any hope for my cymbal?

ajfranco645

i have 3 sabian aaxplosion crashes. i bought the first one (16") two years ago, my second (18") last year, and my third (17") a week or so ago. when i bought the 17" i barely noticed a difference in pitch compared to the 18"!!. do cymbals start out darker sounding when you get them, but then brighten after use?
another possible explanation could be that i tried to polish the 16" and 18" (before i bought the 17") and ended up making it less shiney and i think some of the grooves in the cymbal are sorta polished down. maybe this is why?? i dunno someone help me please, i dont want to have to purposely incorrectly polish my beautiful 17" to make it sound lower pitched than the 18" (like it should be)

scrubs

In general, cleaning/polishing should make the cymbal sound brighter, not darker. Many people prefer to never polish their cymbals because of just that - they get darker and mellower sounding with all the oxidation and crud that gets in the grooves. I would guess that if you played 10 different 17" aaxplosion crashes, they would all sound different and some would be noticeably brighter/darker than others.

ajfranco645

well thats what i think might have happened. i polished my 16" and 18" and thats possibly why the 18" is as bright sounding as my 17"

phoenix7289

Well I personally wouldn't want to buy a 16, 17, and 18... just get the 16 and 18, there's barely a difference....