Any music majors on here?

mattcore

Hey i was wondering if anyone on here has or is majoring in music? Also is it a difficult rode to travel, and will all the money you pay for going to school end up paying off in the end. Im in my first year of college and am working on my Accosiates in arts degree and will eventually, after that, try and get into a nice music college (Berklee hopefully) and major in music. Any advice?

Thanks

FiestyRedDrummEr

mattcore":2erjjsiz said:
Hey i was wondering if anyone on here has or is majoring in music? Also is it a difficult rode to travel, and will all the money you pay for going to school end up paying off in the end. Im in my first year of college and am working on my Accosiates in arts degree and will eventually, after that, try and get into a nice music college (Berklee hopefully) and major in music. Any advice?

Thanks
sup homes.
I'm a music major.
It is really difficult. I'm not going to lie. and your first two years are probably going to be the hardest you encounter. But really. stick in there it really does pay off and it is well worth all the sleep deprivation. If you can get through your AA then you will be well on your way. And You know, half the people I knew (i.e. freinds who were also music majrs) dropped out within the first year or two. So stick to it!
Berklee is an amazing conservatory, i hope you get in! Dedicate yourself to your instument, sleep eat, dream it. And you willl for sure be ready to audition for Berlee within a year. Five sho.
If you wanna talk more about music and college and your trouble with your classes lol hit me up on AIM AlmostAnAngelCyn.
I started off at a community college simply because my grades weren't good enough to get me into any big time schools. My auditions got me in, but when they saw my grades i got a big NO letter in the mail. It was a very long and slow process for me, and very fusterating.

I got my AA and then went on to get my BA in music, I'm now working on my Masters. So I've been doing it for awhile now. Believe me, the money will come back. There are a lot of things for you to do with a degree. ANY degree even if you don't stick in music once you get that degree. Its a piece of paper that says you went to college, and you can earn ten times more than the people without that degree. There is a satistic i'm going to see if i can find it for you. But it calculates your life earning based off of how much schol you have attended.
I know its a hard road. But If a little girl from Compton California (thats right) who has had her fair share of ups and downs, and make it in college as a drummer with the big boys. So can you.
If you need any advice or are looking for other ways to pay for college let me know, i may be able to help.

Cyn

mattcore

cool thanks! Are there any classes i should be taking right now to better my chances of making it into a good school? Right now im just taking my core classes, music appreciation, and im in the Jazz Ensamble. And the jazz chior instructor has asked me to play for them, but i dont want to be overwhelmed beacause i go to school 6 days a week already! Also, How did you audition?

FiestyRedDrummEr

mattcore":1ovi93tk said:
cool thanks! Are there any classes i should be taking right now to better my chances of making it into a good school? Right now im just taking my core classes, music appreciation, and im in the Jazz Ensamble. And the jazz chior instructor has asked me to play for them, but i dont want to be overwhelmed beacause i go to school 6 days a week already! Also, How did you audition?
okay there is a lot there to answer.
So you might be able to help me out before I can answer these.
I need the website to your school...yeah...
I said it.
lol I'm not stalking to you or anything But I need to see the lay out of courses your school offers before I can answer that question to be honest. If you don't wanna put it on here, just PM or IM me with it. I know what Berklee is looking for cause I auditioned for them twice, and got in both times. I just decided to not go there.

The auditon require ments are pretty strenious but you just have to set your mind to it, and really just practice your ass off every day.
So. Let me ask YOU questions before I can answer yours.
Do you play set? (i'm assuming you do)
Do you read music?
Can you sight read?
How is your rythm reading?
Do you have any basic musical theory backround?
Did you ever march in a marching band, if so what did you play?
Can you play any mallet instruments?
Can you play classical concert snare?
Do you play Timpianis?
Can you play hand drums (congas)?

Answer these and I can help you out a little better.

mattcore

FiestyRedDrummEr":22ukazio said:
mattcore":22ukazio said:
I said it.
lol I'm not stalking to you or anything But I need to see the lay out of courses your school offers before I can answer that question to be honest. If you don't wanna put it on here, just PM or IM me with it. I know what Berklee is looking for cause I auditioned for them twice, and got in both times. I just decided to not go there.

