Any recommendations?

hero131

I bought a maple pdp kit about two years ago and I've been using the snare that came with the kit. It's definitely time to replace it, but I'm not sure what to get! My price range is around $300. I like the sound of those maple snares that are deeper (in size), like the 8 x 14 size.
Anyone know any good web sites I could go look at, or does anyone have any specific recommendations?
The genres I mainly play are like indie/alternative rock and also hard rock/metal.

Steaky

I use a deep DW 14x7 snare a lot and it has a nice deep thuddy sound. But depth isn't always the best way forward. If your slamming hefty backbeats down then it's great, but I find the depth looses just a little of the stick response for faster explosive playing. Thinner depth snares I find give the stix back quicker. I would recommend you add a deep snare to your collection as opposed to replace the snare you have now with one.

I have a Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute 14x7 which is lovely. It would be good for you to at least look at these as they come down somewhere price range(especially a used one). For the price they are a fabulous professional level instrument. Otherwise I'm sure PJ would make you a great Drum. Good luck.

J-rod

ive seen supraphonics go in that price range, they are damn versatile, im a big fan of them myself. never owned one but ive played on several at stores

Steaky

antiunderscores. What is going on in your Picture? It looks a bit like an advert for a man to man chatline.

And I agree that a Ludwig 400 or 402 makes a great starting point in any snare collection. The 402 being the deeper 6.5" model.

Mitchell?

Steaky":2axviy2p said:
antiunderscores. What is going on in your Picture? It looks a bit like an advert for a man to man chatline.

And I agree that a Ludwig 400 or 402 makes a great starting point in any snare collection. The 402 being the deeper 6.5" model.
It's a play off of Tom from Myspace's profile picture.

Anti's just sneaked himself into it.

He en't makin' teh Beast with Two Backs.

Alan_

I'm not sure if I'd recommend a supraphonic to someone looking for a deep woody snare sound.

Airborne Ranger

A Supraphonic or Acrolite are great drums but will not have a deep woody sound, for that I have a 8x14 Ludwig Coliseum. Mine is an early 80's model and I have a clear Silver Dot head on it and it has a big sound. They go for about $395 new but a used one can be found for less than that.