Already seeing problems with new mods

Timekeep69

It hasn't been 24 hrs since the new mods were made and 1 thread has already been closed for arguing yet another thread was created obviously by a mod to argue whether a band is metal or not. Don't close a thread because you don't agree with it. I know some of the closed thread was starting to get a little personal but it was far from being out of hand. We're moderators, not babysitters.

I fear that this type of behavior is going to make DML go down the tubes. This board has done very well with minimal moderation. I've seen the effects of over moderating a board, the board becomes a ghost town. People whould be ab;e to expres their thoughts and opinions freely. If bad langiage and threats start then that's we're Mods should step in.

m

I agree 100%-
I'd much rather see a moderator address the problem by warning inappropriate posters or removing antagonistic posts that close a thread.
I guess it's better than deleting the whole thing, but I hope it doesn't get too out of hand. I was fine with the unmoderated policy, I just viewed it like usenet. You get your share of irritation, but the good outweighs the bad.

now it looks like a thread has been deleted- is that right? I think this starts a very bad trend here, I hate to see it.
If people can be encouraged to diplomatically share their opinion, there's no need for locking or deleting threads. Just let people know that disrespect is not tolerated, like on other forums, and things should smooth out in the long run.

I don't know what this is below- I did not personally post it: (was this supposed to be a reply???

i agree with you. unfortuantey some people find it hard to diplomatially shae theyre opiions and find it alot easier to tel people to go f**k themselves.

xdoseonex

I'm sorry but there was a thread about who the best metal drumer was. this thread turned into a 2 page argument over wether tool was metal or not. it COMPLETELY got away from the subject. So i split it. anyone who accually wishes to talk about who the best etal drumer is can now do so in a thread about who the best metal drummer is, without haveing to read 19 comments on why or why not tool might be technicaly classified as metal. I wasnt going to delete everyones posts just cuz everyones entitled. so i split instead of deleteing it.

as for th one i closed. that was a thread about dw drums being sold at best buy. which tured into a hyge argument over if how dw sucks or doesnt suck. and it was going nowhere.

so heres a message for everyone on the forum.
If a topic is no longer remotely about what it is supposed to be about. i will split it.

if a thread strays from its original purpose of prividing invormation for people and turnes into an argument that provides no information to anyone and does nothing except give us more obsene posts we have to edit, i will lock it.

people shoudnt have to say "oh i wonder if dw drum are realy going to be sold at best buy" and get smacked in the face on why someones dw kit is better than there mother.

I did nothing wrong. and will continue to split topics so the posts are at least slightly relevent. and i wil continue to close threads that turn into muli page arguements about stupid sh*t. they clog up the fresh posts and make it hard for people to find real information. people keep poting irrelevnt stuff in them and they just stay at the top of the forum list. like a beacon of stupiidty glowing brightly on a winter night.

this is a drum forum.

i dont regret doing my job, but if this bothers you, fi you absolutely need to argue wether tool is metal or not and you need it to be in the whos the best metal drummer thread. if you need to chime in on an offensive month old argumet about people oppinions on dw drums in a thread meant to aske if best buy was going to e carrying them.well, then i'm sorry i moderated your thread. but too bad, thats what im here for

Timekeep69

Whoa! dose, you need to take a step back. This is not your forum to do with what you please. There are 3 other Mods here whose opinions are just as important as yours.

You have no right to close a thread because YOU feel it's going nowhere and then turn around and split a thread to START an argument over something else. This kind of moderating will turn this board into a ghost town. Trust me, I've seen it happen.

This board was running fine with near zero moderating. Dont' screw it up for the rest.

Let me quote someone here:

xdoseonex":1xm3xoyf said:
same goes for anyone else whos goin to become a mod. do it responsibly

xdoseonex

if a thread has tottaly diverges from its original subject. i would expect any moderator to split it. thats why the split button is there.

and if you dont want me to close threads that turn into redundant arguments over nothing, fine. stump told me to keep the forum clean.

Timekeep69

People can argue all they want and still keep it clean. How about warning people before you lock threads?

As for splitting threads, You closed a thread because people were arguing over DW drums being good or not in a thread about DW drums being in Best Buy. Why didn't you split that one? But you split a thread about people arguing over whether Tool is a metal band in a thread about the Best Metal Drummer.

Do you see what I'm saying? You're holding different threads to different standards. Your personal standards. Once again, this isn't your board to do with as you please.

racefan33

xdoseonex":2fylfmgy said:
if a thread has tottaly diverges from its original subject. i would expect any moderator to split it. thats why the split button is there.

and if you dont want me to close threads that turn into redundant arguments over nothing, fine. stump told me to keep the forum clean.
Why? Why can't a topic like a conversation go off on a tangent? If the people on this board are not interested in that tanget the topic will die on it's own.

Rockula!

