Anyone else find this really awesome?

Gaddabout

Great find! That's my boy. I've been looking for more clips on Andrew Fisenden. He's the new Aussie up-and-comer. He played a clinic with Steve Smith and Smith came off the stage sort of starstruck. He's only 21.

Fisenden plays in an organ duo that's uber-funky. You should definitely check his audio clips on MySpace. He's sort of a cross between Vinnie and ?uestlove.

drummert2k

im gonna definetly check out anything i can find on him. this is personaly a style i would love to be more fluent in. its like part sparatic, part deep groove and everything is super tight and clean. and on such a small kit, that to me takes tons of creativity

screamkevin

I've said it before, I'll say it again...Groove is everything. When you can kill on a small kit like that, the rest is gravy. But you have to groove first. It doesn't matter if you can blast out double kick at 240bpm if your groove sucks balls. Groove, groove, groove. A mantra to live by.

Gazdkw82§

this guy is incredible! and at 21 he is defo gonna be someone who will make waves in the drum world. his attention to perfection is amazing, every chop and fill is perfect.

i wonder how much time he has spent practicing and playing, it must have been intensive learning, practicing, giging etc to be that good so young.

i always wonder how quickly id progress if i could play full time.

kplante069

Amazing! You read so many posts about drummers who want huge sets and cymbals everywhere. I've been guily of it too. If you can't do it with a 4 piece & a couple of cymbals than you can't do it.

zen_drummer

kplante069":ymzium76 said:
Amazing! You read so many posts about drummers who want huge sets and cymbals everywhere. I've been guily of it too. If you can't do it with a 4 piece & a couple of cymbals than you can't do it.
I used to say "You should never have more tom toms than you have testicles". This guy did me one better!

Great video, thanks for sharing it!

Gazdkw82§

i wanna some of them licks but where do you start. i can work out there is alot of linear stuff in there, and his left hand never stops. i cant work out though, does he use double kick?

Gaddabout

Gazdkw82§":3s5gkfxc said:
i wanna some of them licks but where do you start. i can work out there is alot of linear stuff in there, and his left hand never stops. i cant work out though, does he use double kick?
I believe he's a single-kick guy. Half the stuff he does is simply hand-to-foot, with a lot of modulation. For example, play the snare with your left hand and your floor tom with your right hand and try this exercise all the way through (this exercise is learned best slowly, while keeping quarter notes going on the hi-hat):

Quarter notes: R F L F | R F L F
Quarter note triplets: R F L F R F | L F R F L F
Eighth notes: R F L F R F L F | R F L F R F L F
Eighth-note triplets: R F L F R F L F R F L F | ////
Sixteenths ...
Sextuplets ...
32nd notes ...

This is a great exercise to build a lot of his type of chops, and it trains your ear to hear those modulations. Mix it up. Do it with just your right hand and foot. Do with left and foot. Do it with both hands in unison and your foot. There are other exercises to teach you how to play over the bar while carrying fill themes etc. I'd encourage you to check out Frank Brigg's book The Complete Modern Drum Set. Tons of stuff like that in there.

fourstringdrums

Wow, that guy was great. I love the tune as well, one of my favorites that I've seen Brian Blade play. I love the simplistic setup which I love doing myself from time to time, although at the moment when my new set comes in I'll be guilty of having more drums and cymbals than I've had in years. But there's always the option not to use them :)

Gazdkw82§

Quarter notes: R F L F | R F L F
Quarter note triplets: R F L F R F | L F R F L F
Eighth notes: R F L F R F L F | R F L F R F L F
Eighth-note triplets: R F L F R F L F R F L F | ////
Sixteenths ...
Sextuplets ...
32nd notes ...

whats the R F L stand for? is it just right hand, foot and left hand?

dumbnameiknow

talk about bravery!! i read books and watch instructional videos with guys that have big expensive kits and this guy only has 3 drums!! he rocks out like he has a million drums!!

Gaddabout

Gazdkw82§":363p055s said:
Sorry, yes:

R = Right hand
L = Left hand
F = Bass drum/Right foot

I do a lot of these fills on my five-piece and there so many cool combos you can do. I was just offering one version.

I think the best part about getting hand-to-feet fills down is you can incorporate a lot of seriously cool stuff while maintaining a ride pattern. Vinnie Colaiuta does a lot of left-hand-to-right-foot fills -- complicated phrasings and notation -- to a cascara pattern on the ride while keeping a slushy quarter note going on his hi hat. It feels and sounds good.

zerodogma

Makes me re-think the new kit I will be putting together.

Screw spending all that cash on extra drum gear... spend it on some quality lessons, practice, practice some more, lather / rinse / repeat. :D

Gazdkw82§

Gaddabout":2hl6fm61 said:
Gazdkw82§":2hl6fm61 said:
Sorry, yes:

R = Right hand
L = Left hand
F = Bass drum/Right foot

I do a lot of these fills on my five-piece and there so many cool combos you can do. I was just offering one version.

I think the best part about getting hand-to-feet fills down is you can incorporate a lot of seriously cool stuff while maintaining a ride pattern. Vinnie Colaiuta does a lot of left-hand-to-right-foot fills -- complicated phrasings and notation -- to a cascara pattern on the ride while keeping a slushy quarter note going on his hi hat. It feels and sounds good.
would be cool to see you demonstrate this on a vid (youtube) or sound file

drummert2k

Gazdkw82§":3afa29bg said:
would be cool to see you demonstrate this on a vid (youtube) or sound file
i heard a lot of people refer to this as "the john bonham fill" i think its also been called "the third arm technique" you basically incorporate you kick drum into a fill as if it was another tom. so for example, if you have a one beat fill and you use sixteenth note, you could do Right, Kick, Right, Left, as 16th notes rather than going right, left, right, left. its adds that extra sound source in your fill and once you get this down you can do some sweet fills. if you practice lots of linear beats than you can take the same ideas and use them in a fill scenario.