Any Drummer/Singers there ?

phil-drummer

any of you fantastic people out there sing whilst drumming ?

aaaand dya think drummers secret make for better singers any way ?

Johnny Cat

phil-drummer":3c4r78e9 said:
any of you fantastic people out there sing whilst drumming ?

aaaand dya think drummers secret make for better singers any way ?
To answer the first question, I sing and play drums.

To answer the second one, not sure what you're asking. Playing drums definitely helps with ANY other instrument you pick up, or singing, because it gives you a better sense of rhythm and phrasing. However, breathing for vocals is much different than breathing technique whilst playing drums. Also, singing while sitting down is much more naturally difficult because of a lot of weight sitting on your diaphragm compared to if you're standing, so I'm gonna say no. Drummers do not necessarily make natural singers.

Brother_Bong

The problem I've noticed with singing drummers, is even though most people think it shows big talent, they are left without a "front man". So the powers that be are less likely to put there $$ behind that kind of band- examples Godsmack and 3 Doors Down. Both singers played drums, but were made to step out front. I know Sully plays guitar now, but think about it, why couldn't he have stayed behind the kit? Sorry if I took the topic in the wrong direction. BTW, I highly admire someone with the talent to pull this off.

SGarrett

Check this band out; http://www.fearthedays.com/. Not only a chick drummer that rucking focks, she's the singer too. Her kit is right up at the front of the stage and turned a little sideways for the "front man" action.

I had to sing in a band once. The bass player/singer looked at me one day and said, "hey dude, you're singing half of the songs now". It wasn't pretty. I ended up not being able to play or sing well. The bastards actually fired me for it, too.

screamkevin

I do backing vocals in my band using a headset mic. Singing and drumming is hard to do, but once you learn, you'll always be able to find a gig. It makes you much more valuable as a commodity.

Rockula!

I have no problem with the coordination of singing and playing
My problem happens when I have to put a lot of physicality into the song
I only get so much air and I need it all to play heavy

JasonS2C

I wear a headset mic to scream some backup parts, for emphasis on a few points, or to talk s*%$ to the crowd, but I can't "sing" per se to save my life.

break the prism

in my first band i did drums and lead vocals. my second band was an instrumental prog/fusion thing. with my current jam band i do the higher register harmonies.

screamkevin

Hack_and_Slash":3j11ttcz said:
No offense to anyone but I find drumming and singing, at the same time, kinda...well.... really gay.
Well, I'll bet that as a drummer who has the ability to do backing vocals, we could both go to New York or LA, and I'd get about 3 times the number of gig offers that you would. :wink:

OnusPro

I sing backups and some lead in my cover band, but not in the metal band. Our stuff is complicated enough without worrying about singing it.

OnusPro

Hack_and_Slash":3r8l9m99 said:
No offense to anyone but I find drumming and singing, at the same time, kinda...well.... really gay.
Wow...what a well thought out, mature comment. Don't let too many singing drummers hear you say that or you may get the living piss beat out of you. :lol:

SmellsLikeIan

screamkevin":2ghrhx5w said:
Hack_and_Slash":2ghrhx5w said:
Well, I'll bet that as a drummer who has the ability to do backing vocals, we could both go to New York or LA, and I'd get about 3 times the number of gig offers that you would. :wink:

Well put. I won't be so kind. You must be a very narrow minded person, Hack.

OnusPro":2ghrhx5w said:
Wow...what a well thought out, mature comment. Don't let too many singing drummers hear you say that or you may get the living piss beat out of you. :lol:
Yes, and I would venture to say that you would not talk trash like that to a singing drummer's face. I sing harmonies in my band, and I feel that my singing contributes a great deal to our sound. My guess is you are not capable of singing while playing. So unless you can do it yourself, leave the criticism to someone who's qualified. :roll:

Hack_and_Slash

lol @ catching feelings. Oh well. I just think it looks gay. There's nothing narrow minded about that. I never said it doesn't take skill or only homosexual drummers do it. I guess people aren't aloud to have opinions anymore. Plz don't cry if I hurt your feelings.

Sara_Tama!

Hack_and_Slash":2nmtzse9 said:
lol @ catching feelings. Oh well. I just think it looks gay. There's nothing narrow minded about that. I never said it doesn't take skill or only homosexual drummers do it. I guess people aren't aloud to have opinions anymore. Plz don't cry if I hurt your feelings.
Lmaoo your cool.

kool with k.

i sing harmonies whilst i drum, and add a loud emphasis during the chorus to add to our lead singers voice.
Fortunatly i found singing whilst drumming very easy, although its important for any backing singer to be aware of how much they input under the lead singer, cos you dont want to take the spotlight away, or ruin the song by adding too much.
TONS OF DRUMMERS DO IT! look at taylor hawkins adding vocals under grohl in the fooies new song pretender, makes a hell of difference, and He still looks badass doing it!
Whats singing gotta do with homosexuals ....?
'I' for ignorant :lol: