any suggestions smart people?

ccrdrums

im 15 years old im diabetic and have neuropathy in my hands due to that

ok the problem is my neuopathy makes it hard to feel my hands hard to hold on to things and it misleads my hands like sometimes i gotta look at them to see what im doing and my sticks constantly are coming out and my hands are getting pretty beat up from them hitting cymbals and such

any help at all out there?

bapudi

go with a thicker stick or find a way to lock the sticks in your hand. i had kinda the same problem when i broke my hand in 4 places. but i fixed it with a diffrent way to grip the stick

cableman26

Maybe try some of that grip tape for your sticks. Move your cymbals back further away, where your just hitting with the tip of your sticks. Not proper I know, but desperate times, desperate measures. I don't really know of much else, just don't give up it's easy to get fustrated. Good Luck. Alot of drummers where gloves, maybe that'll help from bashing your hands too.

wii2525

Try some gloves, i use Under Armour batting gloves, and they're great. They aren't too thick though, so maybe you should look around for something a wee bit thicker to protect your hands

keith bushey

I've seen these rings that screw into sticks to help people with "stick spinning", they look like they would help someone out with your dillema.

ccrdrums

thanks guys yea gloves are an option itll just take some getting used to i reckon that unigrip place looks cool

dwtoast72

wii2525":mknorwma said:
Try some gloves, i use Under Armour batting gloves, and they're great. They aren't too thick though, so maybe you should look around for something a wee bit thicker to protect your hands
Gloves are a great idea for this...But get drummer's gloves...most of which have additional padding or reinforcement at the pivot points in your hand where you'd grip the stick...

SmellsLikeIan

There's a new drum glove that has a sleeve built into the palm that holds the stick. It might help. I forget what it is called, I'll look in MD and see if I can't find the ad for it.

Atmerrill

Along with gloves, you might look at some sort of tacy wax (surf board wax?) - you could even look at larger diameter maple sticks - would give a larger stick to hold onto but without the added weight.

good luck!

wii2525

Yeah, they make surfboard wax, or any roll-on tackifier might work.

The problem I had with actual drum gloves is they just didn't feel right, but they do have the extra padding in pivot points, especially on the forefinger between the first and second knuckle.

NG1284

I don't have any real help for you, but I just thought I'd post because I'm a diabetic too :)

Diabetic drummers ftw!

amontholdDrums

What the hell, do what ever is comfortable and I think if you have to watch your hands the whole time, your comfortable. I think those drum gloves posted at the top are too extreme. at what ever the cost.. dont ever give up.. you have my respect for wanting to press on.. being young and at a disadvantage is twice the reason to quit. Good luck man and never give up!

ccrdrums

NG1284":31ezfyxt said:
I don't have any real help for you, but I just thought I'd post because I'm a diabetic too :)

Diabetic drummers ftw!

hahaha yeaaaaaa have you ever noticed how hard it is to check BGs after you play for an hour? haha

Angry_Monkey

Now I may be a bit off base here, but CCR said that he has problems feeling his hands/fingers. I would think that gloves would only reduce the sensation.

I've had similar problems, although more related to CTS it seems. I'm not sure if it's comparable at all, but I found that if my hands were cold, it only got worse. Perhaps setting up a little ceramic heater to keep the finger warm would help? I know gloves were the last thing that I needed - they only made it worse for me.

The other thing that helped me was to just keep on keepin' on. It may takes years, but the human body is remarkable in how it adapts to demands. I know I dropped sticks, missed my targets, etc, but I kept pluggin away, spinning sticks while watching TV, pounding on practice pads, and eventually the CTS effects started to diminish to the point where I no longer have the pain that I used to.

My two cents for what it's worth.

ccrdrums

Angry_Monkey":2n5j9p64 said:
Now I may be a bit off base here, but CCR said that he has problems feeling his hands/fingers. I would think that gloves would only reduce the sensation.

I've had similar problems, although more related to CTS it seems. I'm not sure if it's comparable at all, but I found that if my hands were cold, it only got worse. Perhaps setting up a little ceramic heater to keep the finger warm would help? I know gloves were the last thing that I needed - they only made it worse for me.

The other thing that helped me was to just keep on keepin' on. It may takes years, but the human body is remarkable in how it adapts to demands. I know I dropped sticks, missed my targets, etc, but I kept pluggin away, spinning sticks while watching TV, pounding on practice pads, and eventually the CTS effects started to diminish to the point where I no longer have the pain that I used to.

i cant say i know what CTS is exactly but neuropathy is some kind of disorder cause of my diabetes and eventually in the near future will mess my feet all up too im just waiting for that but theres not much i can do to make it go away so instead of trying to hopelessly fix it im trying more to cope with it you see?

dwtoast72

ccrdrums":80zre97a said:
Angry_Monkey":80zre97a said:

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT BRO!!! WAY TO STAY POSITIVE!!! <i>

i cant say i know what CTS is exactly but neuropathy is some kind of disorder cause of my diabetes and eventually in the near future will mess my feet all up too im just waiting for that but theres not much i can do to make it go away so instead of trying to hopelessly fix it im trying more to cope with it you see?