The auditon require ments are pretty strenious but you just have to set your mind to it, and really just practice your ass off every day.
Do you read music?
Can you sight read?
Do you play Timpianis?

my schools website is www.centralaz.edu

yes i play set, i read music but i do need a little work, i can sight read but that would be my weak point, my rythm reading is good, ive never taken any music theory im looking into taking that class next semester, I was in highschool marching band from seventh grade to my senior year i played quads from seventh to freshman year, and was lead snare from sophmore to my senior year. I played concert snare from 6th grade to my junior year. I can play timpany but im rusty. I dabble on congas.
Thanks for helping me out with this btw i realy appreciate it.

SGarrett

FiestyRedDrummEr":3hupqr1b said:
mattcore":3hupqr1b said:

Thanks
sup homes.
I'm a music major.
It is really difficult. I'm not going to lie. and your first two years are probably going to be the hardest you encounter. But really. stick in there it really does pay off and it is well worth all the sleep deprivation. If you can get through your AA then you will be well on your way. And You know, half the people I knew (i.e. freinds who were also music majrs) dropped out within the first year or two. So stick to it!
Berklee is an amazing conservatory, i hope you get in! Dedicate yourself to your instument, sleep eat, dream it. And you willl for sure be ready to audition for Berlee within a year. Five sho.
If you wanna talk more about music and college and your trouble with your classes lol hit me up on AIM AlmostAnAngelCyn.
I started off at a community college simply because my grades weren't good enough to get me into any big time schools. My auditions got me in, but when they saw my grades i got a big NO letter in the mail. It was a very long and slow process for me, and very fusterating.

I got my AA and then went on to get my BA in music, I'm now working on my Masters. So I've been doing it for awhile now. Believe me, the money will come back. There are a lot of things for you to do with a degree. ANY degree even if you don't stick in music once you get that degree. Its a piece of paper that says you went to college, and you can earn ten times more than the people without that degree. There is a satistic i'm going to see if i can find it for you. But it calculates your life earning based off of how much schol you have attended.
I know its a hard road. But If a little girl from Compton California (thats right) who has had her fair share of ups and downs, and make it in college as a drummer with the big boys. So can you.
If you need any advice or are looking for other ways to pay for college let me know, i may be able to help.

Cyn
I wish I would've stayed in school. I didn't drop out because it was hard, I dropped out because I thought running the streets was more important. Talk about a seriously stupid decision. At 30, going back to school is a goal but not a very easy one.

joejoeplaysdrums

i was a music major for a few years - it kicked my ass! when i signed up for it i thought i'd just be playing like snare and set stuff - hell no. marimbas, timpanies, snare, bells, everything that makes a freggin' sound! but the theory was the hardest. music history was no easy concept either... tons and tons of memorization.

so yeah, i dropped the music major and became a business major - i lost my soul, but i didn't have to study anymore. i've been thinking about going back.

FiestyRedDrummEr

mattcore":2zpy8cp2 said:
FiestyRedDrummEr":2zpy8cp2 said:
mattcore":2zpy8cp2 said:
I said it.

Do you read music?
Can you sight read?
Do you play Timpianis?

my schools website is www.centralaz.edu

yes i play set, i read music but i do need a little work, i can sight read but that would be my weak point, my rythm reading is good, ive never taken any music theory im looking into taking that class next semester, I was in highschool marching band from seventh grade to my senior year i played quads from seventh to freshman year, and was lead snare from sophmore to my senior year. I played concert snare from 6th grade to my junior year. I can play timpany but im rusty. I dabble on congas.
Thanks for helping me out with this btw i realy appreciate it.

Awesome! So You have a good muscial backround. Very good you have a better start than most. Okay so I looked at your schedual of classes and first I wasn't that very impressed, but then I found the right schedual lol.
Okay so you need to start off by taking Music Fundamentals. It will start off very very basic but it starts off slow and gets you ready for the real theory.
So I hihly suggest this as your next semester:
Music Fundmentals
Band
Private Instruction: Percussion
Jazz Ensemble (yeah its two performance classes)
I say join as many performance classes as possible, because then you get more time to practice and use your instrument.
Now being a percussion major is not easy. We have to learn so many more instruments , and more techniques. Cause not every drums is the same. It takes a lot of practice and dedication. Because its not like violinists, we can't just pull our instrument out of our back pockets and practice at home. But its worth it.

Now If you want to audition for a university be prepared to be able to play two classical snare pieces. two mallet pieces, one in four mallets and one in two. Two timp. pieces (buy the Vic Firth solo timpist book very very good book i use it all the time)
You will have to play a little something on the set, they usually prefer in jazz style with your own made up fill.
You will also have to audition on some classical crash cymbals, using proper technique. And classical concert bass drum, using classical technique (muting the drum. rolls, stacciato)
You will also have to do some hand drums work of your choice.

Now it seems like a alot, and it seems over whelming now.
But trust me if you have a good practice routiene set up and you practice 3 hours a day everyday, you will be fully prepared within a year.
Good luck! and really, keep it up. You know where to find me if you need any help!
Cyn

FiestyRedDrummEr

joejoeplaysdrums":18a96k9d said:
i was a music major for a few years - it kicked my ass! when i signed up for it i thought i'd just be playing like snare and set stuff - hell no. marimbas, timpanies, snare, bells, everything that makes a freggin' sound! but the theory was the hardest. music history was no easy concept either... tons and tons of memorization.

so yeah, i dropped the music major and became a business major - i lost my soul, but i didn't have to study anymore. i've been thinking about going back.
Its never too late!
And yeah Theory is hard, but IT gets easier. After your first year of theory things start to get a little easier.

BillRayDrums

mattcore":15gi3i07 said:

Thanks
I'll give it to you straight-

If you want to live the life that is deemed "normal" in societal standards, this is NOT the gig for you. As with most artists, you are gonna have to suffer greatly for the art until you find a niche'. I have gotten real lucky (as most who do this will confess)

When you go to Berklee it's not as if you get a free pass that says "ONE MAJOR GIG AWAITS YOU UPON GRADUATION". Nope. Usually it's the guys who are not in school of any kind who are hitting the road. There's NO TIME for being static in one location!! I always wanted to go to music school but when I was 17 I was on the road playing hotel lounges, drinking vodka & tonics, and having my choice of the eye candy because I was "the baby of the band" (jeebus I so miss those days). I was livin' the life no doubt!!

Here it is, 21 years later and I am still working in similiar situations as I was when I was young. Oh I have climbed the top of the proverbial mountain. I've played almost every major music fest, recorded almost 100 full-length CDs, won a Grammy award, and lived abroad for long periods. I've taught one or two drummers that you definitely know, a few you might know, and countless others that you will never hear their names. About 1000 guys & girls have passed through my door as students. I have played every gig you can imagine, even some you can't. If I were to hang up my sticks for good tomorrow, I'd be comfortable knowing that I set out and accomplished in 37 years (the length of my tenure on the instrument) what many will never dream of doing in this business. And there has been a price- a broken marriage, a nervous breakdown, times of no money (read: abject poverty) and dealing with a crop of assholes that would make a group of charlatan sportsfans on a murderous, vandalizing tear look like a bunch of panty-waisted choirboys.

As you age, it gets harder and harder to do this. Not because the body doesn't want to work (different story altogether) but because the jading sets in. You can get a bad case of "who gives a fuck" and that's real hard to cure. Currently I am kind of in that mode. I have had to refocus myself on "in-town" stuff, as I have a 7 year old who I don't want to miss growing up. (only occurs once for them).

My advice- play drums for the love of it. Live a "normal" life. You are not cut out for this, trust me. I know I am not very encouraging but really, unless you are willing to sell off rights to your soul in certain instances you are not made for this task.

Hey, hate me now, thank me later. And should you throw caution to the wind and somehow reach the pinnacle of combined career/financial/emotional success then kudos to you. Maybe my telling you that you CANNOT do something will be the imptus for your glory. I was always told that this was the bad decision and still I didn't listen. Look what it got me...... (ROTFLMAO)

mattcore

BillRayDrums":1eks7zwr said:
mattcore":1eks7zwr said:

Thanks
I'll give it to you straight-

If you want to live the life that is deemed "normal" in societal standards, this is NOT the gig for you. As with most artists, you are gonna have to suffer greatly for the art until you find a niche'. I have gotten real lucky (as most who do this will confess)

When you go to Berklee it's not as if you get a free pass that says "ONE MAJOR GIG AWAITS YOU UPON GRADUATION". Nope. Usually it's the guys who are not in school of any kind who are hitting the road. There's NO TIME for being static in one location!! I always wanted to go to music school but when I was 17 I was on the road playing hotel lounges, drinking vodka & tonics, and having my choice of the eye candy because I was "the baby of the band" (jeebus I so miss those days). I was livin' the life no doubt!!

Here it is, 21 years later and I am still working in similiar situations as I was when I was young. Oh I have climbed the top of the proverbial mountain. I've played almost every major music fest, recorded almost 100 full-length CDs, won a Grammy award, and lived abroad for long periods. I've taught one or two drummers that you definitely know, a few you might know, and countless others that you will never hear their names. About 1000 guys & girls have passed through my door as students. I have played every gig you can imagine, even some you can't. If I were to hang up my sticks for good tomorrow, I'd be comfortable knowing that I set out and accomplished in 37 years (the length of my tenure on the instrument) what many will never dream of doing in this business. And there has been a price- a broken marriage, a nervous breakdown, times of no money (read: abject poverty) and dealing with a crop of assholes that would make a group of charlatan sportsfans on a murderous, vandalizing tear look like a bunch of panty-waisted choirboys.

As you age, it gets harder and harder to do this. Not because the body doesn't want to work (different story altogether) but because the jading sets in. You can get a bad case of "who gives a fuck" and that's real hard to cure. Currently I am kind of in that mode. I have had to refocus myself on "in-town" stuff, as I have a 7 year old who I don't want to miss growing up. (only occurs once for them).

My advice- play drums for the love of it. Live a "normal" life. You are not cut out for this, trust me. I know I am not very encouraging but really, unless you are willing to sell off rights to your soul in certain instances you are not made for this task.

Hey, hate me now, thank me later. And should you throw caution to the wind and somehow reach the pinnacle of combined career/financial/emotional success then kudos to you. Maybe my telling you that you CANNOT do something will be the imptus for your glory. I was always told that this was the bad decision and still I didn't listen. Look what it got me...... (ROTFLMAO)
Wow dude... you just made me realy want to prove you wrong. but mabey like you said, thats what i needed a more motivation. so... To everyone that reads this remember this name

"Matt Horn"

You'll probably hear alot of it in a few years
End of Thread

BillRayDrums

When I first moved to San Diego, an old jazz guy named Ray Tejedas asked me "where you from, dookie?" I told him and he said in a very angry voice" well go the FUCK back to where you came. We don't need another drummer here"!

That made me angry enough that I proved him wrong. And I'm not telling you this as an "easy out". You really don't know what you are getting into here. If you have a great support net, are independently wealthy, or have a screw loose (my problem) you will have a very rough road.

I give you 10 years as a "music and nothing else" type. Yeah, that's right. All through your 20's and into your 30's. Then reality hits and the dream gets shelved. I've seen it happen to many....there's no shame in it at all. Like watching that "NAVY SEALS Boot Camp" show where the guy who is weakest rings the bell.....I've seen a whole lot of bell ringing in my time. I've thought about it myself but haven't. I can't.

