I'm keeping it under control. I mean, every time I practise on the kit (two hours a day lately) I make sure I go over all the beats I know, even if it's just for a minute each, and today I was making sure my timing on the simple single stroke was up to scratch. It's hard with the paradiddles though, I have an urge to speed it all up more than anything else. I'll keep going at it with the metronome.

BillRayDrums

Start out paradiddles with your left hand. Put the weaker hand out front. It'll start to comply.

Besides, realize that paradiddles have a "primary" motion (RLR LRL) and to achieve the paradiddle just double the last note.

See them as yin/yang, vis-a-vis a "4 note unit" rather than 4 separate notes. You have your Right side, you have your Left side.

So instead of thinking/playing RLRR LRLL

You are thinking R(lrr) L(rll)

See? consolidation of thought. It's a good thing.

Thank u drive thru

okjohne

Heavy stuff Billy. I feel ya. Here here and I might add... Sit and focus on the snare, There are tons of diddles to do. You can go rlrrlrrlrrlrrlrr or lrllrllrrllrllrlrrlrrll. or what ever so if you look at it from that view it's never borring. Ya gotta play them a ton starting with the basic lrll rlrr. Every day. I'd spend a minute or two just on rllrllrllrllrllrll. Put your right on your first tom and don't deviate for now. Keep it up bro.

SGarrett

zen_drummer":vamvg46u said:

I speed up by 2bpm a day and, as you said, lingering as long as needed when things just aren't working.

BillRayDrums":vamvg46u said:
Start out paradiddles with your left hand. Put the weaker hand out front. It'll start to comply.

Besides, realize that paradiddles have a "primary" motion (RLR LRL) and to achieve the paradiddle just double the last note.

See them as yin/yang, vis-a-vis a "4 note unit" rather than 4 separate notes. You have your Right side, you have your Left side.

Thank u drive thru
I do that, too. I kind of bob my head back and forth like Ringo when I practice them so accentuate it.

ChrisNichols

I used to have this problem. But everyone else is spot on, that's how I did it as well. Just take er slow at first and gradually speed up. Mine are super smooth right now, they're my favourite rudiment! :D

Hmm, just realized how sad the phrase 'my favourite rudiment' sounds...crap, better go have some sex now. Bye.

drumur

I like this.
This is what i try to teach my students.
Emphasizing the 1/4 note pulse from R to L or vise-versa.