You people need to get your panties out of your cracks
I find the incessant re-quoting whilst trying to flirt with Feisty a bigger waste of time (and bandwidth)than arguing
Arguing is what people do on these boards
Did I start squawking when what's his name was threatening me over an argument regarding concert toms?
no
All of you goody goodies need to quit trying to prove how "above all of that" you are
If you don't like the content of the thread then don't click on the thread anymore
The s**t will die down eventually and wind up on page 5

m

I don't have a problem with splitting, as long as we know where it got split to. Maybe just a quick link to the split in the original thread?
That's how I've seen most forums do it. I still can't find the split from the metal/tool thread. Maybe I'm just dense though. :)

I'm sure this will all get worked out after some initial bumps. Respect and diplomacy keep a place clean, and most people can learn how to communicate like adults while still getting their opinions across, if they want to. If they don't, that's what moderators are for, to enforce forum policy.

I say Kudos to you guys who want to undertake the moderating job. It should ease up, I would think, if you just let people know what kind of behavior won't be tolerated.

mortem

I agree 100% with Timekeep. Closing the DW/Best Buy thread was a good move, but dude, you can't split/move/delete everything that turns away from its original topic. Natural conversations and discussions tend to draw apart from it's original topic, so why limit that?? Also, be reasonable with censorship, we're just a bunch of regular people talking drums and whatnot.

m":29bp7qmd said:
It should ease up, I would think, if you just let people know what kind of behavior won't be tolerated.
Yup, at least set some rules before butchering this forum.. but seriously, be comprehensive and reasonable. Good luck, mods..!

Timekeep69

xdoseonex":f9cg22nq said:
Redundant arguments = apples,

Keeping the forum clean = Oranges.

Atmerrill

Timekeep69":ca66eb0e said:
xdoseonex":ca66eb0e said:
Redundant arguments = apples,

Keeping the forum clean = Oranges.
I'm all for keeping it clean..I tend to think that anonymity seems to give folks the idea they can make any kind of crappy statement they want and get away with it, and it shouldn't.

With regards to the DW at Best Buy thread (SGarrett was correct in that it reached a point of beating a dead horse), I know that while it veered off it's original course there was some good dialog going on there. People were thinking about their craft, what they liked, and were putting into words why they either liked or disliked this and that.

That kind of critical thinking only helps us develop as players and consumers. I like to ask Xdoseonex to also consider this before he starts locking threads just because they've gotten off-track.

SGarrett

Timekeep69":ipi3axgu said:
People can argue all they want and still keep it clean. How about warning people before you lock threads?
That's what I do on the forums I moderate or have moderated in the past. It works well in some instances and not so well in others, but is overall effective.

(believe it or not, I posses the ability to be an impartial judge.)

xdoseonex":ipi3axgu said:
Rockula!":ipi3axgu said:
Oh yeah
Shouldn't moderators at least be able to spell correctly?
and what is that supposed to mean?
I think it means that since you represent the site now, you should put a little more effort into checking for typos. We all have them, lord knows I constantly forget entire words, so it's not like I'm talking shit to you.

And by the way, censoring cuss words is flat out lame and third grade.

Timekeep69

My whole point is that I want to keep this board the way it has always been. Let people disagree and agree to disagree. Garret and I had our own spat in a few threads, we had our say and the argument went away. I hold nothing against garret at all, as a matter of fact I was going to suggest him as a mod when I was asked to mod because he obviously knows alot about drums.

I'm having a problem with all of dose's abrupt changes. I wanted to keep the forum how it is, not come in and make all sorts of changes. Like I said before, my philosophy is "if it isn't broke, don't fix it." This board wasn't broke (I know, the proper word would be broken).

I don't see a problem with threads meandering around the core subject. Real life conversations do the same thing. Let them take their course.

As far as editing vulgarity, I agree, I don't like to do it, I feel like I'm babysitting so let's try to keep the language at least PG-13 who knows who's kid is reading. I was also told to moderate vulgar language.

SGarrett

Timekeep69":1sx9b1ys said:
My whole point is that I want to keep this board the way it has always been. Let people disagree and agree to disagree. Garret and I had our own spat in a few threads, we had our say and the argument went away. I hold nothing against garret at all, as a matter of fact I was going to suggest him as a mod when I was asked to mod because he obviously knows alot about drums.

I'm having a problem with all of dose's abrupt changes. I wanted to keep the forum how it is, not come in and make all sorts of changes. Like I said before, my philosophy is "if it isn't broke, don't fix it." This board wasn't broke (I know, the proper word would be broken).

I don't see a problem with threads meandering around the core subject. Real life conversations do the same thing. Let them take their course.

As far as editing vulgarity, I agree, I don't like to do it, I feel like I'm babysitting so let's try to keep the language at least PG-13 who knows who's kid is reading. I was also told to moderate vulgar language.
Well, thank you. I hold no grudges against you either. :)

So, basically, the language stops about the same place as it does with South Park, Family Guy, Lucy Daughter of the Devil, etc.? I'm one of those people who just cusses as part of a regular conversation but, I can deal with that.