Ankle Weights?

scrubs

I sometimes put them on my mic stands to keep them from tipping over. They work pretty well for that. :wink:

screamkevin

Depends on who you talk to. Gene Hoglan (Strapping Young Lad) swears by them. But the only way you're gonna find out is to try them yourself.

Damagedrummer

I don't think it can really be so good for your ankles. There are no shortcuts for drumming. The only way to achieve speed and technique is just by practising alot. And after that some more. And when that's done....you get the picture. If you do want to train your ankles instead of strain them, you should try spinning. Or just ride a bike for a few miles everyday. You can also jump a rope. That helps strengthening your anklemuscles.Like boxers do...

vargasdrumbeast

Ankle weights are not for everyone, especially those who are just beginning, but for "adepts" I dont think that it would be a problem. Its not so much a shortcut, but more like toning them, like lifting heavier weights for shorter reps to tone your muscles.

mudoyal

weight will add muscle and consistancy, but for speed you need to just practice with your feet alone. it all depends on what you want.

ChrisNichols

I've never even heard of em. DOn't think I'd use em though...I think it'd probably slow my foot down too much for the kind of pedalwork I like to do.

Piddywiffle

I'm gonna try it next paycheck... I figure when we're talken drums a $10-$20 experiment is well worth it. I know I need to work my left leg a lot more... Maybe ankle weights could be used to "balance" your muscles.

But yea, if i'm willing to go out and put new heads on my set just to see how they are... then i'm willing to buff my ankles up. They will be nothing short of Arnolds ankles. Definatly NOT for girly men :lol:

FelterSkelter

Richard Christy had some interesting points in practicing with ankle weights on his website. I've personally never done it.

Flatliner

instead of on the ankles strap them on top of your thighs and play heel up, that will strengthen your thighs a lot, I'd reccommend this if you are a metal drummer trying to build endurance for those songs that you blast the entire way through. I don't really do this but I know it will help you since I've tried this when someone was sitting on my lap and I realized how much muscle I could build up on my thighs if I were to put weights on them when I practiced, then I got home and realized I didn't have heavy enough weights to get much out of them and just went back to working on my foot technique.

TheYardstick

I guess I need to specify, I'm not a death metal drummer, but mainly I play short blasts, but sometimes I like to sustain some nice sixteenth notes on my double bass.

Danny Meazell

Ok I do not know how true this is, but I have heard from a pretty reliable source that Pete Sandoval used to ware weights as heavy as he could find to develop his incredible fast double bass playing skills. If you have not seen this man play, youtube him.
Danny Meazell