Otherwise, I look forward to your proving me inaccurate in about 20 years. I'll still be here, doing the same thing I am doing now. Playing drums, tinkering with web development, and being a dad.

joejoeplaysdrums

hey billy ray -
you're kind of a prick! you shouldn't intentionally discourage people from their passions - even if you think you're doing them a favor. how on earth can you know what this kid is like - you've read a couple of threads of his. don't be a dick.

FiestyRedDrummEr

You guys,
In all fairness, he isn't being a prick. He's simply saying everyones out to be the next great. And sometimes it dosent happen. He's telling you not to get stuck in something you love now, but something you may regret later. Take his advice. He's been around. Atleast take it for word value. And don't get pissed, because you think he is dissing you. He isn't. He's trying to shed some light and give some amazing advice. Come on girls, lets not cry now.
If you are determine, then prove him wrong. But he has a very valid point. And I really think we should take something from the Drummers that have been around the block a couple of times. Because someday YOU might be there.
Kepp rockin guys.

BillRayDrums

joejoeplaysdrums":2778knw4 said:
hey billy ray -
you're kind of a prick! you shouldn't intentionally discourage people from their passions - even if you think you're doing them a favor. how on earth can you know what this kid is like - you've read a couple of threads of his. don't be a dick.
No pal get it right I'm a FUCKING ASSHOLE. You know that show "American Idol"? Simon, how he carves someone a new one?? Well just think of me as someone like him. And guess what? Simon does those people a favor. He does not bullshit them into believing they are something they are not. Hey it sucks but he's doing the right thing by that person.
Edit- I am not one to hold back what I feel. It's not worth it to me or anyone else. If the above is of interest to you, then highlight it to see what I say. I make no apologies for my words because they are merely that- words. No action has been taken except to type those words. If someone can't deal with reality then go live in a fantasy land.

If I truly did not care I wouldn't speak up, now would I? Unless you live it already, you have no idea what kind of life this is. It's not easy and I have earned the right to shed light on the dark underbelly of the business I have known since I was about 13 years old. I made plenty of bad decisions and a few right ones. I care enough to share. It's a really, really hard business if not managed properly.

What I share is real-life experience and if it's too harsh for you then stop reading my posts. The OP asked a question about something I'm sort of an expert on and I gave them an honest answer. Sue me.

If someone asks the question "How do I survive in the music business"? I will give you the answer to that as well. And I will give you a much different answer if you were to ask "how do I THRIVE in the music business?" Different questions, diferent answers. I am qualified to give such advice.

Don't hate the player, hate the game. And as long as I've been in it I have every right to hate it. But I don't....I just keep on hitting my head against the same wall. See that big concave spot? Yep that's where my head goes.

BillRayDrums

FiestyRedDrummEr":2bgd27s1 said:
You guys,
In all fairness, he isn't being a prick. He's simply saying everyones out to be the next great. And sometimes it dosent happen. He's telling you not to get stuck in something you love now, but something you may regret later. Take his advice. He's been around. Atleast take it for word value. And don't get pissed, because you think he is dissing you. He isn't. He's trying to shed some light and give some amazing advice. Come on girls, lets not cry now.
If you are determine, then prove him wrong. But he has a very valid point. And I really think we should take something from the Drummers that have been around the block a couple of times. Because someday YOU might be there.
Kepp rockin guys.
Thanks for seeing past the thorns. I really want to help out and I see so many people get lost in this "I'm gonna be a successful drummer when I graduate school". How about being a successful drummer NOW, or at least acting like one? A college degree is NOT going to guarantee employment.

However, one caveat of this job is that they cannot outsource it to overseas. They tried that with drum machines, didn't work. There will always be a demand for COMPETENT drummers, good, great, sucky or otherwise.

mattcore

BillRayDrums":cbnmmglh said:
joejoeplaysdrums":cbnmmglh said:
hey billy ray -
No pal get it right I'm a FUCKING ASSHOLE. You know that show "American Idol"? Simon, how he carves someone a new one?? Well just think of me as someone like him. And guess what? Simon does those people a favor. He does not bullshit them into believing they are something they are not. Hey it sucks but he's doing the right thing by that person.
Edit- I am not one to hold back what I feel. It's not worth it to me or anyone else. If the above is of interest to you, then highlight it to see what I say. I make no apologies for my words because they are merely that- words. No action has been taken except to type those words. If someone can't deal with reality then go live in a fantasy land.

If I truly did not care I wouldn't speak up, now would I? Unless you live it already, you have no idea what kind of life this is. It's not easy and I have earned the right to shed light on the dark underbelly of the business I have known since I was about 13 years old. I made plenty of bad decisions and a few right ones. I care enough to share. It's a really, really hard business if not managed properly.

What I share is real-life experience and if it's too harsh for you then stop reading my posts. The OP asked a question about something I'm sort of an expert on and I gave them an honest answer. Sue me.

If someone asks the question "How do I survive in the music business"? I will give you the answer to that as well. And I will give you a much different answer if you were to ask "how do I THRIVE in the music business?" Different questions, diferent answers. I am qualified to give such advice.

Don't hate the player, hate the game. And as long as I've been in it I have every right to hate it. But I don't....I just keep on hitting my head against the same wall. See that big concave spot? Yep that's where my head goes.
Dont get me wrong or anything. I did pay attention to the fact that you have been there and done that and your just informing me. i dont think your an asshole or anything either. I appreciate the fact that you let me know its not all fun and games. But it is true that you've never heard me play or know what kind of person i am. Ive always been the good kid, ive always made right decisions, i mean im 19 and the first time i ever touched alchohol was last week! most kids are screwing their lives up with that shit at 12 now a days. I really truely beleive that his is something I can do, whether I come out of school touring with Prince or something, or end up being "normal". in the end I will always play drums, whether i make it or i dont.

BillRayDrums

mattcore":2bj086g7 said:
Dont get me wrong or anything. I did pay attention to the fact that you have been there and done that and your just informing me. i dont think your an asshole or anything either. I appreciate the fact that you let me know its not all fun and games. But it is true that you've never heard me play or know what kind of person i am. Ive always been the good kid, ive always made right decisions, i mean im 19 and the first time i ever touched alchohol was last week! most kids are screwing their lives up with that shit at 12 now a days. I really truely beleive that his is something I can do, whether I come out of school touring with Prince or something, or end up being "normal". in the end I will always play drums, whether i make it or i dont.
You know, forget everything I've ever done. It does you no good, and really at the end of the day after all the stuff I've seen, guess who is playing down the street at the local pub for $100? (that would be me....) All that stuff is in the past and is just a memory. MD or DRUM! Magazines aren't breaking down my door, nor do I care about that anymore. I don't want to be a "flavor of the month".

I don't know you Matt. I know where you're at and my goal is to inform you that what you are attempting to embark upon is not like your usual job. If you want something that will be consistent, above board (most of the time), get involved with a religious network of people. Your choice of genres and most importantly, mindsets will be somewhat limited (don't lecture me on the "god death metal" subgenre.....I know it's out there) but you can get some good traction doing that thing.

If you walk out into the unknown (where I've worked all this time) you have many choices. You can do the route of "coverband musician" and that's a quick cash infusion but you really don't want to fall victim to that way of thinking (my achille's heel of sorts for 20 years). Keep an original project brewing or at least play with someone on a semiregular basis.

Students- teaching will float you through some difficult times and you should charge market rate for your area, even if it's $1000/hr. Don't undercut the locals, for these are people you will be swapping gigs with. Get to know not just the drummer meatheads but also the guitar people, clubowners, etc.

Your major skillsets are going to be in the following areas- drums really have a small amount of space in what you are out to do should you wantto be a successful musician- learn sales. Learn to sell not just a product, but yourself. Learn to make flyers. Learn to manage your own website. Learn to create content for websites. Work on your business side more than your drumming. Eventually you will find which side needs more or less attention.

For what I do, the business side of things is something I CONSTANTLY have to keep a leg up on. The drumming comes so easy (most of the time) but it's the business stuff that screws me up.

There ya go.